Pleased w/ budget setup
Sep 29, 2007 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jh4db536

500+ Head-Fier
256kbps MP3 or FLAC w/ foobar2k => b-inspirer => BSG CMOY @ low gain => HD555
i have yet to try it with a Cowon i7

I am noob (hence the 1st post) but must admit i am sooo pleased with this $55 CMOY w/ a OP2227 OP-amp (attempting to roll a AD8620 but the size is different). Okay, it's not at the same level as a LD.MT or Gilmore lite, but for the price it's pretty good. Burn in is REAL!!! HUGE difference especially with the Sennheiser cans. It sounded extremely bad out of the box, but i put about 200 hours through it and now it sounds really nice.

The CMOY can't hit the lows/sound like a real subwoofer (never tried the bassboost CMOY), perfect highs, or have the "depth" or as wide of stage as the more expensive stuff. You can hear the simplicity and it's really clean/crisp for Most of the range. It has a lot of detail compared to NO amp. It doesn't get the hum from the ground loop noise guess since it's battery powered; no need to buy an isolator for extra to fix it.

All you need is a decent source, a decent set of headphones, a well made CMOY and you got something that will blow away most if not all stock mainstream PMP/DAP.

====
i think the CMOY does most lyrics fairly well. When i play some fine instrumental music (cello, guitar, violin - strings or winds) the difference between a CMOY and a real amp becomes very obvious. My LD.MT sounds real in that area.

A nice CMOY is definitely the place to start and get a baseline before you go drop $3xx on something. if i could do everything over i probably would've started with higher level cans...maybe HD650s, DT880, AKG701s, but the 555's are holding up very well for multi purpose use - home entertainment, portable kinda big & clumsy, and FPS gaming.

Sep 29, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #2 of 3
That's great!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back