Passive Speakers to Amp/Pre-Amp with RCA & XLR
Oct 25, 2017 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

MenacingTuba

Head-Fier
I want to connect passive speakers to a Chinese clone of the Violectric V281, the Accurate Audio HPA-A281 (upgraded from a Lake People G109; amp is connected to an Audiolab M-DAC) which is basically identical (think Gustard H10 vs Violectric V200) and want to buy some speakers since I don't like always using headphones (Beyerdynamic T90).

I've read conflicting things about passive (speaker output) to RCA. Currently I use a pair of trash-tier Optimus PRO-X44AV passive speakers for podcasts and YouTube.

th

I got these speakers from my grandpa who wired them with speaker wire to RCA. They distort with 50% and higher volume, are mediocre and not loud enough with some sources

I live in Canada where many speakers cost double versus the US, despite the dollar being 20-25% lower. Some exceptions are the KEF Q350 (650 on sale vs 850 normally vs 650 in the US) and Wharfedale 225's (500 CAD vs 450 US) which are both supposed to be excellent. I would like passive speakers to avoid needing to have more power cables connected to my already cluttered power bars, but will buy powered if passives are a no-no.

Page 21 of the Violectric V281 manual mentions using powered speakers, but not passive ones:

If you want to feed a power amplifier or active loud speakers, Variable-Out or Post-Fader (including level control) should be used. In this case, the line output provides the signal at the level set by the volume control.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back