Post pics of your builds....
Feb 22, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #8,506 of 9,811

Quote:
I don't really post much on head-fi, but I thought I would share my first build(s).

M Cubed:

I'm loving the pairing of the M cubed with my HD580s. Thanks for the great work AMB. I've also been pretty impressed with the grubDAC.

That is a VERY beautiful chassis. Nice job!

Feb 23, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #8,507 of 9,811

One channel of my Project Phono box SE II suddely stupped working, i opened it and found a pcb half the size of the whole enclosure stuffed with all smd components, nothing easily serviceable, so i decided to build something new and went for an Hagerman Bugle.

I tried to fit both the power supply and the amplifier board into the old Project enclosure ( which is of pretty high quality ) but it turned out to be a mess so i reached for a cheap plastic box i had at hand to fit the power supply. It will be located out of my sight so the looks don't matter much.

The amplifier board fit perfectly into the project box, no holes to drill, as the Phono Box already implemented the possibility to supply external dual DC power ( for battery operation i think ) via a din connector; not the best choiche, i think, but since it's a low current device, it should to its job. Decent quality Rean rca plugs fit in place of the old pcb mounted connectors.

Panasonic polypropylene caps are used for the filter section, and two wima MKS for supply decoupling, i didn't use costly resistors, just standard 1% tolerance metal film. I went for three LM4562, as i never tried them before but i've read good impressions here and there, and i have to say they sound pretty good; compared with the Phono Box SE i think i've seen quite an improvement in sound quality, even if the project was a decent design:16V AC wallwart feeding a voltage doubler and a pair of  Lm337/317 regulators to provide full +/- 15V to some Jrc opamps implemented in a dual mono circuitry.

Compared to the TCC-750 i was using as a temporary replacement it's a huge step-up, the TC is rather good, but with its cheap switching power supply and crappy electrolytics in the signal path it can't do any better than the bugle even being a discrete design rather than opamp based, not that in general discrete circuitry is automatically supposed to sound better than well implemented opamps...

The enclosure looks pretty good doesn't it ? The brushed aluminum front plate is 3-4mm thick and the chassis is rather heavy and sturdy..

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #8,508 of 9,811
I've been designing and building amps for around 2.5 years now and would love to share some of my stuff but I'm new to this forum, could anyone tell me how to link the photos in my albums in the user profile to this thread?

For now, you can see my stuff on my profile page and lists...

Feb 24, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #8,509 of 9,811
I've been designing and building amps for around 2.5 years now and would love to share some of my stuff but I'm new to this forum, could anyone tell me how to link the photos in my albums in the user profile to this thread?

If you have a lot of images I suggest uploading them to imgur. You can then link these files to the forum using
Code:
 [url=URLOfWebsiteGoesHere] Text to display [/url]
tags, or click the hyperlink button in the toolbar you see above the post editor when replying to a thread (not 'quick reply').

Alternatively, if you just want to show the images use the image button in the toolbar. It shows a fairly straightforward interface helping you to upload the images.

Feb 25, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #8,511 of 9,811

Quote:
Quote:

If you have a lot of images I suggest uploading them to imgur. You can then link these files to the forum using Code:
Code:
 [URL=URLOfWebsiteGoesHere] Text to display [/URL]
tags, or click the hyperlink button in the toolbar you see above the post editor when replying to a thread (not 'quick reply').

Alternatively, if you just want to show the images use the image button in the toolbar. It shows a fairly straightforward interface helping you to upload the images.

Thanks for the advice, but i was wondering if i could just link the photos in my albums directly to the thread instead of re-uploading them, cuz theres quite a lot of stuff.
Nice DP by the way, Mio + K701 lol

Feb 26, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #8,512 of 9,811

Quote:
Very modest by this thread's standards, but here's my O2.  It'll probably be getting a new/nicer case in the near future.  This one was 100% diy from scrap aluminum.

I like styles like this, neat and clean, nothing fancy but still looks beautiful at the same time.

Mar 4, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #8,513 of 9,811

Quote:

This question is directed at everybody, not just one person. If you look in that picture, the connector that the wires plug into in the upper (smaller) board that's green, yea, where can I find that? Preferably a Digi-key part number or something. Actually, I'd be satisfied with just the name of it so I can go look them up. I've been searching and searching and I just can't figure out what exactly it is!

Mar 4, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #8,514 of 9,811
Like this?
http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1868168-term-block-3pos-5-08mm-pcb-horiz-20020316-h031b01lf.html

Or here:
http://portal.fciconnect.com/res/en/pdffiles/doc_search/20020316.pdf

Mar 4, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #8,515 of 9,811

Quote:
Like this?
http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1868168-term-block-3pos-5-08mm-pcb-horiz-20020316-h031b01lf.html

Or here:
http://portal.fciconnect.com/res/en/pdffiles/doc_search/20020316.pdf

Yep, that's what I was looking for. Thanks a lot!

Mar 5, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #8,516 of 9,811
This is the result of my DIY efforts over the last 6 months. From Ground up.

1. Gaincard Clone
2. Classic EHHA Headphone Amplifier with AMB labs Sigma 32 Supply and Tube on Delay Circuit.
3. Mauro Penasa MyRef Rev E Power Amplifier
4. Quad Wolfson WM8740 DAC
5. Pass B1 Preamplifier with Lightspeed Attenuator & R-core/LM Based Regulated power supply
6. Cirrus Logic Based Dolby Digital / DTS Decoder for a Headless Logitech Z5500.
7. Modded Discrete Norge Amplifier
8. Tube buffer pre to add the necessary tube sound whenever required.

Also in the picture are the FiiO E7 E9 Combo

Mar 5, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #8,517 of 9,811
lol.. you've been err busy. 
biggrin.gif

Quite an impressive stack of components. Congrats!

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #8,519 of 9,811
wow that is some nice stack of work Audiodoc. I like those bottom larger cases, or faceplates rather. 

-m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back