Portable headphone decision..... That Planar sound...on the go!
May 22, 2015 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Jbmorrey

500+ Head-Fier
Ok, so I don't have access to listening to headphones other than what you would find at Best Buy. So I can tell you what I have and what I listen to and hopefully you can help me decide, or throw in a sugesstion.

I own the Thinksound on1 and to honest, I am quite pleased with them, I am just thinking there could be room for an upgrade.

What I like: Great Mid's for vocals, a little sparkle to the headphones with decent bass.
I listen to: Acoustic, indie pop, my favorite Genere on Spotify is "Chill" I also listen to some John Coltrane and simular Jazz.

I own for home use: hifiman HE400 (love 'em) and Beyerdynamic dt880 250 ohm and like the sound signature on both, so I hope that helps to determine what kind of portable I would like.

I am narrowing it down to: Beyerdynamic t51i/p , beyerdynamic dt1350, ATH ESW9, Senheiser Amperior, Sennheiser HD25 models

Which of these would come closest to my home use headphones.

Thanks All!!!

James

May 22, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 3
Frankly, the ON-1 are competitive with most of the cans you have listed. I would avoid the ESW9 (treble roll off) and the Amperiors (midrange isn't great).

Of the remainder, I would recommend the T51p as being closest to the HE-400 in balance, provided you use an amp. Straight out of a smartphone, the T51p can sound boomy and uncontrolled.

The HD25 can perform well straight out of a phone after a recable, and the DT1350 is also worth a listen (not all sound the same, though...). The DT1350 probably has the most neutral, "monitor-like" sound.

May 22, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #3 of 3
You know, I bought the Thinksound on1 because it's what I thought I would like, and I do like them. I wonder however why they are RARELY mentioned when people talk about quality sounding portables. So that makes me second guess them. I have them on my head as I type this and I think the only thing I would change would be velour or simular pads, the leather gets a little warm. I guess my inability to hear any of the"other" options makes me wonder if they are better options out there that I have not heard. Unfortunately lack of Hype makes me think there are better options.

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back