Pocketknives, any body into Knife-Fi?
Mar 6, 2005 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 240

Thaddy

Headphoneus Supremus
After reading the "Craziet Things" thread, and recalling my incident walking home at night (which is always creepy), I'm thinking of getting a small pocket knife. I want to keep the total under $50, and have no idea where to look, there are tons!

However, I was reading Maxim today, and noticed the site www.crkt.com. The featured knife was the Van Hoy Snap Lock 2, found here . The price is ok, and the size seems good, but I have no clue if this is worth getting.

So, I'd be interested to hear about the stuff you guys own or carry with you. And I'm sorry if a thread like this already exists, I didn't turn one up with my search.

Mar 6, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #2 of 240
Yeah, we just had a pocket knife thread a week ago. A knife is not really a good weapon for self-defense. As far as knives go, I like Benchmade. For Around $50 you can get a Mini Griptillian. CRKT makes good knives for the money as does Ken Onion and Spyderco.

Here is last weeks thread

Mar 6, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 240
Ok thanks for that link, I'll read through it and check out some of the manufacturers sites. Right now I like some offerings from Spyderco and CRKT
cool.gif

edit: Excellent thread, I think I'm going to order something from New Graham, since the prices are excellent and they sure have a nice assortment. I guess I should take the "self defense" part back as well. Now that I think about it, I wasn't really serious, I was over-reacting a bit from the thread I was reading. I'm just looking for a decent knife to carry with me to aid in everyday tasks
tongue.gif

Mar 6, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 240
A non-weapon looking knife is best for everyday tasks. The Leatherman and its contemporaries, or a Swiss army knife are generally considered harmless. Anything large, with a serrated edge and lots of black is considered threatening.
rolleyes.gif

And still there are people with illegal guns out there... why do lawmakers discriminate against knives? Votes
tongue.gif

Mar 6, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #6 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire
A non-weapon looking knife is best for everyday tasks. The Leatherman and its contemporaries, or a Swiss army knife are generally considered harmless. Anything large, with a serrated edge and lots of black is considered threatening.
rolleyes.gif

And still there are people with illegal guns out there... why do lawmakers discriminate against knives? Votes
tongue.gif

Yeah, that is one reason why I was leaning towards the CRKT Rollock2. It's very sleek looking, and doesn't look too intimidating. It's a little more expensive than the Snap Lock 2 though, which is $35 shipped from New Graham.

edit: Right now it's between the CRKT Rollock2, the CRKT Snap Lock2, the Kershaw Chive, and the Gerber Trendy.

Mar 6, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
However, I was reading Maxim today, and noticed the site www.crkt.com. The featured knife was the Van Hoy Snap Lock 2, found here . The price is ok, and the size seems good, but I have no clue if this is worth getting.

The Snap Lock 2 is more of a novelty knife than anything else, looks cool, but not very functional. Skeleton handles are a pain in the butt, great for low profile concealment of dedicated self-defence knives, but an ergonomic nightmare for knives that you'll actually use for everyday stuff. The grind & shape of the blade is also impractical, you're probably just as well off carrying a boxcutter.

Personal recommendations. For something small that just disappears in your pocket, the Kershaw Chive is a good bet. Good for light duty use, but may be too small depending on what needs cutting.

Kershaw Vapor. Slim, pretty, and big enough to do almost anything. Very secure framelock and a good useful blade shape & grind. Nothing comes close in its price range, and it can hold its own against knives costing 2-3 times as much.

Or for something a little more fancy, the Kershaw Sapphire is a good bet. It has a nice rainbow blue finish which makes it more people friendly, and you get a nicer blade steel that takes a sharper edge and keeps it longer.

Forgot the Benchmade Monochrome. This one's quite nice too, think of it as the Kershaw Sapphire blade in the Vapor handle.

Mar 6, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #8 of 240
Appreciate the help Aerius, I went ahead and ordered a black Kershaw Chive from NewGraham a few minutes ago. I'm glad it's on your list, it seems like a nice, small knife that won't weigh my pockets down.

Mar 6, 2005 at 10:26 PM Post #10 of 240
This is one of my knives:
kershaw.jpg

I take it with me when I hike or climb, usually when we are on vacation. Ken Onion has this mechanism that allows the blade to come out almost as fast as my automatics. The only thing I don't like is the plastic handle but so far I have had no durability issues.

Mar 6, 2005 at 11:37 PM Post #12 of 240
I use a knife to cut my sandwich in half....
rolleyes.gif

Mar 6, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #13 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
A very handy tool, the Stanley Knife:

crw_8477.jpg

A Scottish weapon of choice if ever i've seen one!
tongue.gif
- The way i see it,Don't ever pull a blade on someone unless you're willing to use it because one day some big a55 mofo's gonna take that same knife off you and do you some damage with it
plainface.gif

Mar 6, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #14 of 240
Nice choice on the kershaw chive, I had the red aluminum scaled one.
Very sharp out of the box, made in japan, opens fast, slim profile, can't go wrong.
Be careful if you clip it in your pocket to make sure the slide lock is on, once it openned up in my pocket and I had to gingerly take it out.

Mar 7, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #15 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlindTiger
Nice choice on the kershaw chive, I had the red aluminum scaled one.
Very sharp out of the box, made in japan, opens fast, slim profile, can't go wrong.
Be careful if you clip it in your pocket to make sure the slide lock is on, once it openned up in my pocket and I had to gingerly take it out.

Thanks for that, I'll probably be clipping it on my pocket too. Some of my pants have deeper pockets, and I don't like too much stuff jiggling around down there
tongue.gif

I'm excited to get it, I've heard a lot about the smooth operation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back