Pink Floyd SACD Rip Problem In iTunes
Jul 13, 2012 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

KB24

100+ Head-Fier
I have a SACD 5.1 rip of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon. I converted the FLAC files to ALAC successfully using XLD. iTunes won't allow me to add these files to my library. The files play fine in Quicktime. Why won't iTunes let me add them? Is there a way to do it? Thanks! 

Edit: The 24 bit/96000 flac files are being converted to 44000 in alac. I have the setting set to same as original in XLD. Why are these 96000 khz files being converted to 44000 khz in alac? On top of that, I can't add these files to itunes.

Jul 14, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 7
I have a mac, and therefore can't use Foobar. I can play the FLAC files in VLC, but I would rather them be organized in my library. Yes iTunes is def compatible with 24 bit. I have 24 bit music in my library. It's the sampling rate that is the problem. I don't think iTunes can go over 48khz. The limitation is not only within iTunes, but also the ALAC codec itself.  This is what I get:

FLAC 24bit/96khz 5.1 channels --> XLD --> ALAC 24bit/44khz 5.1 channels.

I'm guessing that the 6 channel encoding is also incompatible with iTunes. This is what I hate about Apple. In order to promote their own crappy lossy iTunes music, they limit everyone else from enjoying better music from elsewhere.

Jul 14, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
I have a mac, and therefore can't use Foobar. I can play the FLAC files in VLC, but I would rather them be organized in my library. Yes iTunes is def compatible with 24 bit. I have 24 bit music in my library. It's the sampling rate that is the problem. I don't think iTunes can go over 48khz. The limitation is not only within iTunes, but also the ALAC codec itself.  This is what I get:

I'm guessing that the 6 channel encoding is also incompatible with iTunes. This is what I hate about Apple. In order to promote their own crappy lossy iTunes music, they limit everyone else from enjoying better music from elsewhere.

Well...you did buy an Apple product. It's the price you pay, along with the Apple tax of course.

I know there are other Apple-heads who use other audio players with OS X. Maybe you should look into switching players.

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Quote:

Well...you did buy an Apple product. It's the price you pay, along with the Apple tax of course.

I know there are other Apple-heads who use other audio players with OS X. Maybe you should look into switching players.

OSX like windows includes tools thrown in for free. This is the beginning point. If you want different abilities, then you have to seek out the software to do what you need. The PC world is still significantly larger in this respect. Perhaps Linux as well.  Certainly the toolset that Apple provides are nice, but they are targeted only at a basic audience.  If you want to do more, then you have to learn more.  This mentality that Apple provides you with everything you need is simply not true.

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

I'm guessing that the 6 channel encoding is also incompatible with iTunes.

I believe that is the case here. Apple's iTunes does not support surround, only stereo. It does playback 24-bit high resolution audio files, however.

Destroysall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back