Poll best electrostatic headphones for trance and electronic music?
Jan 5, 2010 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

gomincha

Head-Fier
Assuming they are at their full potential
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 5, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 33
I don't think you'll ever find estats great for electronica. Their low end is anemic and it never keep up in dynamic and energy with upper range of spectrum. That produces some very strange effects. I always laugh when I try to listen any music with beats through lambada. It simple doesn't work.

Why do you want electrostatic for beats anyway? Because of their speed? If so, you wont be satisfied with any of them. Transients are way to soft and bass can't keep up. Perhaps you should try Denon D7000 with some powerful and punchy amp.

Jan 5, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think you'll ever find estats great for electronica. Their low end is anemic and it never keep up in dynamic and energy with upper range of spectrum. That produces some very strange effects. I always laugh when I try to listen any music with beats through lambada. It simple doesn't work.

Why do you want electrostatic for beats anyway? Because of their speed? If so, you wont be satisfied with any of them. Transients are way to soft and bass can't keep up. Perhaps you should try Denon D7000 with some powerful and punchy amp.

I don't mean to be rude, but I have one question. Have you listened to pretty much every single electrostat available and were they all properly amped?

Jan 5, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #5 of 33
Severe electronicahead here. Spitzer-modded 404 or the old Lambda Pro from the 80s. I don't like Staxes too much normally, but these ones were (almost) must-have.

Jan 5, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 33
Without a doubt the K-1000. Wonderful imaging and soundstage. The vibrations in the music are incredible. The O2 does it pretty well too but the air around the different sounds isn't there like it is with the K-1000.

Jan 5, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't mean to be rude, but I have one question. Have you listened to pretty much every single electrostat available and were they all properly amped?

Nope, I only listened sr202 /srm252 and sr404/SRM-323 but issues I mentioned were so pronounced here that I can hardly imagine Omega, or any other can do it that much better. But, ok, perhaps my previous post isn't completely valid than.
redface.gif

Jan 5, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Uh... how about you try actually listening to the 'stats mentioned above before telling anyone that they can't hack it.

'Stats vary just as much as dynamics do. The "whole 'stats can't do bass" thing is absurd since there are plenty of dynamics out there that also can't do bass, but it doesn't mean that every dynamic can't do bass either. And if you try the 202 and 404 out of a proper amp with a good source, you'd be surprised as to what kind of bass they can put out, too.

I really like the O2 with electronica, but it depends on what sound you're after. If you want the 12-inch-woofer-in-trunk type of sound, then 'stats aren't going to give it to you (well maybe the O2 Mk2 in a specific system can come close, but why you would want it to is another matter...). But if you do want a balanced, high-end presentation then I can't really think of anything that will be better, provided the O2 is driven well enough to wake up its bass and dynamic range - and therein lies the catch, unfortunately.

The O2, when well-driven, is a truly versatile headphone. Underdriven, not so much.

I also really liked the HE90 with the more downtempo stuff (like Shpongle); its massive soundstage and velvety mids work really well here.

Jan 5, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #10 of 33
SRM-T1 + 404LE, loves the Infected Mushroom music
biggrin.gif

But other than HE60 I've not heard high-end electrostats

Jan 5, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Quote:

Nope, I only listened sr202 /srm252 and sr404/SRM-323 but issues I mentioned were so pronounced here that I can hardly imagine Omega, or any other can do it that much better. But, ok, perhaps my previous post isn't completely valid than.
redface.gif

Its not "not completely valid" its completely invalid. You've passed a sweeping generalisation over headphones in the poll, none of which you've heard. Everything you've written is inappropriate garbage.

The D7000 has a big low end, I'd agree with that, shame that the rest of it sounds like ass once you turn the volume up higher than a whisper.

As for saying that the SR-202 has soft transients, you must have either a defective amplifier or a defective ear.

My vote goes for the O2, because it has a meatier sound than the HE60. I've not heard the SR-Omega.

May I ask gomincha, why you're after electrostatic headphones specifically. If you're not familiar with them they may indeed not be what you want. Their character is different from most dynamics.

Jan 5, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for saying that the SR-202 has soft transients, you must have either a defective amplifier or a defective ear.

Oh, excuse me mr. golden ears, it must be my ears are defective since amplifier is fine and paired together with the phones by the manufacturer.

Jan 6, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

I don't think you'll ever find estats great for electronica. Their low end is anemic and it never keep up in dynamic and energy with upper range of spectrum.

Not all electronica is basshead music. Ever listened to downtempo? I like stats with electronica for two reasons: they're hyper detailed, which is awesome for some types of electronica, and they're really, really fast, which is also awesome for electronica (Infected Mushroom is awesome with a pair of lambdas.)

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D7000 has a big low end, I'd agree with that, shame that the rest of it sounds like ass once you turn the volume up higher than a whisper.

While I disagree with Dexon too I think the above comments are going a bit too far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back