Philips Expanium EXP201 first impressions
Aug 8, 2001 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Mike Walker

Doesn't pull punches
Well I've finally given up on trying to find a portable cd player with a decent fm tuner (the Panasonic unit I ordered from J&R DID NOT!) So I've turned my attention to my other interest lately...mp3 cd players.

You may have read what I wrote about the portable unit from RCA that I bought from Radio Shack a couple of weeks ago (I HATED IT! LOADED with glitches!) As I'm writing this, I'm listening to an mp3 disc I burned tonight with 17 albums on it (!) on my new Philips Expanium EXP201 that I paid all of 99.95 for at my neighborhood Wal Mart.

First of all what it doesn't do. There is NO ID3 tag support. NO titles or album names are displayed. But I haven't found that to be too much of a problem, as it's easy enough to switch from album to album with the dedicated (when playing mp3 discs) album plus and minus buttons (actually folder to folder is a more accurate description of this feature than "album to album").

So far, so good. The sound quality is as good as any mp3 player I've heard. It supports ALL bitrates between 32kbps and 320kbps, plus variable bit rate. I almost entirely use VBR encoding. Just as with my RaveMP 2100 solid state player, it doesn't like to do forward and backward search on VBR files. When searching backward, the Philips FREQUENTLY jumps back seven or eight songs, even back into the previous album, and turns on the DBS bass boost to boot! Well, with this class of product it seems that there ARE some firmware issues with all of them. This certainly isn't as annoying as some of what I heard with the RCA! (loud pops between tracks, muting of the first 5 seconds of the first song in each folder, etc.)

Wait...a minute or so ago the player suddenly jumped from the middle of the song it was playing to the first of the next. But after running it back to the place where this "glitch" occured, I can't get it to repeat (the mistake). So I guess it's just one of those things!

The album I'm listening to, a "rip" of my DCC (Digital Compact Classics) gold cd remaster of "Court and Spark" by Joni Mitchell sounds shockingly good for mp3. And I'm INTIMATELY familiar with this album...having listened to it over and OVER since it's release in 1974! All the little details I've memorized come through clearly and in proper proportion.

The overall sound SEEMS TO have a "warm, velvety" quality...which many would describe as "tubey". That's exactly what it reminds me of, a great tube amplifier, with everything positive and negative that this implies (perhaps slightly over-ripe bass, midrange that's "warmer" and more "glowing" than perhaps is strictly neutral.) But wait, that's what this cd sounds like! It was mastered using a classic reel to reel deck with all tube output circuitry. In other words, the warmth and "tube magic" if you will of the reel to reel's playback electronics are there in all their glory through this 99 dollar mp3 cd player from Wal Mart. That's pretty high praise, isn't it?

(The pressure of my Sporta Pros is pushing my glasses frames into my skin! OUCH! Time to change to the MDR-V6!)

I'll write more later. So far, this unit is certainly a lot better than I expected. Yes I do miss ID3 tag support, but probably not as much as many people because I'm visually impaired (retinitis pigmentosa), and have trouble reading the damn little displays anyway!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2001 at 7:42 AM Post #2 of 11
That's good to hear. I had confidence in Philips that it had made this a good player. Seems like a nice deal at a hundred bucks. The Philips player that I have from '98 does have that warm sound that you mentioned, so it sounds like it might not have changed except for the weaker amp.

This player is the bottom of a new eXpanium line-up. Coming sometime during Q3 this year, Philips will release the 301, 401 and 501 players. The 501 includes ID3 tag support and both the 501 and 301 include AAC playback. The 401 will be an 8cm CD eXpanium coming in Q4.

More info here...
http://www.audio.philips.com/list.as...um+CD+portable

Sep 25, 2001 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 11
Mike, which type of resume does the expanium have--Panasonic (resumes at start of song) or Sony (resumes exactly where you left off, in the midst of the song)?

btw, i note that the new 503 (North & Latin America) has no remote, whereas the European equivalent, 501, does.

Correction: in another place Philips says the 503 does have a 3-key remote, as opposed to the 4-key remote of the 501.

http://www.philipsusa.com/global/b2c...ctId=EXP503_17

Sep 25, 2001 at 1:25 AM Post #5 of 11
Heh. Coincidentally, I just won a contest (what's your funniest vacation pic?), and I won an Expanium!

Will be picking it up on Wednesday. Tell you all about it then.

Oh, in case you are wondering...

megacaca.jpg

Sep 25, 2001 at 2:02 AM Post #6 of 11
fjhuerta: THAT WAS JUST INDECENT!!!!! LMAO........hahaha.....lol........i'm cracking up out loud......that doesn't happen very often.......
redface.gif
CENSOR!! CENSOR!!!!

Sep 25, 2001 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by fjhuerta
Oh, in case you are wondering...

Oh, crap!! Last picture I saw you had the toilet seat on your shoulders
biggrin.gif
(your Sorrounder, of course) That's why I allways lock the door when I go to the doo-doo seat
redface.gif
. So, where was this contest? I am on the net all the time and never win anything
mad.gif
When you get the Expanium let me know how it fares with normal cds, I am thinking on getting one of those, or maybe the Rio Volt.

Sep 25, 2001 at 3:16 PM Post #9 of 11
Onyx... LOL!!! No, that isn't me, of course... I only take pictures of myself with the "toilet seat" on my shoulders, not on my... behind, of course!

The contest was for ex-students of my school... el Tec de Monterrey. It'll be posted in the ex-a-tec web page tomorrow... oh, I crack myself up just thinking about it
wink.gif

All right everyone. Here is the story. Last month I went on vacation to New York (yes... I am truly lucky I got to see the towers one last time). A friend of ours lives in New Jersey, so a couple of friends packed our bags and went there. Two of us took a plane to Las Vegas a couple of days before, and we picked up all the call girls publicity we could find there (which was a lot, and curiously, we got to see two girls with different names, but the same picture).

But I digress. Back in New Jersey, we gave all the clippings to a friend ("it is your birthday gift", we told him).

((Warning: don't continue reading if you are under 18, or hate practical jokes))

So he goes into the bathroom, with the clippings. So we did what any red blooded male would do: went to get some tools, prepared a digital camera, opened the lock with a screwdriver, and zip... out came this picture. And yes, the magazines he is holding are actually the soft-**** clippings. We were expecting something a bit... naughtier than this
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

But, hey, I got an expanium!

ps: Jorge, if you ever read this... I am soooo sorry

(LOL!!!)

Sep 25, 2001 at 6:09 PM Post #10 of 11
LOL! that's cruel! but very funny. However, I would never want to catch another male in the "ACT". It'll be as disturbing as seeing Michael jackson naked! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

But, how come your friend didn't hear all those noise coming from the door? surely picking the lock must have made some noise.

Sep 25, 2001 at 7:02 PM Post #11 of 11
That's even worse than I thougth
eek.gif
Poor Jorge
biggrin.gif
. Estimado Francisco, you are evil
very_evil_smiley.gif
. And that's so cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back