PASS DIY Headphone Amp - WHAMMY
Jan 21, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #106 of 274
The mainline with high impedance headphones and the crack should pretty close. Compare your crack (with stock tubes) with the whammy and let us know.
I have switched between the Crack and Whammy many times but I would not call them close. The tests i will be doing involve about 20 criteria per device so I will see how those two stack up at some point, as well as the Mainline in some blind testing. Five levels for each type of criteria. Most likely there will be 15 tube amps and about the same number of solid state so if the two score closely it will definitely show.

Jan 21, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #107 of 274
I have switched between the Crack and Whammy many times but I would not call them close. The tests i will be doing involve about 20 criteria per device so I will see how those two stack up at some point, as well as the Mainline in some blind testing. Five levels for each type of criteria. Most likely there will be 15 tube amps and about the same number of solid state so if the two score closely it will definitely show.
Looking forward to the book :L3000:

Jan 21, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #108 of 274
lol well it may be part of curriculum but a book is doubtful.

Jan 21, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #110 of 274
I have one but it may not be all the info you desire. I will try to take this to PM and explain what was going on as time allows.

Feb 2, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #111 of 274
Well, whammy complete! I used the same case as HiGHFLYiN9, but I choose (unwisely) to mount the board on the bottom plate. That made it very hard to size up where to drill holes and where to place things, and to put the whole thing together at the end. Lesson learned.

At any rate, it came out pretty good. Paladin79 helped me out with advice and wire (thanks!).

I wanted to put an LED power indicator in, but I didn't get the far. Next one!

9939473_l.jpg

Feb 3, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #113 of 274
Allan, I am glad that wire worked out for you and your skills are growing and growing. IMG_2844.JPG If you want a challenge, (not necessarily amazing sound quality) you should take on a Schiit Coaster amp sometime. Part of the fun is trying to mount one in an enclosure. I have a bunch of the blank boards so I could always send you one or two of those. This one was part of an MC Escher look I was going for but I could never get the globe to fit properly in a cast copy of my right hand.

Feb 3, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #114 of 274
Allan, I am glad that wire worked out for you and your skills are growing and growing. If you want a challenge, (not necessarily amazing sound quality) you should take on a Schiit Coaster amp sometime. Part of the fun is trying to mount one in an enclosure. I have a bunch of the blank boards so I could always send you one or two of those. This one was part of an MC Escher look I was going for but I could never get the globe to fit properly in a cast copy of my right hand.
Thanks for the pointer to the coaster, the advice, and the offer. I’m gonna pass on the coaster for now. I very not happy with my whammy build; it’s the enclosure and how I mounted it that I don’t like. I’m debating just getting another enclosure and transferring the board to it rather than a whole new build. A $60 cost for my learning more about what to think about with cases. For me, the lesson was “make sure I have easy access to everything in the case”. A decent cast cost $85 from aliexpress, or I could just get another of the same case and 'punt the board upside down like @Hi did.

I’m in Phoenix at a conference this week, so no playing with headphones for me for a few days.

How does the coaster sound? I’m really impressed with the whammy.

Feb 3, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #115 of 274
The coaster sq is ok but nothing special. More of a fun little amp for a desktop.

The Whammy sounds great, agreed.

Feb 5, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #116 of 274
Hey guys,

Curiosity got the better of me about a month ago and I ordered one of these ebay HDAM fully discrete dual op amps from China which are based on Marantz HDAM circuit model.

It finally turned up today with delivery to the UK taking about four weeks.

Only had a brief listen so far (little one is not very happy with chicken pox) but first impressions are good which hopefully bodes well as the Burson V6 op amps took a while to burn in before they started sing so am thinking these might be similar.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-Dis...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

s-l400.jpg

Feb 5, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #118 of 274
I am curious if they will fit inside my case, I may have to try.

Correction, I have one on the way, thanks Jamie!

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #120 of 274
Yeah I looked at your photos a little more closely and that helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back