Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Jan 7, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #9,361 of 37,727
Did you try LOD in your combo? Any major differences? 

BTW great photo:p

Thank you!
Nope, I have yet tried with LOD as I do not have a lightning to 30pin adapter.
However, I did some reading on this URL: http://www.head-fi.org/t/635800/impression-apple-nano-7g-lightning-to-30pin-adapter and it seems pretty convincing that a LOD or double amp sounded identical. Hence, in order to pursue my "pocket friendly" portable rig I had dropped the idea of using LOD.

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #9,362 of 37,727
Comparison between Sony WM ZX 1 + PHA 2 vs + Mass Ko Bo 385:

Set up A :

Source : Sony WM ZX 1
Dac Amp : Sony PHA 2

Set up B :

Amp : Mass Ko Bo 385

Headphone : set up A and B use LCD 2 rev 3 with SAA cable

Cable : mini to mini diy copper gold cable

Connection : both use mini to mini cable between WM ZX 1 headphone out to line in both amp

The result :

Set up B has fuller sound and better sound quality
High : more clear and better clarity
Mid : better pronounce and cleaner
Bass: has better bass impact and Better bass body

Power : more power than set up A

If I use : H Res Cable for set up A , that's mean I use dac and Amp from Sony PHA 2

The result :

Are more or less the same level
High : set Up B is slightly Breiter
Mid : more analog and natural
Bass: is on par now

Power : is about the same

The best SQ :
if I use set up A and use Sony PHA 2 LINE OUT connect to my Mass Ko Bo 385 LIBE IN

IMO

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #9,364 of 37,727
I dig that color!

Thanks! If you're referring to the CIEMs then there are some slightly better shots in my review here 
smile.gif

Jan 8, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #9,368 of 37,727
Comparison between Sony WM ZX 1 + PHA 2 vs + Mass Ko Bo 385:

Set up A :

Dac Amp : Sony PHA 2

Set up B :

Amp : Mass Ko Bo 385

Headphone : set up A and B use LCD 2 rev 3 with SAA cable

Cable : mini to mini diy copper gold cable

Connection : both use mini to mini cable between WM ZX 1 headphone out to line in both amp

The result :

Set up B has fuller sound and better sound quality
High : more clear and better clarity
Mid : better pronounce and cleaner
Bass: has better bass impact and Better bass body

Power : more power than set up A

If I use : H Res Cable for set up A , that's mean I use dac and Amp from Sony PHA 2

The result :

Are more or less the same level
High : set Up B is slightly Breiter
Mid : more analog and natural
Bass: is on par now

Power : is about the same

The best SQ :
if I use set up A and use Sony PHA 2 LINE OUT connect to my Mass Ko Bo 385 LIBE IN

IMO

Hey Rudi, will u buy an LOD for the ZX-1 ? I think it may help to confirm if pha-2 dac section is more superior than the zx-1. I remember last time I use phone out of zx-1 and double amp wasn't so good.

Just a thought and thanks for sharing

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #9,369 of 37,727
Hey Rudi, will u buy an LOD for the ZX-1 ? I think it may help to confirm if pha-2 dac section is more superior than the zx-1. I remember last time I use phone out of zx-1 and double amp wasn't so good.

Just a thought and thanks for sharing

Hi George

The only LOD that I can use for WM ZX 1 is Hi Res LOD stock cable

As I mentioned above with Hi Res LOD stock cable , the sound quality is better than through Headphone Out from WM ZX 1

I believe if I can use better cable for Hi Res LOD , the sound quality improve more

That's approve the dac section from PHA 2 is better than WM ZX 1

IMO

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #9,370 of 37,727
Hi George

The only LOD that I can use for WM ZX 1 is Hi Res LOD stock cable

As I mentioned above with Hi Res LOD stock cable , the sound quality is better than through Headphone Out from WM ZX 1

I believe if I can use better cable for Hi Res LOD , the sound quality improve more

That's approve the dac section from PHA 2 is better than WM ZX 1

IMO

Rudi

I thought you can use this type of LOD to send analog line out to 385 amp directly.  http://www.e-earphone.jp/shopdetail/003073000067/003/073/X/page2/order/

or buy this type of adapter to use that awesome short DIY cable you let me demo before:  http://www.e-earphone.jp/shopdetail/003073000020/

Maybe Sean can confirm. I think you can achieve analog line out from ZX1 or maybe I am wrong....
beerchug.gif

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #9,372 of 37,727

Rudi

I thought you can use this type of LOD to send analog line out to 385 amp directly.  http://www.e-earphone.jp/shopdetail/003073000067/003/073/X/page2/order/

or buy this type of adapter to use that awesome short DIY cable you let me demo before:  http://www.e-earphone.jp/shopdetail/003073000020/

Maybe Sean can confirm. I think you can achieve analog line out from ZX1 or maybe I am wrong....
beerchug.gif

Sean made his own WM-port LOD :-

But I think Rudi may provide clearer clarification as to what is being tested though. I was also a little confused with the 1st pix when he has the mini-2-mini bridge between the ZX1 & PHA2 at the ZX1's headphone out which led to your question of double amping.

Assuming that the picture there isn't what being tested, then maybe Setup A should be more defined as :-
Transport: Sony WM-ZX1
Source/Amp: PHA-2

Set up B :
Transport: Sony WM-ZX1
Source: PHA-2
Amp: Mass Ko Bo 385

But if the 1st pic is really what's being tested (not knowing what the back of that looks like), then Rudi is really double amping and that could be a reason why Setup A doesn't sound so good.

P.S. Did I just refer to myself as the 3rd person again?!

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #9,374 of 37,727

It is good to be able to DIY own cable.
Regarding the ZX-1, are you happy as-is or will you change to carry a stack with portable amp?

George, you are more than welcome to try my ZX1. Anytime next week.

I adore mine with any pair of FitEars customs......

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #9,375 of 37,727

It is good to be able to DIY own cable.
Regarding the ZX-1, are you happy as-is or will you change to carry a stack with portable amp?

I use it as it is. The only time I use an external amp is when I need to (i.e. for the Alpha Dogs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back