Pioneer HDJ-500r after 5 months full in depth review
Jun 26, 2012 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

crimsongarth

New Head-Fier
BACKROUND: I bought my pioneer hdj 500's from guitar center in march of 2012 and its june 25th now so almost 5 months.

BUILD QUALITY: These headphones have magnificent build quality for under 100 dollars. All very durable hard plastic. The foam on the headband not the earcups is low rebound memory foam with and a inside the headband metal band that keeps the headband from cracking and keeps its shapes. the headband is plastic where the headpad is but its got this nice matte rubber feeling plastic that does scuff fairly easy but wont come off or scratch the leather PIONEER on the top of the headband are raised and wont crack or come off but there painted on so they so come off over 3 months so i took a paint marker that i got at jo-ann fabrics and just repainted the letters. The letters on the side of the headphones are just plastic pieces so they wont come off unless ur trying to make them come off. Overall in your hands they feel very solid and ive dropped them plenty of times and no a scratch or dent so there very durable for atleast a year. the only part that feels not very well made is the part where the cups attach to the band that part moves around and its started squeeking so i had to spray in there with some wd-40 and it stopped right away. it doesnt feel like there gonna break but i could pull them off the headband if i was trying to or ran them over but thats what the 2 year warranty is for.

APPEARANCE: These headphones are definetlya 100 dollar fashion acessory if u want them to be. Also they arent 100% symmetrical because theres a R on the right side of the headphone where it hinges. it only hinges on the right side up to 60 degrees both ways. These headphones stick out about about 2 inches that might seem like a lot but its not really they definetly attract peoples eyes like cleavage so if u dont want eyes on you all the times then get the black and silver ones. People often mistake mine for beats even though i dont see the resemblanse so if u wear an i hate beats shirt people might think your crazy.

Sound Quality: The Highs are especially hi hat's are very seperated from the other sounds as these a dj headphones but it doesnt ruin the balance or flow of the music but there is more of a presence when your listening to hip hop or house music. The mids are very well balanced with the hi's and low's for a 100 dollar headphone. the mids aren't recessed at all and are very clear and not muffled. the bass is also seperated and very warm and is always present unless your listening to something bassless

Jun 26, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 2
I got mine in February and for the most part I agree, but the mids are definitely recessed (to my ear at least); you might not hear it from just listening to them but if you switch over to something with a more neutral sound you will hear the mids are a lot more prominent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back