PFE's and Bass
Sep 18, 2009 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

zackw419

Head-Fier
I don't currently own PFE's but I heard they lacked bass. I listen to rap so I like some bass but it doesn't have to be 'monster'. Is there any mod to give PFE's a good deep bass? If not for those who have heard them, is their any other IEM that matches the PFE's clarity but also has quality bass?

-Zack

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 6
The PFE may not be for you. They have enough bass for my metal, rock and classical needs but genres the put an emphasis on deep bass may not do as well.

The NE7 or NE6 have much more bass and still have quite a bit of detailed treble too.

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #3 of 6
Increasing the length of the ear canal piece, thus reducing the remaining ear canal volume (as in size, not loudness), should theoretically increase the bass. I don't know if there are any aftermarket tips or foamies that are longer than average, but that might be worth researching. Also a custom mold might provide this benefit.
I'm also waiting for a pair of PFE's, let's see what we come up with.

Sep 18, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #4 of 6
You may want to try them first before judging if they'll have enough bass for you. They don't exactly lack in bass output, extension, or energy. You may gripe about the frequency response relative to other headphones, but that is an adjustable aspect.

"Lacking" is a matter of preference.

Try a set. It's $120 new.

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #5 of 6
They do extremely good and deep bass. However some users prefer midbass humbs and pfe does not that kind of bass.

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #6 of 6
They should have adequate bass. Even with black filters the very bottom starts to roll off, but it is not significant.

Not sure what your expectations would be though. For bass heavy look elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back