Portable Power Staion?
Jul 15, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #16 of 25
My little EcoFlow River conked out after 5 years. I took the plunge and purchased an EcoFlow Delta 2 Max LiFePo power station last night from EcoFlow's website during their Prime Day sale ($200 off + 8% off coupon code). It's the best price I've seen on this particular unit. I think this is a better investment than any more power conditioning equipment.

It's a chonky device, weighing in at 50 pounds. As it comes with 2048 Wh of capacity, it's probably overkill for my intended use. I plan to run everything in my hifi system but the amps off its battery power. In addition to six AC outlets, it has two 12-volt 3A DC outlets to power my endpoint and router. It has enough juice to be a backup generator during blackouts, as well.

I'll report back after I receive it from FedEx and slot it into my system.

sec18_1.ec4287db.pngc8d5de29-7b70-52ca-b232-68f3bc2ca875.jpeg

I'm wondering how this battery-based device would fare against something like our PowerStation, or any other power conditioner. I look forward to your impressions :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 1, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #17 of 25

Any updates on how the Ecoflow River is working out for you? I'm curious because I've been looking at these as an alternative to power conditioning.

Aug 1, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #18 of 25
Any updates on how the Ecoflow River is working out for you? I'm curious because I've been looking at these as an alternative to power conditioning.
I'm still experimenting and testing different permutations of my system with the EcoFlow. And I have the Delta 2 Max, not the smaller River series.

Prior to purchasing the Delta 2 Max, I watched a lot of video reviews and read through published reviews about it. Available measurements showed its inverter was around 90% efficient and consistently produced a smooth sine wave, even under heavy load. I chose it over the Delta 2 because measurements of that model showed its inverter was less efficient and it was less capable of maintaining a smooth sine wave under load.

I've used the Delta 2 Max solely in my two-channel system so far, not in my headphone setup. What I can say is that my Delta 2 Max is a game-changer for digital sources and equipment. Dead silent background with no impact on the sound of the components, unlike most power conditioners that impart some type of change. Analog components are another matter. In my system, it can easily handle two monoblock amplifiers plugged into it without effort, but I think I lose out on dynamic range when they're plugged into it. I prefer my amplifiers plugged directly into the wall, but as I said, I'm still experimenting.

The one disappointment I've encountered with the Delta 2 Max is the the two 2.5mm DC outputs max out at 3 amps, which isn't powerful enough to run my music server (it uses just over 3 amps when it boots up with its 10th-gen i5 chip), so I can't run the server directly with DC power. Also, not a disappointment but a qualifier -- you can't use "audiophile-sized" power cables with the Delta 2 Max because EcoFlow doesn't space out the AC outlets enough to allow room for them, so you have to choose between regular-sized power cables or using a power distributor/power strip to connect your components to the EcoFlow.

I don't know how EcoFlow's River series performs in comparison. Those are lower power devices and they may be better suited to a headphone-based system. I'd advise you to do some research and make sure they have relatively efficient inverters that can maintain a smooth sine wave under whatever power demands you're going to make of them.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #19 of 25
I'm wondering how this battery-based device would fare against something like our PowerStation, or any other power conditioner. I look forward to your impressions :)
There's no comparison. In my two-channel system, the PowerStation's active power conditioning makes the sound "sharper" (meaning accentuated treble and transients) at the same time it creates a blacker background. The "sharpening" effect is even more pronounced if I connect the PowerStation to the wall with the active power conditioning SupaNova cable. In contrast, the EcoFlow gives me a blacker background without altering the sound of my system.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #20 of 25
I don't know how EcoFlow's River series performs in comparison. Those are lower power devices and they may be better suited to a headphone-based system. I'd advise you to do some research and make sure they have relatively efficient inverters that can maintain a smooth sine wave under whatever power demands you're going to make of them.

Thanks for sharing. I'm mostly looking to battery-power my headphone system (which is probably why I had the River product line on the brain). I've heard the iFi nano iDSD on battery and I'm sold on the concept in general.

I think putting the whole hifi rack on a battery would be VERY interesting.

Oct 27, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #21 of 25
Anyone using a portable power station to power their desktop rigs?

I live in an old pre war New York City apartment building with questionable wiring. I also have a very limited number outlets, so my audio equipment is sharing a surge protector with my tv, ps5, Apple TV, and a sound bar. The other plug of the same outlet runs my Fios modem and cable, a switch, router, and a Roon core, so plenty of noise.

I was initially looking at power conditioners, but that wouldn’t help with the lack of outlets. That lead me to looking at running the audio off of battery power.

My setup is pretty simple, just two components. A Burson Conductor 3XR(3A Super Charger) and an iFi Stream (15v Sbooster) and that’s it.

Are there potential pitfalls going with the battery? I can’t imagine it being much worse than what I’m currently dealing with. I don’t think unplugging the battery when listening to music and plugging it back in would be to much of an inconvenience of portable power station. Also would be a pretty cool appliance to have around for other use cases.

Sorry if this has been brought up before. I know some people are using them, but couldn’t find much info.
One-off my sons is looking at these for him to have with him whilst out and about in the van which he is making into a very basic day van for the odd picnic and perhaps night away. I haven’t come across them before, but has anyone got any words of wisdom regarding these? Please.

Jan 4, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #22 of 25
My little EcoFlow River conked out after 5 years. I took the plunge and purchased an EcoFlow Delta 2 Max LiFePo power station last night from EcoFlow's website during their Prime Day sale ($200 off + 8% off coupon code). It's the best price I've seen on this particular unit. I think this is a better investment than any more power conditioning equipment.

