Philly meet Jan 29th 2017 Impressions thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #31 of 83
Lee, thank you for posting such a great variety of photos from the meet!  My head is still spinning from the whole thing. On that note, I was finally able to get these uploaded so here are a few more from the event, in no particular order:

Jan 30, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #32 of 83
Very nice, Jaytek!

Jan 30, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #33 of 83
Excellent meet, can find detailed impressions on my site (link in my signature) but on a high level:

Hifiman Edition 6

Boy this was disappointing.  Exaggerated midbass and lower mids, exaggerated treble, and terrible clarity that made everything sound distant.  Also just sounded extremely compressed to me, not a fan, hoping part of the fault lies with the new EF1000 they had it hooked up to, would have loved to try this on my setup.

MDR-Z1R

If Sony's intention was to try to achieve stat sound with a dynamic driver, I think they did it.  As fast and clear as some of the electrostats I've heard, and missing some of that dynamics, the physical impact and texture that I really love.

Inspire IHA-1

This little tube amp was a treat, which I could have heard it from something outputting a real line level source (I never got around to trying it with the TT), but this had that great out of head staging, great dynamics in the mids and treble wtih slightly soft bass.  Made for an excellent listen, great when paired with my ZMF Eikon.

Eddie Current Balancing Act

Hooked up to the Ygg, this was one of the best setups of the meet IMO.  Sounded fastastic, the imaging and separation of instruments on this setup was something to behold.  A little glare in the top end, maybe from the lack of warm up, but still the technicalities of this setup really shone through.

Thanks again to Lee for organizing this so graciously and a pleasure to meet all of you, I certainly hope to be back again for another one of these!

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #35 of 83
  Excellent meet, can find detailed impressions on my site (link in my signature) but on a high level:

Hifiman Edition 6

Boy this was disappointing.  Exaggerated midbass and lower mids, exaggerated treble, and terrible clarity that made everything sound distant.  Also just sounded extremely compressed to me, not a fan, hoping part of the fault lies with the new EF1000 they had it hooked up to, would have loved to try this on my setup.

MDR-Z1R

If Sony's intention was to try to achieve stat sound with a dynamic driver, I think they did it.  As fast and clear as some of the electrostats I've heard, and missing some of that dynamics, the physical impact and texture that I really love.

Inspire IHA-1

This little tube amp was a treat, which I could have heard it from something outputting a real line level source (I never got around to trying it with the TT), but this had that great out of head staging, great dynamics in the mids and treble wtih slightly soft bass.  Made for an excellent listen, great when paired with my ZMF Eikon.

Eddie Current Balancing Act

Hooked up to the Ygg, this was one of the best setups of the meet IMO.  Sounded fastastic, the imaging and separation of instruments on this setup was something to behold.  A little glare in the top end, maybe from the lack of warm up, but still the technicalities of this setup really shone through.

Thanks again to Lee for organizing this so graciously and a pleasure to meet all of you, I certainly hope to be back again for another one of these!

Thank you for impressions.

On your site blog review, was the Sony MDR-R10 from this meet a "bass-light" or "bass-heavy" version MDR-R10 ?, please. The serial number could also indicate which version was there.

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #37 of 83
Well I made it less than 24 hours before buying the Hifiman Edition X, lol. Figured this meet would cost me money, but staying away from the gear out of my budget, helped tremendously. Can't even begin to express how impressed I was with them. Thought going in, I would end up with the Focal Elear. I did really enjoy them, but the X was just mind blowing.

Hopefully everyone found their next gear to target. Always great seeing everyone's goal in audio.

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #40 of 83
Well I made it less than 24 hours before buying the Hifiman Edition X, lol. Figured this meet would cost me money, but staying away from the gear out of my budget, helped tremendously. Can't even begin to express how impressed I was with them. Thought going in, I would end up with the Focal Elear. I did really enjoy them, but the X was just mind blowing.

Hopefully everyone found their next gear to target. Always great seeing everyone's goal in audio.

Were the cables for the X stock & was it driven by the Auralic Taurus mkII?

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #41 of 83

The cables were an inexpensive balanced Canare cable from c3audio and yes, they were running on the Taurus MkII with a Gumby as the source. 

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #42 of 83

Driven by the Auralic, yes. Cables I believe were custom made, but I'm not positive.

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #43 of 83
Hi Xeph11, I am sorry I know you came by a couple times.  I recall you tried them once but did not know you had something you wanted to try them on.  We are pretty flexible if you ask.  We will have the newest prototype in NYC for CAN JAM and it will be a huge improvement over the version that was at the show.  Come by and say hello.

Jan 31, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #44 of 83
HI Mybrnes, 

What were you looking to listen to?  This way we can try and incorporate it into the list.  Drop some tracks on me so I can get a feel.

Thanks

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #45 of 83
So, of course there was some incredible gear on display but I was really impressed with the Auralic Taurus (price v performance) - So much so I've just bought one.

I tried to hold off until after CJNYC but got a good deal. Now, can I resist buying a pair of HE-X2's? 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back