Pink drivers (Grado), i want to belive
Nov 14, 2013 at 7:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Rauliki

100+ Head-Fier
Is this pink driver real deal?
I've read a lot posts in this forum about some vintage Grado phones having such a driver. It's mentioned mostly in Sale thread.
People usually say that 'pink driver' really means pink cloth rather that driver itself. Some othere argue that pink is from the driver color. 
Maybe both options are true?
Is there any way to make sure?

I've bought vintage Grado Sr60 phones and they have pink/violet color.

If it's only cloth turning pink it shouldn't have any meaning to the sound from the driver.

Please share your thoughts/opinions or experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 15, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #2 of 5
The pinks definitely get their name from the cloth, not the driver. The cloth itself makes no difference to the sound. It is an indicator of when the driver was made though.

Yours look like a proper pair of pinks in the pictures.

Early Grados have been noted as having a slightly different sound signature compared to later Grados. Finding a pair of pinks means finding drivers from another sound signature period in the company's history.

My experience is limited to the SR series of the Grado line, both pinks and latter-day versions. I can attest to the pinks (at least the SR225 I had, and the SR80 I currently use) having a smoother, less aggressive sound. I also hear better layering in my SR80. They are not as detailed as a modern pair of SR225i, but, its not by much.

Check for other indicators of date of manufacture on your headphones:

1. What model are they? Check out the Grado history thread for years when certain models were introduced.
2. What does the headband look like? The thin, plastic headband was introduced later, earlier SR models had a more substantial but still pleather one.
3. What do the gimbals look like? Do they have a bump at the apex or not?
4. What does the cable look like? Early SR models were released with the same cable as the higher end models and a quarter-inch jack as opposed to an eighth-inch one.

The joy (and for some frustration) of Grados is all of these variations, both cosmetic and in sound signature. To paraphrase a fellow head-fier though, don't forget to use them for their primary purpose...enjoying music :).

Nov 16, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #3 of 5
  The pinks definitely get their name from the cloth, not the driver. The cloth itself makes no difference to the sound. It is an indicator of when the driver was made though.

Yours look like a proper pair of pinks in the pictures.

Early Grados have been noted as having a slightly different sound signature compared to later Grados. Finding a pair of pinks means finding drivers from another sound signature period in the company's history.

My experience is limited to the SR series of the Grado line, both pinks and latter-day versions. I can attest to the pinks (at least the SR225 I had, and the SR80 I currently use) having a smoother, less aggressive sound. I also hear better layering in my SR80. They are not as detailed as a modern pair of SR225i, but, its not by much.

Check for other indicators of date of manufacture on your headphones:

1. What model are they? Check out the Grado history thread for years when certain models were introduced.
2. What does the headband look like? The thin, plastic headband was introduced later, earlier SR models had a more substantial but still pleather one.
3. What do the gimbals look like? Do they have a bump at the apex or not?
4. What does the cable look like? Early SR models were released with the same cable as the higher end models and a quarter-inch jack as opposed to an eighth-inch one.

The joy (and for some frustration) of Grados is all of these variations, both cosmetic and in sound signature. To paraphrase a fellow head-fier though, don't forget to use them for their primary purpose...enjoying music :).

Thanks for your answer.
I'm really enjoying my set, I was just curious if the pink driver is so different that if I bought latter model - sr225i for example I would be supprised.
Is this pink driver one and only, or some different models exist? I've read about SR100, SR325 or RS1 with pink drivers. You wrote that there are SR225 , SR80 too. And mine seems like pink driver SR60 version.

My sr60 is old model , bump is small, they were packed in old style grado box with blue foam. Jack is 1/8 inch one.

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #4 of 5
Indeed the pink drivers also show up on the models you listed above. It sounds like your SR60 are of the later variety based on the bump on the gimbals and the jack.

Based on my experience, if you bought a 225i you would see more clarity in the newer model, but at the expense of layering and smoothness. A woo died pair of 225i gave me a better modern Grado experience.

Hold onto and enjoy those SR60. Use them to do what they were made to do: enjoy the music :). Don't upgrade/side grade too hastily.

Nov 17, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #5 of 5
Thank you very much.
I'm going to keep my sr60 no matter what, maybe I will buy another grado (but first check how does more expensive phones sound with my music).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back