Portable over/around ear headphone for ~$200?
Nov 23, 2012 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

PETEREK

Member of the Trade: ThePETEREK on Etsy
Previously known as cCasper TFG
  Hi, I'm new here on Head-fi and am interested in buying some good headphones for while I'm working. I work in a factory generally dont have to walk far from my station for 2-3 hours at a time. I want something that doesn't require an amp but I may be interested in using one in the future. I listen to a lot of metal, and occasionally dubstep. I love bass, but I dont want it to drown out the rest of the sounds.
  I looked through a lot of the threads and cant seem to find the right headphone for me based on the comparisons I've read. Right now I'm considering the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohm. Some people have said that these are great headphones with great bass that doesn't blend into the mids and have good treble, but I've also read the complete opposite about the bass. 
  Some of the bands I listen to are Emmure, For The Fallen Dreams, All That Remains, The Devil Wears Prada, A Day To Remember...and then Dubstep. 

Right now I own a pair of Kicker HP541's that I really like. I dont like the build quiality of them though, they feel quite cheap. (All plastic) They have good bass and I think the mids are decent and the treble is also decent. I also have a pair of Astro A40's for gaming along with the Mixamp that comes with them. They sound better than the Kickers do, but they arent what I would call portable. They seem to have a larger sound stage. All the sounds are more separated and I can hear strums from guitars and symbols rather than a hazy, mixed sound from the two. I want even more than that from the next pair of headphones I buy. 
 I've also owned a pair of Bose AE2i, Bose IE, Bose IE2, Astro A30.

I'm ready to spend about $200 on headphones. Can you guys give me some suggestions based on what I listen to? 

Thank you!

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 15
Also, I really need a pair of comfortable headphones. I'm going to be wearing them for hours at a time. I have an industrial piercing in my ear and have ear rings so I would think that something with a large ear cup would be better? That was one of the reasons I became interested in the DT770, large, very comfy looking ear cups :)

Nov 23, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #3 of 15
Also, I really need a pair of comfortable headphones. I'm going to be wearing them for hours at a time. I have an industrial piercing in my ear and have ear rings so I would think that something with a large ear cup would be better? That was one of the reasons I became interested in the DT770, large, very comfy looking ear cups :)

You might be better with on-ears (supra-aural) than over-ears (circumaural).

Have a look at V-Moda M80 for on-ears, which would fit your other requirements.

Nov 24, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:
You might be better with on-ears (supra-aural) than over-ears (circumaural).
Have a look at V-Moda M80 for on-ears, which would fit your other requirements.

I looked into them on the forums here just now. Everyone seemed to think they had a great sound but nobody thought they were comfortable. They most positive thing I read about comfort is that they "could stand wearing them for a half hour, any more than that I hated them." I'm really wanting something that I'm going to be able to wear for a few hours with the least amount of discomfort. I know that I'm kind of asking a lot for the $200 price; comfort, bass, large sound stage, good build quality... but there has to be something like that out there. 

Nov 24, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
I'm also not a fan of the pleather, plastic (whatever it is) ear pads. 

Quote:
I looked into them on the forums here just now. Everyone seemed to think they had a great sound but nobody thought they were comfortable. They most positive thing I read about comfort is that they "could stand wearing them for a half hour, any more than that I hated them." I'm really wanting something that I'm going to be able to wear for a few hours with the least amount of discomfort. I know that I'm kind of asking a lot for the $200 price; comfort, bass, large sound stage, good build quality... but there has to be something like that out there. 

Sounds like the DT770 Pro. Velour (not the sticky pleather kind) pads, comfort could sell these cans alone, very nice bass, with gobs of quantity while still going deep. Everything you basically want.

Nov 24, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Sounds like the DT770 Pro. Velour (not the sticky pleather kind) pads, comfort could sell these cans alone, very nice bass, with gobs of quantity while still going deep. Everything you basically want.

Ok, this thread was mainly started to ensure that I was making the right decision going with the DT770. Thanks!

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #8 of 15
The Denon D2000 will meet all your requirements anf they sound amazing in bass region with great details showing in mids and crisp clear highs, D2000 will improve with AMPs help and work fine without it. Other headphones like Sony MA900(openback),  M80, DT770, Ultrasone HFI780 and Harmen Kardon CL are recommended too.

