Portable Speakers for Travel?
Jul 19, 2006 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

dcguy73

Formerly known as dc_guy
Does anyone have suggestions for good portable speakers for other DAPs than the iPod? In other words, portable speakers with a line-in jack without an iPod dock. I am trying to find a good set for travel purposes.

My draft list of candidates (from reading through the forum)

1. Altec Lansing im-4
2. JBL On Tour
3. Think Outside Boomtube H201
4. Sonic Impact Gen3 portable speakers
5. Klipsch Pro Media Ultra 2.0
6. Sakar International iConcepts
7. Logitech mm22
8. Saitech A-200
9. Sony SRS-T70

Price is not an issue as much as portability is.

Thanks!

Thanks!!!

Jul 19, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 30
i think the klipsch will sound the best but, i don't really think they are portable. these things are huge (8-10" tall and about 6" deep). they are also heavy.

Jul 20, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 30
Not on your list (but should be IMO):

Creative Travelsound

Operates with 4 (I think AA, but may be AAA) batteries, and I think you Americans can even get it with the Power Adaptor. It won't fill a hall with good sound (but neither will any "portable" speaker), but sounds great for an office, kitchen, hotel room, small BBQ, etc.

Check out the Creative Site for stats, etc.

pauls

Jul 20, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 30
+1 for the travelsounds. used to have it but my friend liked it so i gave it to her. i think compusa still has them.

Jul 20, 2006 at 7:19 AM Post #7 of 30
Another vote for the Creative TravelSounds. Great sounding speakers and I've received nothing but compliments from people who have heard them. I just spent two weeks in Hawaii and the Travelsounds worked well in the hotel room, on the balcony and at th beach. I've also used them in many other environments including camping and on a boat and they always work great.

J and R have them on sale for $29.99.

CREATIVE LABS Travelsound 200 Speaker System

cool.gif

Jul 20, 2006 at 10:35 AM Post #9 of 30
Richardcory:

Did you try to return your defective JBK On-Tour?

Jul 20, 2006 at 10:38 AM Post #10 of 30
Andy80F:

How's the bass with the Saitek a200? Have you taken them with you on trips? Are they pretty durable?

Thanks

--Marc

-----------------
Have and can recommend these.

Andy

Jul 20, 2006 at 10:40 AM Post #11 of 30
Thanks for the info. I will check out the Travelsounds.

Jul 20, 2006 at 10:45 AM Post #12 of 30
Hmmm...you know, I think I read somewhere that there are some ipod-intended speakers (Altec im3s, for example) hat allow you to cover the dock and seat your player in the cradle where the iPod would have been.

That would be cool -- though not necessary -- to have a dock/slot for the player in the amp... (without charging the batteries or communicating to the computer, as the iPod docks do)

Jul 20, 2006 at 12:55 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by dc_guy
How's the bass with the Saitek a200? Have you taken them with you on trips? Are they pretty durable?

The bass is better than I have heard from other small speaker set-ups, not strong enough to feel but at least it can be heard. I found, when looking for speakers, that small travel speakers ted to ignore bass but with the Saitek at least you know bass is there but I won't pretend it's strong enough to shake the windows. The Saitek does however respond especially well to music that has been recorded well when the sound can be surprisingly well presented without the tinnyness I'd come to expect with the other travel speakers I've had.

The supplied case is slightly padded with some sort of gel type material and gives good protection and the speaker itself seems really solidly built with no flex in the plastics. The finish has a deep shine that highlights fingerprints but looks great (and you get a free polishing cloth to wipe it with)

Downsides are that it takes AAA bateries when AA would be more convenient though they do last for ages (24 hours apparantly) and the unit came with an external power supply.

Whilst I don't think you can expect too much for travel speakers the Saitek do seem a little better than others in the same price range (about £55 in the UK), and much better than the more expensive JBL on-tour (which were only heard in a shop) and I would recommend them.

Andy

Jul 20, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #14 of 30
Having owned computer/portable speakers from both Creative and Altec, I'd have a hard time believing that the little creative travelsound can keep up with the Altec IM4. Especially this new range of small, weak-power speakers from Altec, starting with the XT1, sound remarkably good and have relatively high build quality. The price difference between the Creatives and the Altecs is considerable, yes, but dc_guy mentioned that this is not a big issue for him.

Surely any decent electronics store will have several of these options for display testing, though. Perhaps a self-test is the best option?

Jul 20, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega
Surely any decent electronics store will have several of these options for display testing, though. Perhaps a self-test is the best option?

As you are shopping around, you can see that many of the speakers listed in the original post are available at Circuit City, Best Buy, and Radio Shack. However, they are on-line only.

I have just bought some JBL On Tour PLus' from Amazon. They seemed to be the best (for my needs), prior to reading this thread!
frown.gif
(maybe they fixed some of the problems with this newest model)

DC Guy,

You stated portability was #1 priority. Will you be taking these on a plane, or in a car? Will they need to play for a hotel room, small cottage, or campsite?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back