Pioneer SR MHR-5
Apr 29, 2016 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

JaeYoon

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey I would like to start a thread on these Pioneer SR MHR-5. But I'm surprised there's practically no information about it. Someone posted these headphones in another thread :)
I bought them from Amazon for $251.00
This is my first day with these headphones. I've gotten some good comments from people walking at a mall saying the Pioneer Metallic Logo that radiates in the sun/light looks very cool.

Here are the specs that can be found via the website
http://pioneer-headphones.com/english_us/premiumsound/se-mhr5.html

Model SE-MHR5
Type Fully-Enclosed Dynamic
Frequency Response 7 Hz to 50 000 Hz
Impedance 45 Ω
Max. Input Power 1 000 mW
Sensitivity 102 dB
Driver Units φ40 mm
Plug φ3.5 mm 4P stereo mini-plug (gold plated)
Cable Length OFC litz wire 1.2 m (detachable)
Weight (without cord) 240 g
Accessory 2.5mm 4pole balanced cable Carrying pouch
If anyone else has this headphone let me know what you think!

Aug 12, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 5
My review of these headphones is up today on my blog gavinsgadgets. It can also be found after today in the menu, audio section.

If after reading my review anyone has any questions , please ask on here.

May 1, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #3 of 5
First impression - could be better despite beatiful Pioneer Metallic Logo))). Very critical to the sound source and needed some adjustments to open their real potential. For now providing excellent output especially in my favorite female jazz vocal - so detailed and vivid, ahhh....Paired with Pioneer XDP-100R-K. Sorry for not using specific "audiophile sommelier" terms))).

Apr 12, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #4 of 5
No one else tried it yet?

Jul 3, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #5 of 5
Picked one up. Wow, I'm loving the sound. It's your usual all-rounder headphone but with some bass boost. It has that "music playing in an anechoic chamber"-like quality that my modified headphones all sport. I took a peek inside and I see that Pioneer actually bothered to stick acoustic damping materials inside to kill off the unwanted cup reverb that most other closed-back cans suffer from without modification.

It's quite an audiophile headphone. Entry-level, but audiophile. Decent resolution. With cup reverb killed off, it lacks the strident trebles, mildly unnatural mids, and "closed" sound of most other closed-back headphones, and also sounds very "open". I love the aesthetic style and comfort, too. I bent the headband for a tighter fit and thus better isolation. Isolation is quite good, too, on that note, almost as good as my HD8 DJ, HD25-1 II, and Urbanite on-ear. A good deal at $150 and under, I think.

And then it has a 2.5mm balanced cable compatible with the FiiO Q1 MkII to boot, aside from a normal 3.5mm cable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back