Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
May 7, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #1,426 of 2,189
Yes, I know it's not a private forum. I didn't say anything besides summarize the criticisms accurately. It doesn't matter to me who reads it.

You seem to have lot of expensive headphone gear and have an engineering background, so I am in no position to dispute your technical arguments or draw comparisons with other headphones in the $2,500 plus range. You can show me a hundred graphs and I would have no clue what any of it means or how it translates into real listening experience. Like I said, I will carry on in my ignorance and perhaps be lucky enough one day to try the giants like the Utopia and Stax 009.

As I mentioned..." But if you like them...then fantastic...in the end that's all that matters for your ears. :)".

May 7, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #1,427 of 2,189
As I mentioned..." But if you like them...then fantastic...in the end that's all that matters for your ears. :)".
Yes, I know it's not a private forum. I didn't say anything besides summarize the criticisms accurately. It doesn't matter to me who reads it.

You seem to have lot of expensive headphone gear and have an engineering background, so I am in no position to dispute your technical arguments or draw comparisons with other headphones in the $2,500 plus range. You can show me a hundred graphs and I would have no clue what any of it means or how it translates into real listening experience. Like I said, I will carry on in my ignorance and perhaps be lucky enough one day to try the giants like the Utopia and Stax 009.

I'm not audiophile either and maybe I speak from my ignorance but don't you think that Pioneer ( a company with decades of experience designing and producing audio products) knew exactly what was releasing? I mean a 2500$ headphone is obviously for the audiophile market. They know how it measure in spite of this the released it.
For me doesn't matter what the rest of the world could say. I very much prefer the SE 1 to several untouchables. Before buying the SE1 I tried the HD800, Utopia, Audeeze and many more and for my destroyed ears this one was the best and by far.

May 8, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #1,428 of 2,189
I continue to be impressed with these..............had a 6 day hiatus from all my headphones due to a kitchen remodel going on and finally got to listen again this weekend. Wow............they are simply the best I've had and heard, besting even my modded HE-6 which I never thought I'd sell which I did.

Regarding distortion, square waves, etc...............I know some like all the technical graphs and even make decision about what headphone to buy or even try based on this but I not only don't even look at any graphs, I have no interest in understanding what they all mean. I respect each and every opinion about the graphs and real world experiences but for me, putting a headphone on and listening to my own inner fidelity impressions is all that matters. :L3000:

We all hear differently and have preferences that drive our decisions. For my ears these are end game.

May 8, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #1,429 of 2,189
I'm not audiophile either and maybe I speak from my ignorance but don't you think that Pioneer ( a company with decades of experience designing and producing audio products) knew exactly what was releasing? I mean a 2500$ headphone is obviously for the audiophile market. They know how it measure in spite of this the released it.
For me doesn't matter what the rest of the world could say. I very much prefer the SE 1 to several untouchables. Before buying the SE1 I tried the HD800, Utopia, Audeeze and many more and for my destroyed ears this one was the best and by far.

I've been a fan of Pioneer since the '80s. Owned much of their gear through the years (and decades)...but based on my experiences, these headphones are just "weird" and not in a good way. I think Pioneer really dropped the ball here. Grado's also measure quite poorly and some of them I'm not a fan of, but I am of others (like the RS1, PS1000, GH-1/2) and while they measure poorly, they can sound quite nice (though I currently don't own any :wink:).

I'm glad you like them...as I said, in the end, that's what counts. In terms of your comments of the HD800, etc...if they destroyed them, that that would be to your personal preferences (and that's totally cool), but technically, it's not even close from what I can see (or hear).

Last edited:
May 9, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #1,430 of 2,189
I've been a fan of Pioneer since the '80s. Owned much of their gear through the years (and decades)...but based on my experiences, these headphones are just "weird" and not in a good way. I think Pioneer really dropped the ball here. Grado's also measure quite poorly and some of them I'm not a fan of, but I am of others (like the RS1, PS1000, GH-1/2) and while they measure poorly, they can sound quite nice (though I currently don't own any :wink:).

I'm glad you like them...as I said, in the end, that's what counts. In terms of your comments of the HD800, etc...if they destroyed them, that that would be to your personal preferences (and that's totally cool), but technically, it's not even close from what I can see (or hear).
I agree with you Peter. The bass for an open design was impressive but I really disliked the upper midrange to me it sounded unnatural it really reminded me the bad experience with the Edition 10 that I really tried hard to like.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
May 9, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #1,431 of 2,189
So anyone know where to get the "notched" MMCX connectors for these? I did contact Double Helix and they have the standard eidolic premier ones that their owner Peter said should work but they are not exactly like the stock connectors used by Pioneer.

PS - I emailed Kimber cables a week ago and no reply yet asking them the same question............

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #1,432 of 2,189
The only company I could find using them was Kimber.

Having tried a couple of standard MMCX connectors I don't think it's an issue though. The notch just stops them twisting, but in normal use I can't see a standard connector twisting anyway.

The MMCX connector Plussound use has a screw which fits in the slot on the SEM1s. The connector itself just fits though, it's pretty tight.

