PC gaming audio - Dolby Headphone, positional 7.1, mix amps, what?!
May 6, 2013 at 12:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

garetjax27

New Head-Fier
While shopping for a new PC gaming headset, I've come across a lot of different technologies and different ways to use them to get the best sound of your games. Being the clueless soul I am, maybe you guys (and gals!) can help me out here:

1) Do all headphones support Dolby Headphone technology?

2) Positional 7.1 surround sound - Can an ordinary pair of cheapo headphones support this?

3) What would the benefit be (or not) of using an Astro Gaming mixamp (like that found with the A40) with a PC outfitted with a Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality sound card? Is the use of the mixamp wasted in this application?

4) Is a headphone that uses USB really an audio sin where audio quality and perfomance is concerned?

5) Are headphones with muliple drivers/speakers (Razer Tiamat) better for producing surround sound than headphones with one single Left and Right driver/speaker (Audio Technica ATH-AD700)?

May 6, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
While shopping for a new PC gaming headset, I've come across a lot of different technologies and different ways to use them to get the best sound of your games. Being the clueless soul I am, maybe you guys (and gals!) can help me out here:

1) Do all headphones support Dolby Headphone technology?

2) Positional 7.1 surround sound - Can an ordinary pair of cheapo headphones support this?

3) What would the benefit be (or not) of using an Astro Gaming mixamp (like that found with the A40) with a PC outfitted with a Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality sound card? Is the use of the mixamp wasted in this application?

4) Is a headphone that uses USB really an audio sin where audio quality and perfomance is concerned?

5) Are headphones with muliple drivers/speakers (Razer Tiamat) better for producing surround sound than headphones with one single Left and Right driver/speaker (Audio Technica ATH-AD700)?

1) Yes.
2) Assuming you mean simulated 7.1 positional sound created by something like Dolby Headphone, yes.
3) X-Fi cards have CMSS-3D, a  technology like Dolby Headphone, and the mixamp is adding Dolby Headphone. I couldn't imagine using CMSS-3D and DH together would be a good idea.
4) A lot of people will tell you that the DAC and integrated amp are going to be crap on these, but I think the main problem is that these headphone's generally just have poor sound quality in general compared to similar priced headphones. Which isn't a problem with USB, it's just the way all gaming headsets are.
5) I doubt it, but I can't say I know from experience. The drivers are still just right up to your ear and the best positional sound is binaural which only takes advantage of two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back