It's a chonky device, weighing in at 50 pounds. As it comes with 2048 Wh of capacity, it's probably overkill for my intended use. I plan to run everything in my hifi system but the amps off its battery power. In addition to six AC outlets, it has two 12-volt 3A DC outlets to power my endpoint and router. It has enough juice to be a backup generator during blackouts, as well.

sec18_1.ec4287db.pngc8d5de29-7b70-52ca-b232-68f3bc2ca875.jpeg
Bumping an old thread.....

@dcguy73 have you had a chance to use this in your headphone rig yet? Wondering how much listening time you get off of a charge. Also, curious as to why you don't use your amps off of this beast?

Jan 4, 2024 at 6:59 PM Post #23 of 25
One-off my sons is looking at these for him to have with him whilst out and about in the van which he is making into a very basic day van for the odd picnic and perhaps night away. I haven’t come across them before, but has anyone got any words of wisdom regarding these? Please.

That sounds like such a good time.

I think you can get by with a heavy-duty 12V LiFePO₄ Battery, A wall charger or Solar Power and an Inverter. You can contact the linked company as they seem to have robust sales support. I have never done a major Van or Home Project, just Audio Projects. My preference is pure Ultracapacitors not Battery for Pure Audio Bliss as it is like plugging directly into a Nuclear Power Plant (Super Clean). But that's a different use case.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/product/blue-smart-ip65-charger-12-15/

solar.png

https://battlebornbatteries.com/shop/products/solar-panels/

Just plug in the Heavy Duty 12V Battery on the DC Side and a power strip on the AC Side:

AC.png

https://battlebornbatteries.com/product/morningstar-professional-series-suresine-120v-inverters/

For Van Kits:

Kit.png

https://battlebornbatteries.com/learn/applications/van-life/

But if it's just day or overnight trips, a non-kit should be fine with just charging at home on the wall outlet.

For the New York Flat / Apartment (THREAD_STARTER), you can keep it simple too with just a Battery, Charger and Inverter or a Van Kit or a whole Residential Kit:

flat.png

https://battlebornbatteries.com/shop/applications/off-grid-residential/

https://battlebornbatteries.com/learn/applications/off-grid/

It's easy to incrementally scale 12V Batteries as needed. Start off with one, need to double the Amp Hours just add another one. Scaling is unlimited. Easy Peasy.

Good luck. I don't have any energy to follow any threads the first half of 2024, so just throwing out another option.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 10:31 PM Post #24 of 25
Hmmm I have a 2000w EGO power station with quite a few batteries. I will have to plug my entire 2 channel setup into it and see if there is a change.

Jan 6, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #25 of 25
Sounds fun. I ain't gettin' dragged into following any threads as I need to re-charge and ful-fill NY Resolutions, but I do take great interests in anything Passive Power.

Since I try to be disciplined and read-only on this site once every few months, I stumbled upon something related on another site where I usually only focus on only well-mastered Redbook not hardware:

Portable Power Station for stereo use...Wow!

There's only 2 outlets on the Yeti so I plugged my linestage directly into the unit and a 3 to 1 adapter into the other. I'm plugging in the Node and DAC into the adapter but when it's time for records, I'll unplug the adapter from the unit and connect the phono pre directly. I decided to stream a few tracks from Tidal to start and could immediately notice larger stage height and width. After that I decided to play some CD rips from my hard drive connected to the Node and it continued for 4 more hours! I couldn't pull myself away and listen to any records, I was having too much fun. The stage height and width differences were still there, but there was more to it, the focus feels like it's been increased so it's easier to hear/follow instruments. Vocals are more distinct and lifelike, it's really awesome!

But of course, it's always YMMV.

I just don't like being a slave to the Power Company and having the Power Company dictate my listening experience.

For I, I'm the only one in the world Gaming with Soundstage Depth as I'm one of the few with the best native 5V Ultracapacitor Passive Powering a USB optical cable Off Mains. It took six weeks of Brain burn-in to happen. It wasn't a set goal, but it happened naturally because once you reduce or kill off the tiniest of anomalies in Noise Floor Modulation it let's SQ attributes of the DAC shine as your Brain no longer registers those anomalies as a thing.

So I recommend to give it time. At first, it's just lower noise and quieter but over time you may notice other SQ attributes. When someone mentions they can'ts be pulled away, it's because Passive Power is much less fatiguing so it's good for Ear Health too not just SQ reasons.

Very old post before Modern Battery Tech:

You may be nuts, but not for this reasoning.
:D

I agree that every dc power supply in any audio amplifier strives to be a battery. A battery is a virtually perfect power supply except for one problem. They lose their charge.

I've mentioned this many times here, but once I was at a studio doing a string date and the power supply of our large Helios console went down. I sent somebody to Pep Boys for some car batteries and lashed them up to power the console. The session came off and the console never sounded better.

Why no all-battery-power-option audio systems?

But lead-acid Batteries make no sense anymore with LiFePO₄ and Ultracapacitors that are on-demand dynamic with almost zero impedance. But powering a device directly or indirectly via a inverter will differ. It depends on the use case if you just want Off Mains or you want Off Mains + Peak Performance. A New York apartment with a high variance in Mains quality or if you are scuba diving on a remote island and want to come back to quality audio, just getting Off Mains is good enough. If your device is designed to accept quality DC or designed with Passive Power in mind then Peak Performance can be a use case.

I'm just thinking what sort of Off Mains Passive Power setup Zuck is building in that $300million dollar bunker in Hawaii that's being built. Only thing I'm sure about is the Audio will be well Passive Powered and the Audio SQ is not determined by the Power Company. But for the Apartment and Van use cases, there's a different path besides AliExpress solutions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back