Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Nov 1, 2006 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,804

milkpowder

Headphoneus Supremus
It seems odd that there isn't a Pen-Fi thread. So why don't I start one
tongue.gif

Thanks to mrarroyo, I've started my Pen-Fi journey, my third real hobby!

Here's my first pen, a Mont Blanc Hommage a Frederic Chopin Platinum Line (145). The pictures took me absolutely ages to take (and they're still not perfect
mad.gif
), so enjoy!

I'm currently using Mont Blanc Black, but I've got Pelikan Brilliant Black and Visconti Blue coming in the mail.

Last night, I also put down an order for a Waterman Carene Black Sea GT and a Lamy Joy calligraphy pen, which brings my pen-fi spending to $750 in just two days! Oh well, it turns out that pen-fi is highly addictive and wallet-draining too! Please share your experiences with your beloved pens
biggrin.gif
Oh, you can tell us what inks you use too! I'll post again when my Waterman comes...

Nov 1, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 2,804
Although it truly pains me to say this I feel compelled to do so. The pen is truly horrible, and someone of your outstanding character should not have to use a pen that is so below your level on enlightenment.

I will sacrifice myself for your benefit, send it to me and I will force myself to use it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Beautiful pen, enjoy it!

Nov 2, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #3 of 2,804
There is a Pen-Fi pen around here somewhere. I believe there are at least 2 of them. Anyway, I like Pelikan pens, because they are not too expensive and they are piston fillers, so you don't have to mess around with a cartridge or a converter. I have a couple of M200's a 140 and a couple of Go!'s. My next pen will be an M250, M400 or an M600.

I also just got a vintage Sheaffer Touchdown filler that I like a lot.

Here is one of the threads. It did not come up when you search for pens, because of the stupid ....

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...hlight=Pelikan

Nov 2, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #4 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01
There is a Pen-Fi pen around here somewhere. I believe there are at least 2 of them. Anyway, I like Pelikan pens, because they are not too expensive and they are piston fillers, so you don't have to mess around with a cartridge or a converter. I have a couple of M200's a 140 and a couple of Go!'s. My next pen will be an M250, M400 or an M600.

I also just got a vintage Sheaffer Touchdown filler that I like a lot.

The M600 or M800/5 is on my "hitlist". I'm probably gonna get a green/black M600 or a Visconti Van Gogh as my next pen.

I'll try and find the other Pen-Fi threads and hopefully a mod can very kindly combine the two!

Nov 2, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 2,804
can someone explain this to me? Headphones I understand because you get something out of them, an enjoyment of music. Does this give you... an "enjoyment of writing" or something? I'm all for ridiculous hobbies (go warmachines!) but this one seems completely beyond me. To spend time in your hobby do you just do alot of writing?

Nov 2, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader
can someone explain this to me? Headphones I understand because you get something out of them, an enjoyment of music. Does this give you... an "enjoyment of writing" or something? I'm all for ridiculous hobbies (go warmachines!) but this one seems completely beyond me. To spend time in your hobby do you just do alot of writing?

When I have to sign contracts, large purchase orders, disciplinary letters, etc. I pull out one of my fountain pens and away I go. Also check out the eyes of the other people around you when you pull out a fountain pen to sign off a document.
biggrin.gif

Nov 2, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #7 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
When I have to sign contracts, large purchase orders, disciplinary letters, etc. I pull out one of my fountain pens and away I go. Also check out the eyes of the other people around you when you pull out a fountain pen to sign off a document.
biggrin.gif

Personally, it's goes beyond prestige. I've always loved the feel of writing with fountain pens. I enjoy taking notes so much more for some reason! Also, I love watching my words dry! It's very odd and I can't really explain it either
rolleyes.gif
A good fountain pen allows a smooth ink flow regardless of writing speed and constant delivery of ink.

Nov 2, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #8 of 2,804
Quote:

(500!
biggrin.gif
)

You wouldn't understand if you haven't written with a fountain pen. The way they glide over the paper is almost magical. Plus they are a sweet demonstration of capillary action
wink.gif
. I am not saying people who collect hundreds of expensive fountain pens are all there upstairs, but buying a nice pen (even up to a a couple hundred dollars) is not that weird. If you take care of it, it will last you for a very long time.

People seem to be put off even more by expensive pens than expensive headphone gear. "YOU SPEND $1000 ON AN AMPLIFIER?!" "Well I guess if it sounds good..." "YOU SPEND $50 ON A PEN?!" "WHY?!" It's not that weird, damn it!

Anyway, people are impressed when you pull out a fountain pen to sign something
tongue.gif

Nov 2, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #9 of 2,804
Quote:

I'll try and find the other Pen-Fi threads and hopefully a mod can very kindly combine the two!

It's OK, I like this one better, because it has Pen-Fi in the title
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #10 of 2,804
Quote:

It's OK, I like this one better, because it has Pen-Fi in the title
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey same here!

Oh I saw a very nice M405 for sale, but I can't justify buying another pen! *MUST RESIST*

Nov 2, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #11 of 2,804
I really like your Mont Blanc, but they are a little to expensive for me. I like how they have special editions, like Pelikan has the city pens. Are Mont Blanc's piston fillers?

Nov 2, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #12 of 2,804
Quote:

I really like your Mont Blanc, but they are a little to expensive for me. I like how they have special editions, like Pelikan has the city pens. Are Mont Blanc's piston fillers?

Thanks! I'm currently using a piston converter. The 145 Chopin is a cartridge/converter pen. I believe the larger models 146 LeGrand and the 149 are piston fillers. Surprisingly, my 145 Chopin writes better than my dad's discontinued 925 sterling silver, 750 gold plated body 144(?) Solitaire (Classique size). His pen skips occasionally, which is absolutely disastrous when one is using it as a signature pen. The Mont Blanc rollerballs are superb though... It's too bad they don't do Mozart-sized rollerballs.

Some say Mont Blanc pens are horribly overpriced and not worth it. Others going as far as saying that Mont Blanc is the Bose of audio and the Rolex of watches. Well, I personally thought that my money was well spent. It writes beautifully and also looks gorgeous. I was going to get the gold trim, but after some consideration, I went with the platinum trim. I definitely haven't regretted my purchase at all even though I had a chance to the try the Waterman Exception Slim GT, Pelikan M600, Mont Blanc Starwalker, Mont Blanc Boheme Bleu Platinum, Parker Duofold International, Mont Blanc LeGrand, all of which were properly amazing pens (with the exception of the Starwalker, which I didn't like the design of. Weight distribution was poor.). I was tempted to get the LeGrand, but I thought it was slightly too big and flashy for a university student. So was the Mont Blanc Boheme Bleu Platinum (the retractable nib takes too long).

Nov 2, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #14 of 2,804
Quote:

i think some head-fiers just love to spend their money and indulge on items of the rich. Cigars, expensive watches, scotch, fountain pens, etc.

Nov 2, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #15 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
i think some head-fiers just love to spend their money and indulge on items of the rich. Cigars, expensive watches, scotch, fountain pens, etc.

QFT..

A year or so back I read an article in the New York Times that quoted Alan Greenspan as saying that Head-fi.com was the most significant contributor to the American economy.

tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back