Post your computer specs!~
Nov 24, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #2,956 of 3,098
These days the liquid coolers are kind of a prerequisite. They're so cheap that it doesn't make sense not to get it.

I have it setup to suck in air from the front. Had to remove the fans and relocate them because it wouldn't fit without the support bracket being in the middle.

I guess I could have mounted it on top but it would have a better airflow from the front.

Thats pretty much how I apply the thermal paste but not that much lol. Thats quite alot and wasteful, just need a thin layer.
Wait, I thought it was to radiate heat from the water that's being circulated? In your case, I see why it's built that way (without system fans mounted), you do not use a dedicated GPU, so you just need to cool the processor only. I would still add some systems fans incase your internals starts to heat up. If you have a GPU inside, system fans are a requirement.

I don't think it really matter font or top for better airflow, but heat radiate upward. Reason why AIO is usually mounted up top is because of system fans occupy the front panel, but also it's best to level the water of the hose when mounted up top (to move the air out of near the CPU, because it will insulate).

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #2,957 of 3,098
Wait, I thought it was to radiate heat from the water that's being circulated? In your case, I see why it's built that way (without system fans mounted), you do not use a dedicated GPU, so you just need to cool the processor only. I would still add some systems fans incase your internals starts to heat up. If you have a GPU inside, system fans are a requirement.

I don't think it really matter font or back for better airflow, but heat radiate upward. Reason why AIO is usually mounted up top is because of system fans occupy the front panel, but also it's best to level the water of the hose when mounted up top.
Nah doesn't need any more fans. Its already operating at about 25-30 C. Its going to take alot for it to overheat.

The reason I put the cooler in front is because I want it using the fan power to suck in air, even without additional fans to suck the air out, it will passively radiate through the top. Probably not making a huge difference but I'd rather have passive exhaust than passive intake.

There'll be less load on the pump if its mounted up top but as I said this is being used as a POS station, it'll never see any kind of significant load to create real heat.

Nov 24, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #2,958 of 3,098
Nah doesn't need any more fans. Its already operating at about 25-30 C. Its going to take alot for it to overheat.

The reason I put the cooler in front is because I want it using the fan power to suck in air, even without additional fans to suck the air out, it will passively radiate through the top. Probably not making a huge difference but I'd rather have passive exhaust than passive intake.

There'll be less load on the pump if its mounted up top but as I said this is being used as a POS station, it'll never see any kind of significant load to create real heat.
Let me know what wattage it peaks at and what temp max. On Cinebench R23

Nov 24, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #2,960 of 3,098

You're not sucking in air, but radiating heat through the radiator with the fan increasing the rate of radiation and the pushing to the outward direction. I don't see any fan besides the AIO, all you're doing is radiating heat from your CPU via the fluid inside circulating to the radiator. I wonder if inside could still get heat up somehow (during high CPU loads).

It's like a car radiator.

But yeah, AIO is a good solution to release that high heat from the i9. You want to test your PC on what it does high performance, otherwise, what is the point of using such high level CPU? Performance parts are used for performance.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #2,961 of 3,098
You're not sucking in air, but radiating heat through the radiator with the fan increasing the rate of radiation and the pushing to the outward direction. I don't see any fan besides the AIO, all you're doing is radiating heat from your CPU via the fluid inside circulating to the radiator. I wonder if inside could still get heat up somehow (during high CPU loads).

It's like a car radiator.

But yeah, AIO is a good solution to release that high heat from the i9. You want to test your PC on what it does high performance, otherwise, what is the point of using such high level CPU? Performance parts are used for performance.
The radiator works the same like in a car, water to air cooling. Air passes through it, vents out through the rear chassis fan and passively through the top.

The purpose of using high performance parts is that, over time as software use more resources, the cpu will be able to handle the loads. Basically for longevity not performance. 5 years down the road, the PC won't be outdated where it can't handle new software requirements.

Its called planned obsolescence.

Nov 24, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #2,962 of 3,098
i9-13900K
64GB DDR5-6000CL30
Intel Optane P5800X
3x 4TB Corsair MP600 Pro LPX
NVIDIA RTX 4090
1200W Corsair HX1200

Using a 48" OLED as my primary display.