May 10, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #1,433 of 2,189
Edited to attach image link

I just bought these amazing headphones a few days ago from a local seller. I had a spare set of MMCX cable from my Westone W60 so I thought I'd 3D print some sleeves for them to fit on the SEM-1. I was going to push the connectors through the back but the rubber housing was a little soft and hard to push through so I cut a slot in the sleeves to pull them in from the front. It's a nice snug fit right now and can be used as is and is reversible but can be made permanent by potting it in place. I'm at the office now but will try this out tonight at home.

https://goo.gl/photos/HSHWapdTc1VQKC8b9

Attachments

• SEM1 tip.jpg
    SEM1 tip.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0
  • sem1b.jpg
    sem1b.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #1,436 of 2,189
You guys know this isn't a private forum right? :p You'll also notice that I wasn't the only one not impressed with these headphones too?

Here are the measurements I was referring to, it is the one with %THD (total harmonic distortion) in the title:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PioneerSEMaster1.pdf

10% distortion is way, too high in my books for a headphone costing this much money. While we're at it, please loo at both of the square wave plots. Both are also quite poor, as is the impulse response that shows quite a bit of ringing. I strongly suggest someone tries headphones like the LCD-4 or even the Abyss to hear what tight deep and controlled bass can be. I suggest you look at other headphones (especially those costing less) with substantially lower distortion numbers and then give them a try in person. You might be surprised (or not? :p ).

The extensively high distortion on the lower octaves really are quite poor for even a $300 - $500 headphone. But if you like them...then fantastic...in the end that's all that matters for your ears. :) I've said, Grado headphones NEVER have measured well in the past, but for some reason, I tend to enjoy them.

I just took the LCD-4s for a spin all afternoon in a private listening room at a local hifi shop I frequent. I really didn't feel them and was quite disappointed given the hype and that I'm a previous LCD owner. They had a constrained soundstage, lacked bass texture and detail, and in the end only seemed to have decent vocals. Even that wasn't impressive, it just seemed to be the best thing they could do. I tried them with 2 different amps and DACs, then A/B/C'd them with HiFiMAN HEXv1s and HEKv1s. Once getting the HEKv1s on I felt I'd thankfully returned to "high end". The LCD-4s really underwhelmed me and I comfortably place the SEM1s above them in all categories except maybe vocals?

This isn't a direct quip at you, to each their own, but I just found it a funny reference to "if you want to hear real quality, check out XYZ headphone". As far as detailed, fast, and textured bass goes, I'm still a major fan of the original HiFiMAN HE-6 4-screw. The Pioneers are nice to me overall, but they don't have HE-6 level bass, but nor do the HE-6s have Pioneer lever soundstage or organic instrument imaging~

I was also unclear from your posts as to whether you tried the SEM1s in a real listening environment or tested them out against any other headphones in a shootout that wasn't at a show? I'm not a naysayer of graphs, but most the people I find shooting down the SEM1s reference the Innerfidelity graphs (which I'm not disputing the accuracy of) and haven't gotten legitimate head-time outside of a show floor.

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #1,437 of 2,189
I just took the LCD-4s for a spin all afternoon in a private listening room at a local hifi shop I frequent. I really didn't feel them and was quite disappointed given the hype and that I'm a previous LCD owner. They had a constrained soundstage, lacked bass texture and detail, and in the end only seemed to have decent vocals. Even that wasn't impressive, it just seemed to be the best thing they could do. I tried them with 2 different amps and DACs, then A/B/C'd them with HiFiMAN HEXv1s and HEKv1s. Once getting the HEKv1s on I felt I'd thankfully returned to "high end". The LCD-4s really underwhelmed me and I comfortably place the SEM1s above them in all categories except maybe vocals?

This isn't a direct quip at you, to each their own, but I just found it a funny reference to "if you want to hear real quality, check out XYZ headphone". As far as detailed, fast, and textured bass goes, I'm still a major fan of the original HiFiMAN HE-6 4-screw. The Pioneers are nice to me overall, but they don't have HE-6 level bass, but nor do the HE-6s have Pioneer lever soundstage or organic instrument imaging~

I was also unclear from your posts as to whether you tried the SEM1s in a real listening environment or tested them out against any other headphones in a shootout that wasn't at a show? I'm not a naysayer of graphs, but most the people I find shooting down the SEM1s reference the Innerfidelity graphs (which I'm not disputing the accuracy of) and haven't gotten legitimate head-time outside of a show floor.

May 15, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #1,438 of 2,189
Its an absolute shame that so called audiophiles refer to graphs to justify purchase of a headphone.
Headphone preferences are purely subjective at best and references to charts and graphs in my experience is unorganic and counterproductive per the foregoing.
To each its own i hasten to add however.
Enjoy...the pioneer sem 1 is a wonderful reference headphone by any standard.

May 15, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #1,439 of 2,189
Its an absolute shame that so called audiophiles refer to graphs to justify purchase of a headphone.
Headphone preferences are purely subjective at best and references to charts and graphs in my experience is unorganic and counterproductive per the foregoing.
To each its own i hasten to add however.
Enjoy...the pioneer sem 1 is a wonderful reference headphone by any standard.
Totally agree. This headphone sounds very detailed and organic. Is the best that I have heard. F.... the graphs!

May 15, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #1,440 of 2,189
Totally agree. This headphone sounds very detailed and organic. Is the best that I have heard. F.... the graphs!
I grew up in london in the 70s.
When the English do things, they're near perfect at it.
Pioneer SEM1 was tuned in london by a highly reputable organization.
When i hear people refer to charts, graphs et el, I get absolutely flabbergasted.
Headphone sound signature are subjective in the main, there's no perfect headphone out there , NONE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back