Potential for Fiio CLAS and Fostex HP-P1 competitor?
Feb 15, 2012 at 10:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mp29k

100+ Head-Fier
Fiio would have a genuine hit on their hands if they offered a CLAS competitor that came in significantly under the price (think ~ $200?) of the ALO Audio Cypher Lab Algorythm Solo.  This could be paired with the E11 for an awesome portable setup.  As an alternative suggestion, a premium LOD cable that has the apple coded decoding chip built in could probably be sold for north of $100.  

I don't know how much apple charges for rights to this information, I expect quite a lot, but given Fiio's current growth, and global distribution, as well as economies of scale, I bet that price point would work.

Maybe even an all in one device, the Fiio E27 for $300 would sell like absolute hot cakes.

Jun 23, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:
haha, maybe, but I think we can expect a extra DAC/AMP support android phone early before extra DAC/AMP which support iPhone/iPod

Thank you! There are already 2 excellent 32bit DAC/Amps for Apple devices whilst there is a massive gap in the market for something similar for Android unless one wants to spend a lot on the dx100 and be tied to using that as their DAP too.

Once usb audio is enabled for android, all the millions of android devices (some of which are extremely affordable) from many different manufacturers have the potential to replace stand alone PMPs and even compare with many desktop setups if paired with a premium quality portable DAC/Amp device. In theory the same device could conceivably work with Windows (and Linux?) too since some of the current usb dac/amps combo devices seem to work with both Windows and Android devices.

Anyway, thanks feiao for considering designing something like this for Android. I've seen you hinting at this in other threads too so hopefully something can come of it. I know it goes against the company policy of providing affordable high quality portable amps, however no one else seems to be looking into designing a portable DAC/Amp device for android which can provide a similar experience to the HP-P1 and CLAS.

Jun 25, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #5 of 17
You are welcome, we already decide to make a Android portable DAC , please feel free to share with us if you have any suggestion or special demand for it.

For iDAC for iPhone, we applied the licence to Apple in 3 years ago, I don't think they will approve us so we give up now, it is a shames because they can't trust us, very few Chinese company and get the licence.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 25, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #6 of 17
Thanks for the response. This is just me perhaps and I'd be interested to hear if anyone else in interested. However I would love to one day have a portable DAC/Amp incorporating the ES9018 DAC. Be nice for enthusiasts to use their own android phones, tablets etc (and those devices running other OS like windows/linux?) with a high end portable dac/amp combo.

The inputs and outputs for the E17 are fantastic so if it's similar to that, I don't see what anyone else could want in terms of connection options but feel free to chime in. As mentioned, compatibility with android, windows and linux would be amazing so it would be an all-in-one solution to people's digital music needs.

Of course, this will no doubt be delayed until Google officially support digital audio out via usb?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs-how-to-increase-the-issues-priority-with-google
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24614&sort=-stars&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20Stars

Jun 25, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #7 of 17
That would be expensive to put a ES0918 DAC chip for the upcoming DAC for Android Devices. Even wolfson chips are OK, or maybe use dual wolfson like the one in T51 @ feiao?

Jun 26, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #9 of 17
^Right thanks both of you for explaining the realities of the situation. I thought maybe it could be powered by a battery (I've seen another portable device using the chip). Also, my main interest in the ES9018 is that I wanted something which is a desktop replacement. e.g. Since I already have a desktop setup utilising dual WM8740s, I was hoping to save up for a high end portable DAC/Amp which surpasses that. I know that there are certain portable setups which do surpass it, however they are either geared towards iOS portable use or force one to use the device as a source rather than letting people use their own tablets, portable smart devices, netbooks etc.

Hopefully the technology will make this realistic in a couple of years such as more energy efficient high end dac chips, slimmer high capacity batteries which have enough volts to power it etc. Apologies if my tech knowledge is somewhat lacking, I've still got a lot to learn

Jun 28, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #12 of 17
^Yes but how many people have a portable dac/amp combo device which offers high end quality like the CLAS/HP-P1 but not tied to Apple or priced out of people's means? Also, whilst I accept that a LOT of people have portable amps, I've not seen so many people with portable dac/amp devices. Although I've seen A LOT of people using the E17 lately though due to it being affordable and pretty great quality, it's not in the same league as CLAS/HP-P1, hence the gap which should be filled (although ideally not just tied to Apple devices). dx100 without the DAP element would pretty much be a non Apple version of the CLAS/HP-P1 (from the specs).

Jun 28, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #13 of 17
Well, headamp's pico comes to mind, as well as JH Audio's JH-3A.

Quote:
^Yes but how many people have a portable dac/amp combo device which offers high end quality like the CLAS/HP-P1 but not tied to Apple or priced out of people's means? Also, whilst I accept that a LOT of people have portable amps, I've not seen so many people with portable dac/amp devices. Although I've seen A LOT of people using the E17 lately though due to it being affordable and pretty great quality, it's not in the same league as CLAS/HP-P1, hence the gap which should be filled (although ideally not just tied to Apple devices). dx100 without the DAP element would pretty much be a non Apple version of the CLAS/HP-P1 (from the specs).

Jun 28, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #15 of 17
Perhaps I added confusion to this thread; what I meant to say is "while at it, how about a simple something to get USB audio out of an iDevice". I wasn't trying to invalidate the need for a lower cost alternative to CLAS, but rather a simple and cheap solution for those of us who already have a portable DAC and amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back