Portability? The next step after my IE8s? (long post).
Mar 5, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:
I have a 10% return customer discount at musicaacoustics from purchasing my 1plus2 from them. I don't really need anything else from them besides maybe more ortofon tips. If you decide to purchase the 1plus2, send me a PM, I'll see if Dimitri at musicacoustics will allow me to use the 10% on your order.

At the time I ordered (January 2013), Gavin didn't have stock until late March. I'm not sure how his schedule is right now. I believe musicaacoustics currently has one in stock. If I'm not mistaken, it's a black shell, with black carbon fibre face plate.

Thanks. Very much appreciated (it presents substantial cost savings!). Will let you know how it goes. But please, if you can use it, do go ahead.

I was actually looking for a totally black shell. Gavin recommended me going for carbon fibre. I've never been a big fan of it. But if it has to be :)

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #17 of 22
It's been a while now this. But I think I should update this and state that I'm going the way of the 1plus2s. 

I've dropped the idea of the 8.As for several reasons, the simple one being that it is likely to be more difficult to drive than the 1plus2s given that I'm already running from a much scaled down source. 

That aside however, the 1plus2 is a massive risk and gamble, and one that I feel, given what I've read, could go extremely well, or extremely wrong. All that aside, it is a universal, and on that note, will be a lower risk than a custom. Plus, I'm suing lee730 if all else fails. 

Jokes aside, I think if I had to go with a custom, I'd have opted for the Audio/Custom Earz Aud-7X. I like what I've read about it, and I'm all about supporting the smaller companies who give out great quality at the same time. I can't vouch for their customer service, but I can for Tralucent Audio and I won't deny that that is one of the reasons I've opted to go with them. Heir on the other hand, lost me a little given that I was told to let my local company work to earn their dough. The local company never got back to me on several things, so that was that. Plus, Heir was getting way too massively hyped up as well, despite the fact that admittedly, I would like to try them out some day. I don't have the quid to fork out unlike some other head-fiers and because I don't exactly buy lots of earphone equipment all the time, it won't be a massive loss for any one company all things considered. 

That aside, all throughout, my communication with Gavin has been both honest and open, and I appreciate that. I know that in my dealings with him, he has maintained my respect in providing his opinion on several issues, including the fact that the 1plus2s may not be to my liking in some aspects (potentially). 

But moving on, I do feel that this should be a massive step up in some respects, and I look forward to hearing them at some point in the near future. I've waited a while, and have been wanting to upgrade for sometime now. It's my little gift to myself for making it this far in life given where I've come from. 

I've had to think long and hard over this because it amounts to a massive amount of my pay currently. I'm not very young, but I'm only just starting out in my working career. Heck, I've not actually considered employed. I'm just receiving an allowance. Anyhow. With this upgrade, it will finally put to rest the question, hopefully, of how much I am potentially missing out, both in terms of sound quality, and also the potential differences from portability (minimal) and portable (cumbersome). Cumbersome being the full rig. How will I test this? I'll do it on my home setup and see how that goes. And I'll be in a far better position to comment, and be more informed for future decisions.

It's hard just reading walls of text and attempting to make a decision on a purchase. It is made even more cripplingly difficult when one loves their music, but does not possess the financial muscle. Anyhow, just thought I'd update this little thread since I started it in the first place. 

:)

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:
It's been a while now this. But I think I should update this and state that I'm going the way of the 1plus2s. 

I've dropped the idea of the 8.As for several reasons, the simple one being that it is likely to be more difficult to drive than the 1plus2s given that I'm already running from a much scaled down source. 

That aside however, the 1plus2 is a massive risk and gamble, and one that I feel, given what I've read, could go extremely well, or extremely wrong. All that aside, it is a universal, and on that note, will be a lower risk than a custom. Plus, I'm suing lee730 if all else fails. 

Jokes aside, I think if I had to go with a custom, I'd have opted for the Audio/Custom Earz Aud-7X. I like what I've read about it, and I'm all about supporting the smaller companies who give out great quality at the same time. I can't vouch for their customer service, but I can for Tralucent Audio and I won't deny that that is one of the reasons I've opted to go with them. Heir on the other hand, lost me a little given that I was told to let my local company work to earn their dough. The local company never got back to me on several things, so that was that. Plus, Heir was getting way too massively hyped up as well, despite the fact that admittedly, I would like to try them out some day. I don't have the quid to fork out unlike some other head-fiers and because I don't exactly buy lots of earphone equipment all the time, it won't be a massive loss for any one company all things considered. 

That aside, all throughout, my communication with Gavin has been both honest and open, and I appreciate that. I know that in my dealings with him, he has maintained my respect in providing his opinion on several issues, including the fact that the 1plus2s may not be to my liking in some aspects (potentially). 

But moving on, I do feel that this should be a massive step up in some respects, and I look forward to hearing them at some point in the near future. I've waited a while, and have been wanting to upgrade for sometime now. It's my little gift to myself for making it this far in life given where I've come from. 

I've had to think long and hard over this because it amounts to a massive amount of my pay currently. I'm not very young, but I'm only just starting out in my working career. Heck, I've not actually considered employed. I'm just receiving an allowance. Anyhow. With this upgrade, it will finally put to rest the question, hopefully, of how much I am potentially missing out, both in terms of sound quality, and also the potential differences from portability (minimal) and portable (cumbersome). Cumbersome being the full rig. How will I test this? I'll do it on my home setup and see how that goes. And I'll be in a far better position to comment, and be more informed for future decisions.

It's hard just reading walls of text and attempting to make a decision on a purchase. It is made even more cripplingly difficult when one loves their music, but does not possess the financial muscle. Anyhow, just thought I'd update this little thread since I started it in the first place. 

:)

Yay! Glad you decided to go with the 1plus2. I don't think you will be disappointed. How long is the wait time? Is it still 4-5 weeks? The wait begins...

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:
Yay! Glad you decided to go with the 1plus2. I don't think you will be disappointed. How long is the wait time? Is it still 4-5 weeks? The wait begins...

Well...I won't be waiting that long 
wink.gif

To be honest, I don't think I'll be disappointed. At worst, I'll use my UE700s for a week first to annoy the hell out of myself, then use the 1plus2s 
biggrin.gif

That aside, the turn around time is still around 4 - 5 weeks given that they are made to order so to speak. My wait has been a while now sort of! Can't wait! Ears itching!

May 25, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #20 of 22
May 25, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #22 of 22

Users who are viewing this thread

Back