Periodic Audio IEMs Mg, Ti, Be, C
Dec 1, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #1,276 of 1,454
8 Microns diamond/8+ ???microns (polymer)=ratio diamond to total (volume, not mass since I am just curious: you guys say alot about the diamond but the custom polymer substrate (which is traditionally thicker than the coating) is a footnote)

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #1,278 of 1,454
How does the carbons diamond coating differ from diamond like coatings on other earbuds? Also, how thick is the substrate? How much stiffer is an polymer film coated in 8 microns of diamond as compared to solid beryllium drivers (not doubting just curious)?
It's not an assemblage of carbon dust, it's an actual grown layer (true bi-cubic/tetrahedral arrangement of pure carbon atoms). The substrate is 45 microns, and it is quite flexible (it's a custom/proprietary ultra-high temperature thermopolymer). It's a little stiffer than the beryllium foil, but due to the heavier mass (carbon is quite a bit heavier than beryllium), has about the same natural resonance. Of course, in the small IEM body, the resonant frequrency is pushed really high (above 2 kHz), so we're in the pure piston-motion/spring-mass dominated portion of operation.

Here is a good primer on how diamonds are grown. Our process operates at a lower temperature, higher pressure (thanks to the smaller pressure chamber we can run higher PSI without concern), and for a longer time per unit thickness (typical growth rate are around 1mm/week, we're around 15% of that rate).

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #1,279 of 1,454
It's not an assemblage of carbon dust, it's an actual grown layer (true bi-cubic/tetrahedral arrangement of pure carbon atoms). The substrate is 45 microns, and it is quite flexible (it's a custom/proprietary ultra-high temperature thermopolymer). It's a little stiffer than the beryllium foil, but due to the heavier mass (carbon is quite a bit heavier than beryllium), has about the same natural resonance. Of course, in the small IEM body, the resonant frequrency is pushed really high (above 2 kHz), so we're in the pure piston-motion/spring-mass dominated portion of operation.

Here is a good primer on how diamonds are grown. Our process operates at a lower temperature, higher pressure (thanks to the smaller pressure chamber we can run higher PSI without concern), and for a longer time per unit thickness (typical growth rate are around 1mm/week, we're around 15% of that rate).
Wow, you weren't kidding when you said "slightly" harder, I was asking because I didn't know how thick the total driver was, but if the beryllium foil is approximately the same overall thickness, the vh hardness measurements on your site say it should (unless the additional dimensions impart some kind of reinforcement effect) be significantly more stiff not "slightly" more like double. What am I missing?

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #1,280 of 1,454

Great explaination, @DanWiggins.

Not to brown nose but Carbon is in my top five IEMs.

Keep being awesome.

Hope you have a great day !

Dec 1, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #1,281 of 1,454
Great explaination, @DanWiggins.

Not to brown nose but Carbon is in my top five IEMs.

Keep being awesome.

We're talking about carbon.

That would be a black nose.

:)

Dec 1, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #1,282 of 1,454
Wow, you weren't kidding when you said "slightly" harder, I was asking because I didn't know how thick the total driver was, but if the beryllium foil is approximately the same overall thickness, the vh hardness measurements on your site say it should (unless the additional dimensions impart some kind of reinforcement effect) be significantly more stiff not "slightly" more like double. What am I missing?
Lots of "classical" equations about stiffness and such break down (the 2nd order effects that you typically ignore) when you get down to the micron-level, when you are around 5000-5500 atoms thick...

Dec 11, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #1,286 of 1,454
You'd sell a lot more if you made a detachable cable, just saying.
We're working on that. In this thread I've discussed our plans. It's in process, but timeline is not released.

Oh. And I don't roll on Shabbos...

Attachments

• 20191031_084215.jpg
    20191031_084215.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 0
Dec 12, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #1,288 of 1,454
Can anyone give me some quick impressions on the C vs the Be? I've owned the Be for over a year and I can't think of another single dynamic driver iem that I'd prefer. Love everything about it from the sound to the build. I like my iems nice, light, non bulky.

What's the carbon offer against the Be?

Dec 12, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #1,289 of 1,454
Hi @BuddhaBruce,

C offers the following over the Be :

Impact
Clarity
Staging
Impact

C also has a more full range, leaning towards balanced sound (Source & Track Dependant) than Be
Be leans more towards Upper Mids to Upper Highs just short of being High Frequency Murder.

Hope this makes sense, feel free to ask more.

Dec 12, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #1,290 of 1,454
Hi @BuddhaBruce,

C offers the following over the Be :

Impact
Clarity
Staging
Impact

C also has a more full range, leaning towards balanced sound (Source & Track Dependant) than Be
Be leans more towards Upper Mids to Upper Highs just short of being High Frequency Murder.

Hope this makes sense, feel free to ask more.

Does that Double Impact feature Jean Claude Van damme

Users who are viewing this thread

Back