Portable AMP for Grado RS1i
Mar 11, 2011 at 9:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

M1ST

New Head-Fier
Hi All, I'm a newly born Audiophile. I've always had an ear for finer sounds, but as of late of made it official :) I've got a pair of Grado RS1i's and am looking for a good portable amp to go with using an ipod as the source. I know it's not that difficult to drive Grado's but would appreciate recommendations. Pricewise < $200 Thanks!

Mar 11, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #2 of 16
You're right that they're not hard to drive, but Grados do like a lot of current. 

I've had good luck with Ray Samuel's amps with my RS-1's.  They often tend to be slightly warmer/darker which is a nice compliment to the brightish highs of an RS-1.  My favorite combination was always the original SR71, but of currently available amps the Mustang/Shadow or SR71a would be a reasoanble alternative.  The SR71b is also great if you wish to try balanced and would like to go broke at the same time.

I've also spent time with several other brands of portables, but I always felt the RS stuff did the best job with that headphone.

Mar 30, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #11 of 16
Unless you are prepared to undergo the expense of having your Grados balanced AND you have a balanced source/DAC, I believe that the consensus was that there are better single-ended choices than the 71B - happy to hear otherwise.

At $650 plus postage, you are in striking distance of very good tube amps from the likes of Woo, Darkvoice and Little Dot - that may not be a fair comparison for someone whose needs are strictly transportable, but I feel that it needs to be said.  On the plus side, you wont spend your nights trawling EBay for tube upgrades.

Apr 4, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #12 of 16
I am very happy with the iBasso D12 and my RS2i headphones. I have a little dot 1+ on my desk that does wonders when paired with the D12 acting as a standalone DAC and when I want to head out to the backyard all I have to do is unplug the D12 and throw it in my bag. The combination is great and largely because the D12 is a great little DAC as well as a portable amp.

Apr 8, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #14 of 16
I used it on the SR-71 and thought is sounds great. Then I change to the Stepdance and it sounds even better. I am going to try on the Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 with dedicated PSU soon. I have the GRADO big earpad for the GS1000. Hope it will go well the the X-Cans,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back