Phonak Audeo PFE 122 vs Sony MDR-7550 vs VSonic GR07 MKII
Sep 26, 2012 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

snappyaxolotl

100+ Head-Fier
I've spent a while looking for good in-ears around the <$300 price range. After consulting several audiophiles and doing my research, I've finally narrowed down my options to these three IEMs. 

I know there's a good chance this is a repost, but this post includes information that specifically suits my listening style.

It would be nice to hear comparisons between the three, for people who have them, and their impressions after some burn-in. Feedback from owners or people who have auditioned these IEMs would help me most in choosing the perfect headphones.

Here are some details and factors I will be considering:

Accessories-
The accessories I usually use are the tips, shirt clip, case, and silicon adapters if provided. Cable guides and cleaning tools are certainly nice, but optional. The only question I can ask is how good they work with the headphones.

Build Quality-
I want these in ears to last as long as possible, forever maybe. I take good care of my headphones, but I will use them a lot-from listening to my Sansa Clip+ to playing video games. I use them sometimes in the house and every time I leave the house.

Noise Isolation-
Not a huge deal, just need average isolation (like 3/5 on a scale of 1-5). While it is nice to filter out outside noise such as car engine noise or people talking elsewhere, I do often talk to people with my headphones in my ear, and I would like to hear if a car is coming by when I go outside, so average isolation is good.

Microphonics-
I never found microphonics a huge problem when listening to music, but it certainly does matter. Microphonics seem to be a problem on IEMs, though. From time to time, I will play with my headphone cables, tangle them, wrap them, and untangle them when they get tangled because they’re a mess.

Comfort-
I will be wearing my headphones for hours of time, and can listen to 200+ songs without removing them. I want my headphones to feel as if it were cushioning my ear or is just simply not there anymore.

Sound Quality-
I enjoy listening to classical music, techno and electronic (videogames/movies/YouTube), rap, hip-hop, and pop. I will also be using it to watch videos, play movies, conference, chat on the phone via Skype or smartphone, and when playing video games.

Value-
To me, $200-$300 is quite a large investment. I want every single cent to be worth its price. Also, I don’t want fakes.

Sound Signature-
I like euphonic, juicy and lush and sturdy music. I value accuracy, clarity, and pay attention to low sounds. I would like my sound to be balanced, gripped, and brilliant. Punchy bass and treble is important.

Additional Details-
The source of my audio is usually my Sandisk Sansa Clip+. I will plug them into my radio and computer, though, when I do want to use them. I will be purchasing them off Amazon, or places where Amazon Checkout is accepted. 

Looking forward to hearing any feedback or comparisons. Thanks to all helpful replies I receive!

UPDATE: The Sony MDR-EX600 has been updated to the MDR-7750. In the poll, vote for the EX600 if you wish to vote for the 7750s. Still taking suggestions!

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 19
Either GR07 or look into the MDR-7550s. They treble isn't offensive and it has a very nice mid-range. Its next in line to the EX1000 in technical ability.

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 19
+1 for the GR07 
smile.gif

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:
Either GR07 or look into the MDR-7550s. They treble isn't offensive and it has a very nice mid-range. Its next in line to the EX1000 in technical ability.

That's a good sugestion on the MDR-7550's, but the problem is that they cost almost twice as much as the GR07's... 
beerchug.gif

So, +1 on the GR07!

Sep 26, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:
If the MDR-7550s is better, I will be willing to pay the extra $120. But it has to be $120 better.

IMO its the better IEM. The GR07s treble is boarder-line sibilant and not the easiest on the ears. The Sonys just improve upon what the GR07 does across the board, from the bass, treble to the mids. The Sony also has a noticeably larger sound stage compared to the GR07. For me it is worth the extra money. I got my pair for $250.00 with free shipping.

Sep 26, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #14 of 19
Phonaks are just cracking (even though mine are in the FS section ((new customs inbound)).  Especially changing the filters gives you so much diversity over an already great sound.

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #15 of 19
So from what I think it is right now-

Sony MDR-EX600 < Phonak PFE122 < VSonic GR07 < Sony MDR-7550.

I think I have it right...

Is there any other IEM that should be recommended (<$300 and on Amazon of course)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back