Please help me find an iem in the $250 max range.
Dec 28, 2016 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Dutch1Schaefer

Head-Fier
Hello folks, I'm fairly new to the headphone/iem world. As of right now I own a pair of yurbuds itx-2000 in ears and paid $60 for them. The sound is ok and seems to be marketed as a "workout" style system. And I also owned a pair of sennheiser hd 598 $250 headphones which I preferred over the yurbuds but they lacked in bass response to me. They were very detailed and clear sounding. Unfortunately they were lost in a move. :frowning2:

So those are the only two iems/headphones I have ever had experience with. A little about myself I mainly listen to post hardcore music, metal, punk, indie rock, emo, and folk rock.
Some of my favorite bands include: thrice, pelican, Russian circles, hot water music, braid, American football, minus the bear, if these trees could talk. I also play bass guitar and enjoy the bass in most music, but don't want it to be overpowering. I like clarity and seperation in the instruments and frequencies.

After doing quite a bit of research from awesome sites like this and others, I've become interested in what's called "hybrids" some say they are the best of both worlds. Ba + dynamic drivers. I was about to pull the plug on something like the dunu dn-1000 because of reviews I've read they seem to still have impactful bass, but not muddy or overpowering.

I'd sure like to get any opinions from others here on options of iems in the $250 max range that would suite me well for the genres of music I listen to. The reason I want to stick with iem is my new job allows listening to music and I'd prefer the iem over a set of full sized over the ear headphones. Thanks everyone for your time.

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 28
Nothing huh? Was thinking at least a few head-fiers could point me in the right direction with some good sounding iems in the $200-$250 price range for post hardcore, post rock, progressive metal genres. I live in Las Vegas and we have one "hi end" audio shop but cannot demo iems, so it's very hard to get any kind of idea what certain iems sound like.

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 28
Dec 28, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #4 of 28
Does stillheart follow the genres I listen to? Or does he/she live in Vegas? If so I'd like to hook up with him/her to try out a few iems. Thanks warrenpchi!

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #5 of 28
New member, long timer lurker on the forums. 

I don't listen to the genre that you are looking into finding a set of IEM's for but I would start with jokers list.

Here is the link:

http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list/

In the IEM category I have owned the GR07, IE80 and RHA750's

All are great and have different sound signatures that I can appreciate.

Next headphone I am looking into are either the LZ A4 or the FLC 8S.

Both are hybrids I believe and have adjustable filters which is something I have been looking to try out.

I am a little cautious when it comes to chinese brands however due to the difficulty in communicating in case of any repair issues or warranty issues.

My gr07's were fantastic but when they crapped out after a year, I got no response from them when I emailed them to service them. They were a little pricier back in the day around 180$ and definitely put me on guard.

Will consider the FLC 8S but I'm still iffy on it.

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #6 of 28
Does stillheart follow the genres I listen to?

IIRC, I think he's familiar with those genres.  

Or does he/she live in Vegas?

He does.  
smile.gif

If so I'd like to hook up with him/her to try out a few iems.

You read my mind.  
wink.gif

Thanks warrenpchi!

Welcome!  
redface.gif

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #7 of 28
Hey there!

So genre-wise, that's pretty much the opposite of what I like.  I'm a prog kinda guy, the anti-punk.  Still, I'm happy to help as able.  I have a few universal IEM's in that price range that you may like, namely the Echobox Finder X1 and RHA T20.  I also have a Empire Ears Spartan 4 universal, but that's probably outside your price range.

Where do you live in Vegas?  I'm in the Green Valley area of Henderson.  Perhaps we could meet up at a Sbux sometime; I'm happy to let you demo what I've got.

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #8 of 28
  Hey there!

So genre-wise, that's pretty much the opposite of what I like.  I'm a prog kinda guy, the anti-punk.

Yes, but you still know what they sound like, and what IEMs would work with them.  My logic is sound.  
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #9 of 28

Yes, but you still know what they sound like, and what IEMs would work with them.  My logic is sound.  
biggrin.gif

Fortunately, the IEM's I do have are decently universal in sound signature.  With the filters, they can be tuned to taste.

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #10 of 28
If you guys schedule a little meet-up for when I'm in town, we'll have even more to listen to!

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #11 of 28
Fortunately, the IEM's I do have are decently universal in sound signature.  With the filters, they can be tuned to taste.

Awesome thanks a bunch. Sounds good we need to get together for sure.

Dec 29, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #12 of 28
If you guys schedule a little meet-up for when I'm in town, we'll have even more to listen to!

When will you be in town warrenpchi? That sounds like a good time.

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #13 of 28

I don't listen to the genre that you are looking into finding a set of IEM's for but I would start with jokers list.

Here is the link:

Both are hybrids I believe and have adjustable filters which is something I have been looking to try out.

I am a little cautious when it comes to chinese brands however due to the difficulty in communicating in case of any repair issues or warranty issues.

My gr07's were fantastic but when they crapped out after a year, I got no response from them when I emailed them to service them. They were a little pricier back in the day around 180$ and definitely put me on guard.

Thanks cellarbro, I'll look into those models you mentioned and thanks for the link to jokers list.

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #14 of 28

Here is the link:

Thanks cellarbro, I'll look into those offerings, and appreciate the list by joker.

Dec 29, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #15 of 28

We met up today and had a grand ol time.  He prefers the warmer signature of the RHA T20 to the bright X1 and neutral Spartan-IV.  If anyone has any suggestions for something on the warmer side with maybe a bit less congestion, $300 tops, I'd be curious to hear em.  I'm thinking there might be a Campfire Audio one that fits the bill?

@moedawg140 can you help? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back