Poetable DAP and Amp for Sennheiser Momentum
Aug 11, 2015 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

EagleWings

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,

I am buying a pair of Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear(Gen 1) and I am looking for some professional help with regards to finding the right rigs, DAPs and Amps to go with it. As for the DAP, I have narrowed it down to Fiio X1 and Fiio X3. My budget is &150-$200 and I can't buy an amp if I am buying the X3. I can afford a Fiio E11k, in case I am buying the X1. Given my situation, which of the following config would you recommend to pair with my Sennheiser Momentum cans?

a) Fiio X1 + Fiio E11k
b) Fiio X3 + No Amp

A little background information about me: I listen to the following genres: Pop, Soft Rock, Blues, Instrumental, Indian, Classical, Symphonies, Psychedelic and Techno. I like my cans to be slightly inclined towards bass.
In terms of music gear, so far I have have owned:
4 pairs of Sennheiser, just earbuds and in-ears: MX 365, MX 680, CX 275s and MM30; 
1 pair of Shure SE 215 IEM and
1 pair of UE 600 IEM.
Loved my Shure. The UEs were good as well but not as good as the Shures.

Mostly used my PC and iPhone for playback.

Aug 11, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #4 of 8
The X3 sounds great and has PLENTY of amp power for your headphones. You'll appreciate only having to carry and charge one device. :)

Aug 11, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #6 of 8
Thank you all for your inputs. X3 it is!
On a related topic, could you also guide me with regards to the music for the device. The format of most my music collection is MP3. When playing the MP3 format on my X3, will I experience a significant difference in how it sounds when compared to playing the same on my iPhone or a regular MP3 player such as Sansa Clip? I am asking because I am not sure if I need to invest to replace my current collection with loss-less counterparts (as I plan on getting only loss-less from this point moving forward). And also if you could suggest sources where I could get loss-less music for the best price. Any suggestion is much appreciated. 

Thank you!

Aug 11, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #7 of 8
Hi, here to help...you will indeed notice a marked  improvement in playing mp3 files via the X3. Lot more "kick" compared to an iphone or other phones for that matter.I use Qubuz sublime for hi-res listening via my home set up. You can purchase / download flac files via their website and transfer to the X3. Another option is to copy your cd's  to your desktop / laptop and transfer them to the X3. Of course, your headphones play a significant role!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back