Portable headphones under 250
Jul 11, 2013 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

lukEM22

100+ Head-Fier
I am in the market for some over-ear or on-ear headphones under 250 that meet these qualities (in order of importance)
>Most important: Unobtrusive, low profile. nothing DT770 size
1. Comfort
2. Isolation
3. Sound that is somewhere between nuetral and bass heavy (I listen to rap, chill, frank sinatra, and red hot chili peppers)
4. Style

Currently I am looking at
Monster Ncredible Npulse
DT1350
Sony MDR1R
KRK KNS 8400
Skullcandy MixMaster Mike
B&W P5
QC15

I am willing to buy used
If I forgot anything, let me now.  Thanks for your help.

Also: No amps, driven straight out of iPhone 4

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #2 of 32
V-Moda M-100. Great sound, amazingly portable, no amp necessary. They are also considered "bass-head" cans, though I don't find them to be bass heavy at all, but they do extend very deep. Perfect balance between bassy and neutral.

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #4 of 32
V-Moda M-100. Great sound, amazingly portable, no amp necessary. They are also considered "bass-head" cans, though I don't find them to be bass heavy at all, though they do extend very deep. Perfect balance between bassy and neutral.

I forgot about those. I've never been a big fan of that vmoda looks, though. I'll want to try those out to be sure they aren't too bassy.

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #5 of 32
V-Moda M-100. Great sound, amazingly portable, no amp necessary. They are also considered "bass-head" cans, though I don't find them to be bass heavy at all, though they do extend very deep. Perfect balance between bassy and neutral.

I forgot about those. I've never been a big fan of that vmoda looks, though. I'll want to try those out to be sure they aren't too bassy.

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #6 of 32
Jul 12, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #7 of 32
Do you have the dt770?
I have a soundmagic hp100. same size.

I would like some more recommendations, and I don't really like the amperior :). I would like to know more about the skullcandy and monster headphones particularly. Maybe I should just get the qc15. There's a used one floating around I know.

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #8 of 32
Ok since V-MODA is out...

Sony MDR1R: I would pick this as it is super comfy with good sound.
Skullcandy MixMaster Mike: don't bother with anything from Skullcandy...
B&W P5: sounds great but get unconfortable quick due to high clamping force.
QC15: this will be my second pick but the sound is overly warm to me.

No idea on the rest of your pick, but..., definitely check out the long standing Head-Fi approved standard: the Audio Technica ATH-50.

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #10 of 32
Jul 12, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #11 of 32
I have a soundmagic hp100. same size.

I would like some more recommendations, and I don't really like the amperior :). I would like to know more about the skullcandy and monster headphones particularly. . . .

If you can get a good discount off MSRP, the Skullcandy Mix Masters seem like a good headphone. Joker rated them pretty well in his portable headphone shootout: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-107-portable-headphones-reviewed-astrotec-as-100hd-as-200hd-added-12-02-12

Jul 12, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:
What is wrong with the Amperior?

Did you read this article? How about the other headphones mentioned?

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-ear-pad-sealed

I don't like how it looks, really. I also have never really been a fan of Sennheisers house sound. Most of the other headphones there I don't like the look of, I have 2 out of those top 5 listed.

Quote:

I have looked over and read all of this numerous times
Quote:
Ok since V-MODA is out...

Sony MDR1R: I would pick this as it is super comfy with good sound.
Skullcandy MixMaster Mike: don't bother with anything from Skullcandy...
B&W P5: sounds great but get unconfortable quick due to high clamping force.
QC15: this will be my second pick but the sound is overly warm to me.

No idea on the rest of your pick, but..., definitely check out the long standing Head-Fi approved standard: the Audio Technica ATH-50.

I did look into the M50 but it is a little too big.

The Mixmaster got high ratings and reviews every where I looked. (innerfidelity being one)
I'll look for somewhere where I can listen to the QC15 and MDR1R. Also, I heard the B&W was incredibly comfortable. But I'm not as interested in it as others.

I still like the DT1350 too. A split headband is a big plus for me.

Jul 12, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:
I am in the market for some over-ear or on-ear headphones under 250 that meet these qualities (in order of importance)
>Most important: Unobtrusive, low profile. nothing DT770 size
1. Comfort
2. Isolation
3. Sound that is somewhere between nuetral and bass heavy (I listen to rap, chill, frank sinatra, and red hot chili peppers)
4. Style

Currently I am looking at
Monster Ncredible Npulse
DT1350
Sony MDR1R
KRK KNS 8400
Skullcandy MixMaster Mike
B&W P5
QC15

I am willing to buy used
If I forgot anything, let me now.  Thanks for your help.

Also: No amps, driven straight out of iPhone 4

Hello.

Sony MDR-1R: Crazy comfortable, great looking (I had the brown-silver combo... lovely :wink:), good sounding, BUT their upper-mids were fatiguing FOR ME (some other people doesn't seem to have a problem with them, and others, like Tyll, just prefer to listen to them at lower volume levels...)

KRK KNS8400s: Errmm... you like Hip Hop, bass? Then don't get these. I prefered my Shure SRH440s/SRH940s over these due to the fact that these KRKs were colder sounding and had inconsistent highs. They were good for recording a few tracks and mixing them though...

Skullcandy MMM: I actually like these even though they were warm sounding. Good bass and mids with a bit of a roll-off up top. The only TWO things that killed it: Comfort (joker mentioned it on his review)... the pads are a bit shallow and the plastic from the outer pad can be pressed on the ear... it's not pleasant. The other thing, TOO PLASTICKY. These are DJ-oriented and they have some EXCELLENT features but I'm not sure about durability.

Whoever mentioned that Skullcandy sucks, maybe they didn't tried these ones...
I did a "showdown" between these and V-Moda M80s long ago... --> http://bienvenidogeeks.blogspot.com/2012/06/faceoff-skullcandy-mix-master-mike-vs-v.html

(price was one of the "cons" but now they can be found cheaper...)

Monster Ncredible Npulse: HOLY SHHHH... :wink: I just plain LOVE these guys and you can find them for $105 or so on eBay (these are new so no fakes yet as far as I know! :wink:). For my impressions and some others:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/668530/surprised-monster-ncredible-n-pulse-are-kicking-my-general-musings-impressions-reviews-etc-thread

V-moda M100s are an excellent choice too (also mentioned) and maybe even... the just announced on-ear Sennheiser Momentums?

Anyway, these are some short notes on the few you mentioned.
If found at a GREAT price, I would probably go with the Sony MDR-1R due to excellent comfort, looks and Ok sound even if they can be a bit fatiguing with some genres. If not that, I would actually take the Monster NPulse....

Good luck!

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:
I don't like how it looks, really. I also have never really been a fan of Sennheisers house sound. Most of the other headphones there I don't like the look of, I have 2 out of those top 5 listed.

I have looked over and read all of this numerous times

I did look into the M50 but it is a little too big.

The Mixmaster got high ratings and reviews every where I looked. (innerfidelity being one)
I'll look for somewhere where I can listen to the QC15 and MDR1R. Also, I heard the B&W was incredibly comfortable. But I'm not as interested in it as others.

I still like the DT1350 too. A split headband is a big plus for me.

Yeah comfort wise the MDR1R is hard to beat.  I just tried it last week in a Sony store and felt great.  The M50 actually isn't that big compare to the MDR1R and also rank pretty high on comfort.  The B&W P5, which I have, is good for short term use, but it does have a pretty strong clamping force and I have to take it off after 2 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back