Please Help a Noob
Dec 21, 2011 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Zach23

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I have lurked the forums for about 6 months now and really wanted to get nicer headphones than the crappy Sony ear buds that i have. The type of music that i listen to is blink 182 and Less Than Jake and bands similar to them.

What headphones should i get? I really only want to spend around $100 but give or take a few dollars depending on if something is much better

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #4 of 6
Sorry, MalVeauX I wasn't really sure on what i should do. I'm thinking about getting a pair of Grado Sr60i or Sr80i because it seemed like it was recommended for anyone who only really listens to rock but i'm not sure about the differences. i do already have CDs ripped into FLAC, use Foobar 2000, and source, but i need an amp. For the amp i was thinking Fiio E5.

Also, can someone tell me the differences between Sr60i and Sr80i?

Dec 23, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
Sorry, MalVeauX I wasn't really sure on what i should do. I'm thinking about getting a pair of Grado Sr60i or Sr80i because it seemed like it was recommended for anyone who only really listens to rock but i'm not sure about the differences. i do already have CDs ripped into FLAC, use Foobar 2000, and source, but i need an amp. For the amp i was thinking Fiio E5.
Also, can someone tell me the differences between Sr60i and Sr80i?

Heya,

I myself wondered, so I got the SR60i and the SR325i to get the top and bottom of the prestige line of Grado. To me, I found minimal differences. Certainly not worth the cost in my book. That is testament to the value of how good the SR60i really is. I don't really think the upper models are that much better in the prestige line. Minimal gains. Very minimal. Miniscule. For hundreds, I don't recommend going over the SR60i unless you just simply are willing to spend the money on a new look. I would suggest the SR60i with L-cush pads for anyone wanting a Grado without having to go all out on it (and get very little for having done so). That said, if you want to go all out, I would still get the SR60i and simply have the housing done in wood by someone and get a cable upgrade. Then you have an excellent Grado that is "all out." In otherwords, again, simply get the SR60i with Lcush pads and if you feel upgraditis, upgrade their housing/cable. Done.

Very best,

Dec 23, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #6 of 6
Agreed, the other SR models aren't really worth it.  Please do change the stock pads out for the larger ones; the stock pads are damn awful.  I don't think you should waste your money on an E5 amp.  You should save up for something better.  Actually, more importantly, what DAC do you currently have?  DAC > amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back