Planar Magnetic to Complement Focal Clear MG, Verite Open, and HD660s
Feb 20, 2022 at 8:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

TheFrator

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm looking to round out my collection of dynamic driver headphones with a planar magnetic. I currently own the Clear MG, Verite Open, and HD660s - all of which are mid-forward. I tried out the Auduze LCD-X but found it too heavy and uncomfortable for more than 45 mins of listening.

I primarily listen to R&B, hard rock, metal, and electronic (specifically synthwave).

Budget: < $2000

Chain: RME ADI-2 to Burson Soloist 3XP at my listening spot. Just the RME while at my computer desk.
Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #2 of 14
What's your budget? What do you listen to primarily? And what's your chain?

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #4 of 14
This is all stuff I listen to, including and primarily synthwave. Different DAC but I also have the Soloist 3XP, and you'll see the Arya Stealth in my signature, along with the 6XX and Verite Open. Twins!

If you found the LCD-X too heavy, I'll leave out the LCD-4, which you could get for $2000 used. I think you'll find Hifiman's headphones very comfortable--I can speak to the Arya Stealth but have not heard the HE1000 v2, which you should also be able to find used in your price range.

Feb 20, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #5 of 14
Oh awesome! We really are twins. I also have DT1990s but I'm going to sell them soon.

Synthwave is the best. Who's your favorite artist?

Ok I'll keep my eyes peeled for those two models. Have you only driven the Arya Stealth from the Soloist? If not, how does it sound on other amps? I ask because the Verite benefits a lot when ran on Soloist vs the ADI-2 amp.

I really wish I found the LCD-X comfortable but alas. I hope Audeze carries the weight reduction of the LCD-5 down to their other models.

Feb 20, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #6 of 14
Oh forgot to ask: how does the Arya Stealth compare to the LCD-X in terms of detail retrieval? And if there's anything else worth noting please add your impression.

Feb 20, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #7 of 14
I've been listening to Droid Bishop, Neon Nox, Turbo Knight, FM Attack, Gunship, huge list!

The Arya excels with synth, edm, pop, rock, and metal. Its soundstage is noticeably wider than the LCD-X, but the low end isn't really a match for what the Audeze can do. It's punchy, but I find it lacking for a lot of bass heavy hip hop. Some of that can be tweaked with EQ if you're on the desktop. Interesting thing about the Arya, at least for me, is compared with other open backs, this one "feels" more open--meaning when I put them on, I can almost perfectly hear through them to the outside world, like they're not even there... until the synth kicks in. I really love them and am always torn if there's a better Hifiman for me like the HEKV2 or HEKSE.

It's driven to deafening levels off the Soloist--the only other amp I've run it on is the THX 789, which was also plenty for it. But the Soloist opened up the stage and added a bit of warmth to the midrange. I've also owned the HE6SE v2. As a $550 option new, it's fine, but even with the grill mod, I don't think it compares with the Arya Stealth.

And I also have the DT1990... double twinos!

Feb 20, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #8 of 14
I've been listening to Droid Bishop, Neon Nox, Turbo Knight, FM Attack, Gunship, huge list!

Gunship and FM Attack are awesome. I'll checkout Droid Bishop, Neon Nox, and Turbo Knight! I recommend listening to FM-84 too.
The Arya excels with synth, edm, pop, rock, and metal. Its soundstage is noticeably wider than the LCD-X, but the low end isn't really a match for what the Audeze can do. It's punchy, but I find it lacking for a lot of bass heavy hip hop. Some of that can be tweaked with EQ if you're on the desktop. Interesting thing about the Arya, at least for me, is compared with other open backs, this one "feels" more open--meaning when I put them on, I can almost perfectly hear through them to the outside world, like they're not even there... until the synth kicks in. I really love them and am always torn if there's a better Hifiman for me like the HEKV2 or HEKSE.
The low-end really isn't an issue with me. I'm not a bass head by any means. And when I had the LCD-X I found I preferred the bass from the Clear MG. Something about bass from dynamic drivers appealed to me more. This assessment was after EQing both on my ADI-2.

So it sounds like the Arya stealth is the best option for me.

Feb 20, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #9 of 14
I listen to FM-84, too! Rogue VHS is also pretty good.

If you're not tied to the low end of the LCDs, I would say you should give the Arya a shot! Some folks complain it can be very very slightly sibilant, but I've not heard it and it also EQs fairly easily to pull back any shoutyness. Excellent without EQ, fantastic with it, imho.

Feb 21, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #10 of 14
I listen to FM-84, too! Rogue VHS is also pretty good.

If you're not tied to the low end of the LCDs, I would say you should give the Arya a shot! Some folks complain it can be very very slightly sibilant, but I've not heard it and it also EQs fairly easily to pull back any shoutyness. Excellent without EQ, fantastic with it, imho.
Fantastic. Ordered myself a pair of Arya Stealth. I'll let you know my impressions after a few days with them.

Feb 21, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #11 of 14
Fantastic. Ordered myself a pair of Arya Stealth. I'll let you know my impressions after a few days with them.
Nice, congrats! You're going to love them--if you ordered from Hifiman, there is a coupon around I think for $50 off? Not sure if it's no longer available.

Feb 21, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #12 of 14
I ordered from Bloom audio and they gave me $200 off a new one. Never hurts to play hard to get

Feb 21, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #13 of 14
Great deal on new ones! You totally nailed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back