Nov 24, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #2,963 of 3,098
Wow, only $35! I'm definately replacing my MSI stock fan.

253W! Not that I want to use that much power, but it shows it cools well at such high wattage load.

I just installed this fan, and it's definately cooler. Doesn't throttle on Cinebench R23 anymore, and only goes up to 88C at 210W. But, my 12700KF score is still significantly lower, in the 20000. I'm missing 2000. lol It should be around 22000. What's going on? Maybe my bios setting isn't set to push the CPU?

Edit: Now the Wild Hearts game only pushes up to 74C, and before it was trottling and would go all the way up to 99C! What an improvement!

Not bad for $35 fan and MX4 thermal paste!

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #2,964 of 3,098
i9-13900K
64GB DDR5-6000CL30
Intel Optane P5800X
3x 4TB Corsair MP600 Pro LPX
NVIDIA RTX 4090
1200W Corsair HX1200

Using a 48" OLED as my primary display.
That's a pretty hardcore rig. Just out of curiosity, what are you using that machine for?

Nov 25, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #2,965 of 3,098
Hyalo.

14900k overclocked
Asus Rog Strix Z790i Gaming
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW Ultra overclocked
Corsair Dominator 32gb DDR5 6000
Samsung 990 Pro 1tb
Cooler Master V1100
Meshlicious case
24tb storage

Used as HQ Player, Plex server and Sabnzbd, Sonarr duties.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #2,966 of 3,098
That's a pretty hardcore rig. Just out of curiosity, what are you using that machine for?
To be honest, just gaming at 4K 120Hz.

Nov 25, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #2,967 of 3,098
Wow, only $35! I'm definately replacing my MSI stock fan.

253W! Not that I want to use that much power, but it shows it cools well at such high wattage load.

Anyway guys, I had to go this route (buy a new cooler) because my MSI prebuilt overheats when pushed to the limit. I found out that there are a lot of refurbished units of MSI prebuilt similar to mine, which is a bad sign. I guess a lot of them got RMA or got returned due to thermal issues. I will never buy a pre-built again. My next PC will be built primarily with best cooling in mind, and will likely go AIO. This PC will hold over for a few years until I build a new one. I learned a lot during this drama with my pre-built.

When you watch Gamer Nexus, you know it doesn't matter how expensive these prebuilts are, they are generally built with poor cooling.

Anyway, that image of the Phantom at 91C at 253W is a better case scenario than mine. I pushed it to 253W, and it would shoot up to 99C. The chart does say constant fan speed. What I mean is, I got maximum of 99C (it throttled) at 253W, so this could be for a very tiny moment at peak.

In general, I did reduce my temp by 20+C, so not bad. Also, when I looked at the thermal paste on the stock cooler, it was spread evenly everywhere, but there was only thin layer. That could have been the issue. Maybe the reason why Jay says cake it on his vid.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #2,968 of 3,098
The year was 2022, my 10 year old PC (80 in tech years-- i7 3770K, ATI 7950, you get the picture) slowly gave into its stage 5 everything cancer, it was time for an upgrade... During the worst possible era to build a computer in recent history. I sent my old PC out to sea on a boat and lit it aflame as it ascended toward Valhalla and me to the computer store.

CPU: Intel 12700K

Heatsink: Lian Li Gallahad AIO

Fans: 8x Lian Li SL120 (Pro tip: buy 3M metal discs to stick to the backside stickers of the SL fans for a more premium look instead of those black stickers)

Mobo: MSI Tomahawk Z690

RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600 16GBx2

GPU: EVGA 3070TI FTW3 (At least it's a collector's item now)

Storage: 4.5TB of Samsung SSD/NVMe (Don't ask the config, it will make you sad)

Case: Lian Li O11 Mini Snow White

PSU: Corsair SF750

Display: Dell S3422DWG

Mandatory Ikea: Fejka w/ Gradvis

Behold, Betty White:

Betty White.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back