Portable headphone upgrade <$300
Apr 5, 2016 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

monkey4054

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a pair of light, portable headphones that are capable of being taken on public transport and be worn whilst walking through the city. After doing a LOT of research, I have come up with a few options as seen in the poll. The headphones need to be good with metal, rock and punk music and be under 300 AUD. I'm not too fussy with sound signature as long as they aren't boring, super harsh or too boomy in the bass. I don't mind slightly boosted bass though.

The headphones I am currently using as my portable pair are the Sennheiser HD 25 - 1 II. To me, these headphones are disappointing for the price, I'm not sure if it's the so-called "Sennheiser veil' or what, but it certainly doesn't impress me compared to headphones that cost half he price, i.e ATH-M50X. I bought these headphones due to rave reviews and recommendations based on its, alleged prowess with metal and rock genres, but I'm just not hearing it. The comfort is average, they are ugly, the cable is impractically long, although, the isolation is great. The new headphones will replace the HD-25s.

I was very close to buying the B&O H2's, however I have been slightly put off for now by reports of poor durability, and being a bad choice for people with larger heads (me) as they are hard clamping and can break easily from being over-stretched.

Thanks.

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 6
Why get the t50p, when there is the clearly better t51p/t51i. I had them myself after I sold the HD25-1 II that I didn't like for the same reasons you mentioned. By the way, the HD-25-1 II is not 'veiled'. It's just a unique sound signature for Sennheiser.

My current recommendation is different though: get the Custom Art Music One. For portable use these custom IEMs are ideal. I sold the t51p because I simply didn't use it any more after getting the Music One. The sound quality is great, the sound signature is balanced and in my experience great with the genres you mentioned. They are lighter than any on-ears, size of the head doesn't matter, they isolate extremely well and they are very durable.

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #3 of 6
  Why get the t50p, when there is the clearly better t51p/t51i. I had them myself after I sold the HD25-1 II that I didn't like for the same reasons you mentioned. By the way, the HD-25-1 II is not 'veiled'. It's just a unique sound signature for Sennheiser.

Mi current recommendation is different though: get the Custom Art Music One. For portable use these custom IEMs are ideal. I sold the t51p because I simply didn't use it any more after getting the Music One. The sound quality is great, the sound signature is balanced and in my experience great with the genres you mentioned. They are lighter than any on-ears, size of the head doesn't matter, they isolate extremely well and they are very durable.

Hey, thanks for the reply and the suggestion. Unfortunately I can't wear in ears at all, as I have very narrow ear canals. I also am not a fan of custom IEMs either, I'm only interested in headphones. I should have clarified that in my first post. The T51p/T51i are over my budget of $300 otherwise they would be there instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back