Position on burning in headphones
Feb 25, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 42
It exists, but it's not as severe as some make it out to be.

Out of the box, the drivers in your headphones are going to be a little stiff. It's a product that relies on smooth motion, so it's going to take a little for the spider and cones of the speakers to loosen up properly, and that's something that can take a couple days. For giant subwoofers it can be longer because, well, they're giant subwoofers so they have a lot more to loosen. For headphones, if you listen for a couple hours a day, I'd say within a week they should be up to full strength.

No idea how this applies to planar magnetic phones, it might not at all. Just dynamic drivers in this case.

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 42
They should be burned in already. I like to use pink noise from http://simplynoise.com/. I doubt it would make a difference now, but it can't hurt.

I don't know what would account for the inconsistency. (There are many factors, psychological and environmental.)

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #10 of 42
I think it exists, like SomeGuyDude says, but it's not as severe as some make it out to be. I've tried burn in on a few of my new sets of headphones, and not once did I hear an audible difference. That's just me though. In fact, I've been reading about the HD280 needing tons of burn in, and I remember years back when I tried burning them in. I put them in a drawer and let them play for about two weeks straight, and I never noticed a difference. Obviously this is just my personal experience though, others are quite different.

Another thing to remember is our ears getting accustomed to the sound. When I first put a headphone on for the day, it will take me awhile to 'fall into' the sound of that particular unit. I think it's a combination of the earpads forming to our ears and our ears and heads getting used to having a headphone in place. There might be other variables too, though.

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #12 of 42
  Are they that bad sounding before burn-in?

No, they shouldn't sound bad out of the box. I've heard considerable differences in bass; did less than I hoped for treble.

I don't believe that it's a matter of becoming accustomed to the sound, at least not in my case, as I tend to listen fairly little till after burn in: I listen immediately for half an hour to an hour--who can resist and why not--then start burning in, listening a little here and there till I figure they're probably done.

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #14 of 42
Just making a silly observation on the unimportance of burn-in prior to listening 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back