Peter Tchaikovsky Symphony No 6
Nov 30, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #48 of 61
Im glad to see that this thread has come back with new information. There has been a number of new recordings and box sets to emerge as of late--I cant keep up! The Mravinskisky recording has been my preferred recording for Symphony No. 6. I am curious how these new recordings will compare.

Bunnyears, I noted several threads where you referenced several art works, such as Eyck's Altarpiece of the Lamb above. I imagine you have had some academic study on the subject. Its very interesting to bring in such references. I suppose we are headfi.coms resident art historians.

Best,
iDesign

Oct 8, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #51 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by taoster
any new development on the best Tchaikovsky set?

Nothing new just what has already been posted here:

Best complete 1-6 set:
1)Dorati/Mercury (4,5,6 almost matches Mravinsky!)
2)Jansons/Chandos
3)Bernstein/NYPO/Sony

Best 4,5,6 set:
Mravinsky/DG Originals (just recently released in "originals" series)

Oct 8, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #52 of 61
Actually, there is reason to update this thread...

Recently, Neeme Jarvi has started a Tchaikovsky set on BIS. What a major, sad disappointment! I picked up the 6th and was very unimpressed. I had hopes for the 1st, but that was not good either. The sound in each is superb sacd, but the performances are bloodless, uneventful, and even dull. How could this have happened? Is this the same Jarvi who gave us so much exciting Russian music on Chandos and DG? What happened to him? Maybe Tchaikovsky just doesn't work for him. Whatever it is, this is not a great set.

My opinion of the best 6th remains Muti on a super cheap Brilliant Classics boxed set which includes superb readings of 1 - 6, but the best Manfred ever committed to disk.

Oct 9, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #53 of 61
Also Daniele Gatti has done 4-6 with Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
to great acclaim (this time on Harmonia mundi SACD). Another update to
this thread, so people's idea of "the best" may continue to evolve
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #55 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masolino
Also Daniele Gatti has done 4-6 with Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
to great acclaim (this time on Harmonia mundi SACD). Another update to
this thread, so people's idea of "the best" may continue to evolve
smily_headphones1.gif

Another vote for the Gatti recordings.

Has anyone heard the Kondrashin recording (the Pathetique) listed at Russian Disc?

M

Jan 2, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #57 of 61
Has anyone heard Celibidache recording of the 6th? After acquiring his Bruckner set, I'm interested in hearing more from him.

My favorite recording of the Sixth remains the Bernstein (even over Mravinsky), but I have the Jansons and the Gatti on order, and I have high hopes.

Jan 3, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #58 of 61
Celi conducts Tchaik like it's Bruckner: expansive, slow, and grand. He was better when he was young. I really am not a fan of Celibidache. He demanded so many rehearsals (even for music the orchestra had played countless times) that he dulls the edge and strips any sponteneity right out of the the music.

Jan 5, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #59 of 61
Igor Markevich, anyone?

I suppose I was a bit suprised he hadn't been mentioned yet. It comes on two Philips Duo's, and to my knowledge is easily avalible.

Aberavel with the Utah Symphony is an even better bargin. Second tier orchestra perhaps, but a respected conductor leads some special performances. Includes tone poems.

Other recomendations:

1. I think Szell's LSO performance of the 4th is really quite good, and I rather enjoy it.
2. Szell's classic Tchaikovsky 5th has just been re-released on Sony's Great Peformances line.
3. Finally, I also enjoy Ormandy's version of the 4th, on Essential Classics

Jan 5, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #60 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by BAwig05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Igor Markevich, anyone?

I suppose I was a bit suprised he hadn't been mentioned yet. It comes on two Philips Duo's, and to my knowledge is easily avalible.

Other recomendations:

1. I think Szell's LSO performance of the 4th is really quite good, and I rather enjoy it.
2. Szell's classic Tchaikovsky 5th has just been re-released on Sony's Great Peformances line.

Yes the Markevich/Phillips is very fine but the release of the classic Dorati/LSO/Mercury set is just brilliant, will knock your socks off in the same manner as Mravinsky, my reference 1-6 set:
Dorati

Agree 100% the Szell 4,5 are essential plus the 5th now includes Capriccio Italien

Users who are viewing this thread

Back