Portable Headphones for Metal/Rock
Sep 8, 2011 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Spinlight

Head-Fier
My friend is in the business for a new pair of portable headphones in the $100-$150 price range after his Skullcandy G.I.'s finally broke on him. He's looking for something with good mids and bass. The bass, specifically, from drum solos in songs. He listens to quite a bit of metal and (hard) rock. Specific bands would be Metallica, AC/DC, Slipknot, Korn, and surprisingly Queen and a little bit of Skrillex.
Hit me with all you've got, head-fi. The one caveat is he'd prefer to be able to go into a store and buy it, so it'd have to be from Best Buy, Guitar Center, etc.

Sep 8, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 14
Sennheiser HD25-1 II and audio technica ath-m50 are often mentioned here as great portable headphones. I own the Sennheiser HD25-1 II and I listen to metal a lot, in my opinion it is the best (portable) headphone for this genre. Great punchy bass, closed/forward soundstage and their agressive approach of music is perfect for fast music like (hard) rock and metal.

Sep 8, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 14
I have a pair of HD 25's and they're great, but see, the thing is the price range. HD 25's usually go for $200 from stores, since he can't buy online, so I'm looking for something in the $100-$150 range.

Sep 8, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #4 of 14
Shure srh750dj was good for metal when I had them. Very bassy. Might not be great portables though as they are large but i have seen many people use them as such.

Sep 8, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
How long is the cable length on these? I'm looking for cable length of at most 3.5 feet.

It's coiled so it is shorter and a little more convenient. If you stretch it all the way out it reaches 10 feet but that can be tricky. when not stretched it is about the same length as my shure se215s cord. So I think around 4 feet.

Sep 8, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #7 of 14
Some of the entry level cans from Shure, like the SRH440 would fit that criteria, and perhaps also the ATH-M50s.

Sep 8, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
Some of the entry level cans from Shure, like the SRH440 would fit that criteria, and perhaps also the ATH-M50s.

The cord seems quite long on the SRH 440, but I'll ask him about it.

Quote:

How did his G.I.'s break exactly?

He blew out the speakers by doing who knows what, haha. But I'm hoping that a new set of cans will tide him well for years to come.

Sep 8, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:

The cord seems quite long on the SRH 440, but I'll ask him about it.

He blew out the speakers by doing who knows what, haha. But I'm hoping that a new set of cans will tide him well for years to come.

Just thought I should mention this. Skullcandy has a lifetime warranty. Why doesn't he use it?

Sep 8, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #12 of 14
Sep 9, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #14 of 14
Can't you just get an extension on your cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back