PLEASE help me pick a DAC
Sep 13, 2016 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MLGrado

500+ Head-Fier
If you could, help me with my 'analysis paralysis'.  

TOO MANY good DACs out there these days, but I have to choose one, and have a maximum of $1500 to spend.  (Which means I am also opened to what I can get used at this price and under)

I had an initial list of over 15 DACs, that I have cut down to these few.  I am very intested in an NOS R2R Dac, and love their sound, but I also have a couple terrabytes of DSD files and SACD iso's.  One would think that would mean no R2R dac for me, but I am NOT opposed to conversion to PCM.  I actually believe that converting DSD directly to high resolution PCM and conversion with no more DSP via a NOS R2R Dac is still an excellent way to listen to DSD.  BUT.... part of me is still nagging I need a Native DSD capable DAC since half my collection is in DSD.  

SO, here is what I am down to for choices in my price range (remember, I am also looking at used examples)

MYTEK Brooklyn  (or save some $$$ and just go with the older stereo 192 version)

LH GEEK PULSE INFINTY 2.0 (sans PSU, but would buy a LPS later)

NUPRIME DAC-10 (not the headphone amp version.. don't need that feature)

Schiit Gungnir Multibit

WYRED4SOUND DAC-1 LE Femto Clock

GUSTARD X20 ( with Tweak Audio Level 2 mods)

METRUM MUSETTE

AUDIO GD DAC-19

I THINK I am leaning to the LH GEEK PULSE INFINITY.  If I stretch my budget to max, though, I can get the Mytek Brooklyn. 

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts.  I am currently using an iFi iDSD Micro as a desktop DAC.  Not using the head amp.  I LOVE it, but am looking to replace it with a true desktop DAC.  (Then there is part of me that says hold out til December when the iDSD PRO is supposed to be out.  But I have been waiting on the iFi Pro version for two years, so I'm not counting on the current timeline holding up!!)

Oct 25, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 7
I really like the dac-10 I've had mine for over a year now and couldn't be happier the sound is just awesome..

Oct 26, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #4 of 7

TOO MANY good DACs out there these days......

I just went through the same thing as you. I feel your pain. I owned a Vi Dac and before that the Pulse. It's a very good dac but LH labs is having issues with product support so I'd be at least a little worried about that.

I've listened to the Mytek Brooklyn, also with the saber dac chip as the LH has, both sound pretty similar. Mytek has more in/output options and the neat screen with lots of information.

I've heard the Schiit Gungnir Multibit, also a great option and affordable for the performance. Doesn't do DSD, is huge physically.

I've heard a few WYRED4SOUND DACs though I'm not sure which models. Also very nice, I would probably take this over the schiit, sounded smoother to me.

The gustard stuff is nice, I was particularly interested in the new A20H because it uses the AKM chips which I tend to prefer over ESS saber chips.

Also took some interest in the Metrum musette. What I really want is the Menuet but it's $$$$

Audio GD DAC 19 is a fantastic dac, I'm not a fan of the way they look but they are well built and sound great. Very neutral they don't really add any color to your chain.

Oct 31, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 7
Odac? It is transparent and will reproduce your recordings without audible distortion/coloration. But then you'll have to convert your DSDs to 96/24

Thanks.  

I sincerely believe there are better options than the ODAC.  

The way it was marketed as being the equal of anything more expensive because it measures to a certain standard was clever. 

Or course, those standards or claims were the creation of the maker.  Any DAC maker whose product measures inferior in some manner (say, jitter) could easily come back with a similar response, that the superior product really isn't superior because the increase in performance isn't audible.  

And, as you have pointed out, the fact it can't natively play DSD is a killer anyway.  

Oct 31, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #6 of 7

I've heard a few WYRED4SOUND DACs though I'm not sure which models. Also very nice, I would probably take this over the schiit, sounded smoother to me.

yes!  I ended up going with a W4S DAC-1LE with Femto clock.  

It turned out to be an excellent choice.  Was a noteworthy upgrade from the iFi iDSD Micro.  The sound is almost 'analog' in nature.  Very smooth, very little of the so called 'digit-itis'.  

I wish they were talked about more often.   Based on what I hear, they deserve more press!  

Oct 31, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #7 of 7

yes!  I ended up going with a W4S DAC-1LE with Femto clock.  

It turned out to be an excellent choice.  Was a noteworthy upgrade from the iFi iDSD Micro.  The sound is almost 'analog' in nature.  Very smooth, very little of the so called 'digit-itis'.  

I wish they were talked about more often.   Based on what I hear, they deserve more press!  

Nice choice. Enjoy your music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back