Power question
May 31, 2014 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Allanmarcus

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello. I use an old Yamaha AV Receiver (HTR-5550) for my desktop amp. It powers some DefTech bookshelf monitors and my DT-770-80 headphones. The headphone amp in the receiver is starting to die, so I'm looking for alternatives. My ears aren't that great, so I'm not all that picky.

I also have a Olympus FiiO E10. I have by computer connected to the FiiO via USB, and when I listen with my beyers connected to the FiiO (all computer volumes maxed), I can turn the FiiO all the way up and the sound is loud, but for some situations I want it a little louder. When I use the Yamaha, the headphone volume goes as loud as I can stand it, and way louder. I never turn the yamaha up past about 2/3 of it's capacity. The Yamaha is connected via coax from the FiiO 

So, I was looking at upgrading to a Teac AH01. Totally meets my needs:

1. Analog in for my TV
  2. USB in for my Mac
  3. a second analog in for my FiiO wit a crossfeed adapter
  4. Speaker amp for my DefTecs
  5. Headphone out for my Beyers.
  6. Sub out for my DefTEch sub
  7. Much smaller than my Yamaha, thus free space.

Here's the rub. The Teac is rated: 50mW + 50mW (32 ohms loaded)
The FiiO, which (very rarely) is not loud enough is rated: > 150 mW@32Ω 

I could step up to a NAD D 3020, but that extra $200 could be used elsewhere. I was hoping the Teac would meet my needs.

To my untrained eyes the FiiO puts out more power at the same ohms than the Teac. That implies to me that the Teac headphones just wont get that loud. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Allan

May 31, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #2 of 4
Audio-GD NFB-15 external DAC/Head amp.
If ordered before June first, price is $255+shipping, starting June 1st. price will be $270+shipping
Comes with USB, optical & coaxial inputs.
Dual WM8741 DAC chips.
Will easily drive the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm headphones and just about any headphone you buy in the future
Comes with a separate line-output that can connect to your Yamaha, which will improve the sound of your desktop speakers.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

I have the slightly older NFB-15.32 model.

May 31, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #3 of 4
Audio-GD NFB-15 external DAC/Head amp.
If ordered before June first, price is $255+shipping, starting June 1st. price will be $270+shipping
Comes with USB, optical & coaxial inputs.
Dual WM8741 DAC chips.
Will easily drive the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm headphones and just about any headphone you buy in the future
Comes with a separate line-output that can connect to your Yamaha, which will improve the sound of your desktop speakers.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

I have the slightly older NFB-15.32 model.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm actually trying to replace the yamaha because it takes up so much desk space. That is why I want an integrated system. If I get the system you suggest, I would also need to get a desktop amp, and now we are talking about a total getting into the range of buying the NAD d 3020. There doesnt seem to be any shortage of headphone amp/DACs in the 200-300 range.

Every review of the teac I've read is glowing, except for the remote, which I don't care about. I just haven't read any reviews of the headphone capability of the teac. I have to admit that my listening capabilities are not that refined, but I can tell if the cans aren't loud enough. That is why I'm asking about the power output of the teac.

May 31, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #4 of 4
DOH! I completely forgot about the Gain setting on the E10! With the gain setting to high, the amp is plenty loud. I can happily use the E10, although I lose the ability for crossfeed. Oh well, I didn't use it that much. (crossfeed adapter needs to be between the source and amp, and E10 only has digital sources)

I'm still curious about the power question I posed in the original post, if anyone can help. If worse come to worse, I can hopefully hear the teac at the RM AudioFest, and if not there, I can just buy one from Amazon, try it, and return it if I do't like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back