Please end my search for Basshead IEM's...
May 31, 2012 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

DeepwaterKoi

New Head-Fier
Bestbuy is about to ban me from their store if I keep returning IEMs
biggrin.gif
I started out at $20 for some cheap Sony's (bumpin beats), then tried the Skull Candy (smokin buds), Phillips Sport over the ear, then Klipsh S4 (they were nice, but heart my ears due to fitment and I would like more bass), Bose IE2 (very nice sound but they are not noise isolating and the bass doesn't really hit unless you push them into your ear).  I am currently listening to the Soul by Ludacris SL99 (very nice sound but I do not like the heavy cord and I still want MORE BASS
L3000.gif
)

I have been searching a little for basshead IEMs and there are quite a few out there.  I do not, obviously, have much experience with these types of headphones so I don't know how to interpret peoples reviews.  I will outline what I want and hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction...

I am a fabricator so I am always using power tools so noise isolating is necessary.
The warehouse is VERY hot so I sweat a lot.  The IEMs need to handle that or at least be easily exchanged if they go bad.
I listen to dubstep, breaks, D&B, rock, hip-hop, indie, alt rock, folk rock, even classical at times so I don't really have a true style.
My ears seem to handle bass just fine but really loud highs really hurt my ears, so I want HARD DEEP BASS, good mids, and mild highs.
I want to be able to crank the volume up without having the highs pierce to my brain
wink.gif

I do not want to spend over $120 with shipping so hopefully that helps.

One of the reasons why I have been dealing with Bestbuy is they are right around the corner, and they have a free replacement plan for two years if anything happens to the IEMs during that time.  I am rough with my toys so I need something like that.

Thanks so much for this great website (I already cashed in on one of the deals in that 330 page thread) and thanks for your help!
Zac

May 31, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 76
Ultimate Ears 500...  ThinkSound TS02  Others that I haven't heard yet: Brainwavz M2, ThinkSound TS01, All I can think of right now :p  If the 500s aren't enough, I don't know what else to say :p 

May 31, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 76
Lower Budget:

JVC FX101
XEPORT 5010
Brainwavz M2
Fisher Audio Consonance

Higher Budget:

Audio-Technica CKS77
Atrio MG7
Monster Turbine

Just a few off the top of my head.

May 31, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 76
The Audio-Technica ATH-CKS77 sound right. I'd recommend the cheaper JVC HA-FX101 first, but its highs might be a tad harsh for you if your ears are sensitive to that. They are cheap enough and easy enough to buy/return to take a chance though.

May 31, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #5 of 76
I am a very bass orientated person along side you. And I did a fair bit of snooping around for a good bass IEM that could extend low and also be isolating. I went with DUNU DN-16 Hephaes witch I think is around your price range. I never thought you could get bass like this with these IEM's. Very pleased with my purchase from mp4nation.com 
They have great build quality (titanium), and all sorts of accessories to accommodate your ear canals! haha

Take a look at a couple reviews, might be what your looking for.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/575976/dunu-hephaes-dn-16-review

http://www.head-fi.org/t/566914/double-review-dunu-ares-dn-11-dunu-hephaes-dn-16

http://www.head-fi.org/t/558337/dunu-dn-16-vs-ie7-how-dn-16-developed-part-1

May 31, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #8 of 76
Quote:
aurisonics asg-1.. i've tried them all but there is nothing like the asg1 with the 15mm dynamic driver.. the sound quality is just mind blowing

Probably exactly what you're looking for. You can get them for $250 new or you might be able to find a used pair cheaper on here.

If that's too far outside you budget and you don't feel like saving then look at the Audio-Technica CKS77 and Future Sonics Atrio MG7 (there's a discount code floating around that drops their price down to $100)

May 31, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #9 of 76
Quote:
aurisonics asg-1.. i've tried them all but there is nothing like the asg1 with the 15mm dynamic driver.. the sound quality is just mind blowing

I don't think this is what he's looking for.  Despite having extremely deep, and quality bass, they aren't high in quantity, which is what the OP wants (from what I read). 

May 31, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #10 of 76
Bestbuy doesn't have much basshead material, one must venture to the world of other brands such as Hippo VB with interchangeable bass plates. basically with the one dot plates it sounds like your head is stapled to a car sub woofer while you lay in the trunk. (BIG BASS) deep deep sub bass that pushes decent amounts of air and can bruise your ear drum if not careful! but they need 100 hours break in period for the treble to settle. Or, I'm sure the Atrio M5 with MG7 driver has been brought up. (if not it will be) I have owned both preferring Hippo VB. I went through the basshead journey a few months ago and tried many....many earphones. Cut some corners stop getting stuff that's barely meeting your requirements and go for Hippo VB or Atrio M5.

May 31, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #11 of 76
I complete forgot about Future Sonics...  Yes, they are a bass-head's dream :p  Something you should look into as well. 

May 31, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #12 of 76
Quote:

I don't think this is what he's looking for.  Despite having extremely deep, and quality bass, they aren't high in quantity, which is what the OP wants (from what I read). 

The 1.2 revision is supposed to have increased bass quantity, especially sub-bass. You will hear the difference soon enough though, let me know what you think when you get them back from Aurisonics :p

A few have said the bass response on the 1.2s is on par or greater than the Atrios when the music calls for it (eg hip-hop, dubstep).

May 31, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #13 of 76
Quote:
The 1.2 revision is supposed to have increased bass quantity, especially sub-bass. You will hear the difference soon enough though, let me know what you think when you get them back from Aurisonics :p

A few have said the bass response on the 1.2s is on par or greater than the Atrios when the music calls for it (eg hip-hop, dubstep).

OK, now I'm really looking forward to this.  I am going to be making a stop at the post office tomorrow to send some things out (including the ASGs). 

May 31, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #14 of 76
hisound audio popo or paa-1 pro

http://headfonics.com/2011/11/hisound-audio-popo-odd-name-stellar-sound/

http://headfonics.com/2011/12/hisoundaudio-paa-1-pro-warm-enough-for-thorough-satisfaction/

May 31, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #15 of 76
not sure about the asg-1 1.1 or 1.0 but i got the 1.2 and the bass blows the m5 mg7 away.. ie80? not even close.. i have tried everything.. these are by far the best.. mids and highs are comparable to my um3x.. but the bass is like What.. am i listening to ear buds? it's like booooooom!!! deep sub bass that i normally only hear on my krk studio monitors with krk sub i can hear and feel in the asg1.. never with any other ear buds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back