Parallel parking challenged?
Oct 28, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #16 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
The way some people park here in Miami/Fort Lauderdale area I say that at least 35% of the drivers need it.
blink.gif

You must be referring to the Q-Tips. You know, when you see a car coming at you from some funny angle, drifting across a couple of lanes of traffic, and all you can see above the dashboard are two little white haired people. That's Florida, especially this time of year.

Oct 28, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #18 of 46
I could see people forgetting how to parallel park after owning and using this system for a few years. It will have much the same effect that calculators have had on our basic math skills.

Oct 28, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #19 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant
I could see people forgetting how to parallel park after owning and using this system for a few years. It will have much the same effect that calculators have had on our basic math skills.

The same effect cell phones have had on people's observation skills and the degradation of patience.

Oct 28, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #20 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant

...and the afect spelchek has had on ar abilite to spel gud.

Oct 28, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
I don't know about other place but if you can't parallel park at all they won't pass you on driving test in NYC.

ehh... all cars in NYC have scratches on the front and rear bumper.

Oct 28, 2006 at 7:14 AM Post #23 of 46
As we used to say down on the loading dock: "I could have got a tractor-trailer into that spot."

Oct 29, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #24 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
Someone who can spend 75k on car doesn't know how to parallel park?

Not that surprising to me. I learned how to parallel park when I learned to drive. But in the seven or eight years since then I have never had to parallel park. Just never came up. So as a result, I couldn't do it to save my life now a days.

Oct 29, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #25 of 46
I saw the commercial yestarday, pretty funny

Oct 29, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #26 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
There're plenty of people who can't parallel park even if their life depends on it. I personally know several older ladies who drive big S-class Mercedes and have no idea how to parallel park....they always use valets.
mad.gif

BTW, this is how you should parallel park

taht was legit

Oct 29, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #27 of 46
I consider parallel parking to be a source of personal pride.

I'm a complete snob when it comes to being able to park. I drive a ridiculously large car, and can park it very well. I have no respect for people who can't park small cars. My philosophy - If I can fit my 220" Olds in there, you had damn well better be able to fit your 160" Lexus.

Oct 29, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #28 of 46
Well I learnt to parallel park when I was learning to drive though it never came up on my test (although I had to do something similar instead)

For about 18 months afterwards I never had to parallel park again as everywhere I went there was always a huge space to park in or else actual car park spaces marked out. But then I had to a parallel park in one of the tightest places possible (figure about a couple of inches clearance front and back) and I found the easiest way possible to do it:

take it slow...

It doesn't really matter if it takes you 5-10 mins or if you end up having to spin the wheel lots to get yourself in but take it slow and you shouldn't have too many troubles at all.

As for these systems. Well I can think of more important things I'd rather have in my car (like the Mercedes S-Class I saw that had night vision built into the front so that at night as well as having your headlights on you could turn on night vision and see much further into the distance)

Oct 29, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #29 of 46
I think the reason they provide that feature was because the car had poor rear visibility, so when you back up you can't see how far is the rear bumper to the car behind you. But that can be resolved with a rear view camera.

Oct 29, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Probably more common than you'd think.

Seriously, how lazy can people get?

Next up, a minivan that parks itself AND closes its doors for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back