Philips 890 mod; anybody tried this?
Nov 15, 2006 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

thrillmetoo

100+ Head-Fier
I found this piece of investigation and was curious: has anybody else here tried this or did a study on imaging and soundstaging that some alterations might change?

http://www.headphonesguru.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page13.html

My thought is, that such a mod may improve the soundstage, but murders the imaging.
What do you think?
I'm also interested in the changes in sound of the Beyers with the use of their pads, mentioned somewhere else on the site. Ridiculously overprices though...

Nov 15, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 2
I think this one might work, so long as your head was shaped such that you still managed to get a good seal with the earpads. That's what those bulges were meant for in the first place, after all. I'm not so sure it would ruin the imaging-- a number of headphones have been designed over the years with angled and repositioned drivers for a similar purpose. It's also kind of worth a try, as apart from a couple of holes to tape up, it is reversible.

I've tried my DT990 with a couple of very different pads, and actually found that a pair of very thin flat pads (essentially with very crushed-out old foam) increased the punchiness a bit, though naturally with a little loss in soundstage. I think the most interesting headphone to try something like this out on would be a K400/K500/K501, where the very thick earpads are largely to blame for the distant sound they are often attributed as having.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back