Pixies - CDs vs SACDs?
Jan 31, 2011 at 12:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BlackbeardBen

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to build up a Pixies collection (read: buy all their albums), and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the various CD releases and/or the new hybrid SACD remastered version.  Normally I'd spring for an SACD hybrid, but the Pixies albums are absurdly expensive that way, even used.

Are the various regular CD releases of decent quality; is there significant variation between the issuings, are the SACD versions that much better (especially on the CD layer), and so on...?

Basically, I'm trying to see if it's worth it to get the SACDs to begin with (as a Pixies fan but not a die-hard one), particularly for the (remastered) CD layer - and if there's particular issuings of the regular CDs to avoid.

Feb 1, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 5
I can't comment on SACDs or different masterings, but it would be a criminal shame for a Pixie thread to have no responses, so I'll say that the standard redbook versions of Surfer Rosa, Doolittle and Bossanova are perfectly adequate for the job. Not audiophile, but any version of Pixies is better than none at all. 

Feb 1, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 5
Well, that's good to hear that they're not like Oasis-quality or anything.  I think the thing to do may be to get them all on CD first, and go for the SACDs later.

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #4 of 5
I have the "Surfer Rosa" and "Doolittle" SACDs. Both are MFSL and excellent. I haven't listened to the Red Book versions, but I'd recommend picking up the SACDs before they go out of production. Check the prices of some OOP SACDs. The value of my collection seems to keep increasing.

Jul 5, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #5 of 5
Check out the Wyred4sound they offer mods on SACD digital out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back