Pass Labs - HPA1
Oct 17, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #287 of 328
Im considering the heddphone 2, anyone has any experience with them on the hpa1?

Jan 2, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #288 of 328
Going on almost 3yrs w/ my PASS HPA-1 and finally pulled it off my desktop to let it do double duty as a Pre-amp for my cozy “winter room” system. It’s an impressive piece both as a HP amplifier, and the more time i spend w/ it in a 2 channel role it’s VERY impressive as a pre w/ just the right amount of character for me. As a HP amp the sound character leans just a touch south of neutral w/ the most pleasant hint of warmth that is totally satisfying in the midrange for my favorite genre’s. The grip and control it has over the low end bass frequencies is so very impressive and it’s really black background and lack of any external noise really allows it to perform with impressive resolution or to at least allow your front end components to give it their all. The PASS HPA-1 has got to be one of the most impressive value kings relative to its performance and I’m thankful I managed to snag mine well before all the current price increases across the community. I was just enjoying it so much this evening w/ both HP and speakers i felt the need to write…

Gratuitous sexy shots…:L3000:
IMG_0665.jpeg
IMG_0664.jpeg

Jan 3, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #289 of 328
I was seriously considering the HPA-1 for a while, but a really poor review from ASR put me off. Silly, I know. I've never had an opportunity to listen to one in person.

Jan 3, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #290 of 328
I was seriously considering the HPA-1 for a while, but a really poor review from ASR put me off. Silly, I know. I've never had an opportunity to listen to one in person.
Go have a listen, they’re really quite sublime, sounding very much like the XA25 power amp I have. Big stage, rock solid images and just a hint of warmth with Utopia.

Jan 3, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #291 of 328
What's asr ?? Lol...seriously I don't belive half the stuff they ..well.

Listen with your ears not others..its a solid amp.

Seriously...
😀

Jan 3, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #292 of 328
Jep silly indeed...

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #293 of 328
You will miss out on many incredible performing combinations of gear if you don’t understand the concept of synergy and mating components In this hobby. I won’t question a person’s views but this is a hobby where your EARS should be the judge. That’s just me though and how i choose to spend my money and enjoy the hobby.

Jan 3, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #294 of 328
You will miss out on many incredible performing combinations of gear if you don’t understand the concept of synergy and mating components In this hobby. I won’t question a person’s views but this is a hobby where your EARS should be the judge. That’s just me though and how i choose to spend my money and enjoy the hobby.
I don't like buying things to try then return them. I do my research and weed out components based on owner feedback and reviews, then take a purchase forward. That's a very common approach.

Jan 3, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #295 of 328
I'm gonna ditto all the comments above. Not trying something bc ASR doesn't like it is kinda like saying the only valid color is white. And then insulting every other color bc they're not white. At least you admit that's silly

I do my research and weed out components based on owner feedback and reviews
Plenty of those on this thread and elsewhere for the HPA-1 that have a very different impression then the "experts" on asr

Jan 3, 2024 at 7:27 PM Post #296 of 328
I don't like buying things to try then return them. I do my research and weed out components based on owner feedback and reviews, then take a purchase forward. That's a very common approach.
Which is why I posted, gave some feedback and added some pictures, so that the community gets real hands on feedback for various product, especially those that provide exceptional value relative to their cost. Problem is my post is based on subjective opinion and my listening experience along with hands on experience w/ various pieces of equipment is an unknown to others thus your method is good for you. (ASR is a source as is this forum and many like it) None of the equipment in those pictures will ever test or measure well and don’t even get me started on the silly cables…Happy listening friend, my feedback to you was based on my own experiences your methods are fine..👍

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #297 of 328
Life is short....enjoy the music while you can...

After MANY years of this stuff. I wanted to know what the higher cost stuff really looked like sonically and build wise.
Many people drive Toyotas some drive Corvettes.....one cost ALOT more than the other...both get u there...in sorts.

Sonically there are MANY amps that will provide you as much listening enjoyment than the HPA-1 and other HIGH dollar boxes.

Schiit is a wonderful example of this.

So there is no need to pay the high dollars.

Unless you want to for whatever reason you have.

Heck the aluminum enclosure costs more to make than many complete amps cost....

Some sites, not mentioned often look at a price performance ratio.....and specs and more specs..
Their standards are their standards.

The HPA-1 is really made very very well, has excellent components, built like a brick shXthouse....will last forever IMO.
Can you get more for you money Yes you can.
But each and everyone of us have a different definition of "more"...

So again enjoy the music while you can...someday it will end!

:>)
Alex

Jan 4, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #298 of 328
A poor review from ASR likely ensures that it is pretty darn good LOL.

Jan 4, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #299 of 328
For George Hincapie, a bit of anecdotal audio wisdom: "if an audio component measures poorly and sounds good 🎼🙂🎶, the wrong thing is being measured 🤔😳."

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:54 AM Post #300 of 328
A poor review from ASR likely ensures that it is pretty darn good LOL.
@Strayngs don't you guys just love when someone hides himself behind pseudo scientific approach doing measurements and completely ignoring another branch of science that tells us that everyones hearing is different. I find it so amusing but in a long run it could be harmful to niche manufacturers and the whole market.

The long story short: don't let anyone tell you what you are hearing and especially what you should be liking :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back