Nov 24, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #9 of 15
Thank you for all your responses. I just placed my order for a pair of DT770 Pro 80 OHM headphones and a separate order for a SLAPPA hard-shell case. (http://www.slappa.com/HardBody-PRO-Full-Size-Headphone-case?whence=) I hope the headphones fit in this case. 

Dec 26, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #10 of 15
  Thank you for all your responses. I just placed my order for a pair of DT770 Pro 80 OHM headphones and a separate order for a SLAPPA hard-shell case. (http://www.slappa.com/HardBody-PRO-Full-Size-Headphone-case?whence=) I hope the headphones fit in this case. 

How did the DT770's end up feeling with your industrial piercing? I've been thinking about getting an industrial piercing myself. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #11 of 15
How did the DT770's end up feeling with your industrial piercing? I've been thinking about getting an industrial piercing myself. :veryevil:  

I didn't really have a problem with the industrial, but I've had mine done since March of 2008. That piercing takes longer than most to heal because they have to use a needle and a cork rather than a piercing gun. I had mine pierced with a 16g needle and then later put in a 14g bar. It took about 7 months for mine to totally heal, and I wouldn't have been able to wear over ear headphones until it was. It was extremely sensitive. It was my first piercing, so my memory of the pain may be a bit exaggerated because it wasn't a pain I had ever felt before. Now, if I had gotten my nipples done Before the industrial, maybe I wouldn't remember it being so bad..

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #12 of 15
I didn't really have a problem with the industrial, but I've had mine done since March of 2008. That piercing takes longer than most to heal because they have to use a needle and a cork rather than a piercing gun. I had mine pierced with a 16g needle and then later put in a 14g bar. It took about 7 months for mine to totally heal, and I wouldn't have been able to wear over ear headphones until it was. It was extremely sensitive. It was my first piercing, so my memory of the pain may be a bit exaggerated because it wasn't a pain I had ever felt before. Now, if I had gotten my nipples done Before the industrial, maybe I wouldn't remember it being so bad..

Haha, oh I know. I got my nipples done a couple years ago and that pain completely eclipsed my other piercings. 
tongue_smile.gif

Thanks for the response though! I will definitely take that into consideration. For a wild moment I thought circumaural headphones might be able to give an industrial (or any cartilage piercing) enough space to fit completely inside the pad; but yeah it doesn't seem so.

Thanks again
beerchug.gif

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #13 of 15
  Haha, oh I know. I got my nipples done a couple years ago and that pain completely eclipsed my other piercings. 
tongue_smile.gif

Thanks for the response though! I will definitely take that into consideration. For a wild moment I thought circumaural headphones might be able to give an industrial (or any cartilage piercing) enough space to fit completely inside the pad; but yeah it doesn't seem so.

Thanks again
beerchug.gif

The beyer cups are very big, but they still rest on the ends of my industrial. You might be able to use on-ear headphones if you aren't doing any physical activities that would cause them to bounce around. 

Dec 28, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #14 of 15
If you don't find the Astro's portable I don't know why you think another large circumaural headphone like a Beyerdynamic would be at all better.
confused.gif

Maybe it's personal bias, but only the smallest over ears like the Sennheiser Momentum qualify (and even then, only just) as portable in my book. I think a DT770 would be a catastrophic choice for portable application. I own the DT880, which is the same size I believe. I wouldn't even think of (other than for laughs) carting something that big, and with that long a cable in stock form, around with me. I'd feel and look ridiculous.

Dec 28, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #15 of 15
The Astros are big, yes, but the thing that makes them not so portable is the squared headband. It sticks off your head pretty far in the corners and moves pretty easily if you're using them while walking around. The Beyerdynamics are full size headphones too, and seem kind of big, but the headband is tighter than the Astro's and it is much more flush to your head. I agree with you when you say the cable is too long for a portable headphone, so with both my DT770's and my DT880's I installed 3.5mm jacks in them and used 4 foot cables. I used both pairs as part of my portable rig for my job and never had a problem with them, other than the DT880 having sound leakage. If you can solve the 10' cable issue by recabling or doing what I did, I would highly recommend the DTxxx's for portable rigs.

My DT770 and 880 showing off their jacks, and below that is my DT770 in my Slappa hard shell case with my work badge, gum, Fiio E6, and cable. I no longer have either of these pairs of headphones though :frowning2:

This picture was before I painted them glossy green.

EDIT: I just realized that this was my own thread. HAHAHAHA This was from about a year ago, just last week I was commenting on a thread with a similar title giving recommendations for the DT770 and thought that THIS was that thread. Whoops!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back