Philips Headphones
Jan 26, 2010 at 10:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Deep Funk

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,

as for this thread I'm curious. There are many brands of headphones but some are better known yet reviews and additional information and user comments are hard to find.

Philips

Their latest offerings fascinate me because the design is pleasant to behold and the specification don't look bad. In fact the low pricing is tempting.

Now if I would get such a Philips headphone I would use it mostly outdoors and therefor this thread is in the portable headphone section. What is your experience with the Philips headphones, on or around ear?

Some examples:
SBCHP 400
SHL9560
SHH8608
SHL 9600

Jan 31, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

as for this thread I'm curious. There are many brands of headphones but some are better known yet reviews and additional information and user comments are hard to find.

Philips

Their latest offerings fascinate me because the design is pleasant to behold and the specification don't look bad. In fact the low pricing is tempting.

Now if I would get such a Philips headphone I would use it mostly outdoors and therefor this thread is in the portable headphone section. What is your experience with the Philips headphones, on or around ear?

Some examples:
SBCHP 400
SHL9560
SHH8608
SHL 9600

The low end of the Philips line has consistently disappointed me, especially for the prices that they go for here in the States. Three of the 'phones on your list look like they might be too big for outdoor or portable use, and are not officially available here in the States (so I cannot comment on their sound quality).

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 6
I love Philips headphones. When i was a lad, names liuke Philips and JVC were a bit of a joke, but they've started to make half decent gear.

I loved my Philips SHP5400, and i love the SHL9500 portable headphones. O.K. they may be a touch bright, but as valur for money goes, i prfer them over my PX200's.

Not only that, but the PX200's have been palgued by the counterfeit market, and getting hold of a genuine pair is tricky and expensive if you get it wrong!

the 9500 doesn't quite have the depth or smoothness of the PX200, but sometimes that can wok in Philips' favour. but remember, there is a price difference.

I prefered the Philips SHP5400 over my Goldring DR50's.

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #5 of 6
I checked it out quickly. In the Netherlands they now offer the 5401 and 5500. They look pretty much identical but I do hope the cable is of good quality. My Aurvana Lives have flimsy cables which are a serious let down.

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #6 of 6
Five, six months later: Philips SBC HP830 two times and one Philips SBC HP1000 are in my proud possession. Philips made some cool audio gear like the CD751/753, CD880 and more devices. 

The HP1000 is a treat when listening to music. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back