Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Apr 4, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #1,216 of 2,189
I never heard the LCD-4 but heard the LCD-3 and had the LCD-XC which I both liked and found both pretty similar. Still, I preferred dynamic cans.

I had the Utopia for a weekend and compared it to the M1. I found them to have a rather comparable sound signature with the M1 being better in most areas. More bass extension and control, more highs extension without being bright (neither is the Utopia), more detail and wider and slightly deeper soundsatge and more engaging overall. Concerning the mids I find the M1 to have a full and detailed midrange with a hint of warmth but the Utopia was a little warmer which I like. Note that I find all these differences to be minimal, both are nice phones, the M1 just is a bit better IMO.
When it comes to comfort the M1 is very comfortable but the Utopia beats it there, never wore a more comfortable pair of headphones, it's like it was shaped to measure around my head. I do like something that feels a bit heavy and firm around my head though but the Utopia felt like it couldn't slide off no matter what you do without feeling heavy.

They're definitely Summit-Fi and somewhwere at the top of that class.

The utopia is a brick compared to the Sem1. I think of the sem1 as a better built hd800. The M1 is at the top of its class in the comfort department. Id rank my headphones: Sem1 > k812 > hd800 > hekv2. Anything over 400 grams is a no go for me 99.8% of the time. Since i listen usually 3 to 7 hours at a time. I removed the gimbal to improve lateral comfort, as well as easier on/off. I wanted to mod a sr009 headband on the sem1 for greater surface area. I also like the k812 breathable mesh suspension band. Ear cup wise, i didnt remove them due to glue. Didnt install mrspeakers electro stat pads.

Apr 4, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #1,217 of 2,189
The utopia is a brick compared to the Sem1. I think of the sem1 as a better built hd800. The M1 is at the top of its class in the comfort department. Id rank my headphones: Sem1 > k812 > hd800 > hekv2. Anything over 400 grams is a no go for me 99.8% of the time. Since i listen usually 3 to 7 hours at a time. I removed the gimbal to improve lateral comfort, as well as easier on/off. I wanted to mod a sr009 headband on the sem1 for greater surface area. I also like the k812 breathable mesh suspension band. Ear cup wise, i didnt remove them due to glue. Didnt install mrspeakers electro stat pads.

Are you saying you modded the SEM1?  Got pics? 

Apr 4, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #1,218 of 2,189
Apr 5, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #1,219 of 2,189
[/SIZE]I was gonna put on the mrspeakers electrostat pads, but found out the stocks are glued onto foam on the headphone on one side. There is a video on youtube of someone modding the sem1 driver with foam i believe. I cant understand it. I heard a modded hd800 again, sounds terrible compared to the M1. Doesnt help i am accustomed to the Utopia, Z1R, HekV2 sound signature now since ive owned and sold hd800s a year ago. I wouldnt touch a pair today. As i said before the Sem1 replaced the hd800/s for me. But performs better in every aspect.

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #1,220 of 2,189
I'll be attending can jam socal to test the he-1 and Mrspeakers electrostat prototype. I also will here the Shangri La and susvara, Sr009/Lr007, Lcd-4 and sonoma electrostat. Im at the point where ill fund one electrostat system and sell off headphones to buy it. Electrostat or bust!

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #1,221 of 2,189

How about some updated impressions of the SEM1 vs the HE6 :)

I'll try to A/B them tomorrow..................since I got the SEM1 it's all I listen to.  Love them..........

Apr 7, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #1,222 of 2,189
I don't analyze frequency charts, but I know from prior posts that there was some controversy with the measurements of the SE Master 1 - something about a treble spike.  My intention is not to re-hash that discussion, as I don't care much for technicalities.   I just want some input from owners as to whether there are any issues (even minor ones) with listener fatigue over long term use because of the treble extension or brightness in general.  From what I understand there is a great bass response, but curious as to whether there is a smoothness or consistency in other areas.  Also, any comparisons regarding the comfort level with the Sony Z1R and/or Focal Elear.  I recently tried the Elear and thought it was exceptionally comfortable. 

Apr 7, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #1,224 of 2,189
  I don't analyze frequency charts, but I know from prior posts that there was some controversy with the measurements of the SE Master 1 - something about a treble spike.  My intention is not to re-hash that discussion, as I don't care much for technicalities.   I just want some input from owners as to whether there are any issues (even minor ones) with listener fatigue over long term use because of the treble extension or brightness in general.  From what I understand there is a great bass response, but curious as to whether there is a smoothness or consistency in other areas.  Also, any comparisons regarding the comfort level with the Sony Z1R and/or Focal Elear.  I recently tried the Elear and thought it was exceptionally comfortable. 

My opinion:

I'm allergic to hot treble but have no problem at all with the SEM1.
I never have much listening fatigue problems with most phones so can't comment on that.
SEM1 is really comfortable, more than the Z1R. Still I found the Utopia (leather pads) more comnfortable, it was like it was shaped around my head. Soundwise the SEM1 beat it though as I described a few posts earlier.

Apr 7, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #1,225 of 2,189
I had the Elear, SEM1 is even more comfortable.

I did have some fatigue until I got the WyWires Platinum cable. The improvement overall was substantial and the fatigue is gone.

Are you coming to the meet at Paulson's this month? I would love to have the chance to listen to your headphones.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 7, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #1,227 of 2,189

My opinion:

I'm allergic to hot treble but have no problem at all with the SEM1.
I never have much listening fatigue problems with most phones so can't comment on that.
SEM1 is really comfortable, more than the Z1R. Still I found the Utopia (leather pads) more comnfortable, it was like it was shaped around my head. Soundwise the SEM1 beat it though as I described a few posts earlier.

Thanks...the Utopia must be something special.  It's just too damn expensive though.   I can get the Pioneer shipped from the UK for about $1,800, so that seems like a pretty good deal.  It doesn't retail for less than $2,500 here in the US.    Is the Pioneer picky with amps?    I have a Violectric V100 and a Feliks Elise for desk top.   DragonFly Red for portable.

Apr 7, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #1,228 of 2,189

Thanks...the Utopia must be something special.  It's just too damn expensive though.   I can get the Pioneer shipped from the UK for about $1,800, so that seems like a pretty good deal.  It doesn't retail for less than $2,500 here in the US.    Is the Pioneer picky with amps?    I have a Violectric V100 and a Feliks Elise for desk top.   DragonFly Red for portable.

Easy to drive and scales well with quality amps. Sounded fine with an unexpensive Marantz dac/amp, an expensive Marantz dac with a simple phones out, Black Widow, Zana and now the V281 for me.

When I bought the SEM1 (at launch) it costed 2500€ here in Europe. I bought it from my local dealer who happens to carry the Pioneer brand among a few others but usually doesn't do headphones and got a 10% discount. Expensive, more expensive than any pair of phones should cost imo, but compared to other high-end offerings at various prices I have heard it has proven worth it to me.

Apr 7, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #1,229 of 2,189

I have no fatigue with the Master 1, from treble or comfort.  It does do treble very well - to the point that the Sony MDR-Z1R sounded extremely dark in comparison.  And yes, the bass response is maybe the best I've experienced.  

Apr 7, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #1,230 of 2,189
Good to know...right now the Beyerdynamic DT-1990 is my favorite open headphone. Pioneer seems to provide the best of both worlds - the clarity and air of an open headphone with the dynamics and bass of a closed one. It's just a bit of a risk getting it from the UK despite the $700 savings because it would be harder to return. Amazon is the safer route with its return policy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back