Philips Fidelio L2
Sep 11, 2013 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,146

sue4

Head-Fier
Got a quick audition at a local store just now. Even a chance to compare it w/ the L1 side-by-side. Boldly to say that the aesthetic is improved. The orange part is not ugly at all, as it may hint at the 1st glance. More "young" and "sporty", not to mean at all a sport headphone. The bulit quality is also better than the predecessor, obviously more refined and rigorous and extremely durable. About the sound, Philips is success in increasing the details. It is more live-like, overall. The mids are so clear. The bass sounds more natural w/ good impact but, sadly, less textured than the L1 (at least to my ear in that brief audition). IF there be any disappointment of this headphone, it may come from the highs. To my preference, Philips set them a bit too high. The highs become sibilant to some recordings (I would prefer the highs of L1). It is not a breakdealer, I guess. The overall value of this product is very good, and maybe even more when someone take the quality:price ratio into consideration. If I have to spend 300 USD for this, I will be highly satisfied.

Oct 19, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 1,146
Oct 20, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #8 of 1,146
  L2 is a huge improvement over the L1. Can't wait to take a close listen.

I wish it was coming out a little earlier instead of feb 2014 for the US but time flies. 

What ways would you say it improves just from your quick listen? I am hoping the midrange is good.  I read it has better treble and the bass extends further. Someone else posted that it's treble is a little overdone (my paraphrase on what they said).... also with details that best the x1!!!.. I hope that isnt just from the treble.

As far as looks go... it looks decent. Looks don't seem like a huge improvement over the l1 but at the same time they didn't need to improve much. The l1 is one of the best looking cans out along with the x1 imo.

Oct 20, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #9 of 1,146
  L2 is a huge improvement over the L1. Can't wait to take a close listen.

HiFiGuy, do you think the earpads are removable? How is the isolation, seeing that these are semi-open?

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #11 of 1,146
  They're not replaceable and the isolation is quite alright actually.

What a shame that they are not replaceable. When the pads get worn out, out the headphones go, unless you can find a DIY solution to replace them.

Oct 23, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #14 of 1,146
Can I make anyone happy with my impression of the Philips Fidelio L2? They're widely available here in the Netherlands (being that Philips is a Dutch company).

Just note, I am returning these, but that's purely because of comfort, as the earcups are too small for my ears (they're about 59mm long, my ears about 65mm). But let me tell you how they sound :)

So the soundstage is quite wide. I've never owned or heard open headphones before, so this was my first experience with such headphones. They're marketed as semi-open, so it does block out a little bit of outside noise (but not much, definitely doesn't compare to a closed headphone). So also in terms of leakage other people will be able to hear you, especially in quiet environments.

The bass is very taught and well controlled, yet delivers plenty of it when the music calls for it. It's not boomy or bloated, just very tight. The mids are slightly upfront (take this 'upfront' bit with a grain of salt, my ears might only have been used to headphones with recessed mids, I've never heard true neutral headphones before) but sound very nice. Vocals have a nice airy quality to it. The treble is also very crisp and pleasant. It got a bit harsh with some bad recordings, but otherwise it sounded great. There is also loads of detail in the music, in part because of the nice treble in the headphones. I heard new bits in some songs I hadn't heard before (not that it's not there with other headphones, but I just never really noticed because it was more in the background). I think this headphone will be a winner for a lot of people :)

Oct 23, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #15 of 1,146
They sound more like the fidelio x1 with a smaller soundstage and more isolation.  The l1 was one of the most uncomfortable cans I've owned because of both the small earcups and crazy clamping pressure.  It seems those issues have returned.   Thanks for the impressions!  Now I'll look more into the k545 and HP50.  I always though I had a small head and smaller ears but now that I know that the Momentum is way too small, the K550 fits on my head,and the a900x almost (lol, how could this fit anyone's head?!) fits on my head (and the 1r's pads are too thin), I can't take any chances.  Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back