Practical Advice Needed - Amp/DAC & Audio Class Differences
Aug 24, 2015 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Ksweene5

100+ Head-Fier
Hello HeadFi - 

My issue is this - 

Most of my listening (80% I'd say) is done at work, on a work computer, where I likely don't have the ability to install a driver for an external Amp/DAC. Almost all of this listening is via Spotify paid HQ streams. I had been planning on buying a portable Amp/DAC to maximize my use of the device, I also listen on via my phone (Android)  to various high quality formats. I am sure some of my HQ albums are higher than 24/96. 

My work computer is a Windows 7 laptop, so only Audio Class 1 will plug-and-play. I had the JDS Labs C5D near the top of my potential buys, and am leaning that way due to the fact that it's listed as a Audio Class 1 and will work plug-and-play. I am in the $300 or down (ish) rage to buy (iBasso Bushmaster, Oppo HA-2, maybe even up to a Ray Samuels). 

My questions - 

- Am I sacrificing minimal quality improvements to my work listening, at the expense of my listening to HQ audio I own?
      - Would I be better off using just an amp at work, and then having a more versatile DAC? (Even if that is a combo and I'm                            bypassing the DAC in the office). 

- What would I be giving up in terms of file compatibility? Am I going to have files that won't work with the C5D?

- Any other comments or rec's are appreciated. 

TIA

Aug 25, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #2 of 5
The most important thing is that the headphone amp driver your headphones. So difficult for anyone to advise you without saying what headphones you plan to use with it.

- Would I be better off using just an amp at work, and then having a more versatile DAC? (Even if that is a combo and I'm                            bypassing the DAC in the office). 

Not sure what you mean by this. Are talking about buying a separate DAC+headphone amp for at home?

What would I be giving up in terms of file compatibility? Am I going to have files that won't work with the C5D?

Giving up vs. what?

If your media player can play the files, then the DAC can play it. Well, except for the new DSD audio standard that higher priced DACs can access. But that's not really worth investing money into, IMO.

Aug 26, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 5
Eventually I intend to have non portable setup at home, until then the amp/dac I choose will be got home and work.

I was curious about the compatibility as my reading led me to believe an Audio Class 1 dac would only be able to play 24/96 files. To use a dac at work I need it to be true plug-n-play; were that to mean I would give up some versatility with the dac (or notice little improvement for streaming music) I might opt for just an amp at the office.

I really appreciate the insights

Aug 26, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 5
As someone else mentioned,  it would be helpful to know what headphones your using. 

Have you considered the Audioquest Dragonfly?  It's a nice little DAC/AMP and should work for you fine.   I saw a used one the other day for $75.

I used one at work for a couple of years before I retired.   At times I would pair it with a beefier amp,  depending on which headphones I was wanting to use.   I have a Bravo V2 tube amp and an O2 solid state,  among several others,  that took up little desk space and performed well. 

Your budget would alow for a Dragonfly (no desk footprint by the way)  and you'd have money for a an AMP later,  if you desired a different flavor to your sound. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back