price quote discrepancies
May 26, 2004 at 11:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

taoster

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been trying different speakers for months and finally decided on a pair of bookshelves. After a month I decided it doesn't suit my needs and wanted to upgrade to a better model, a floorstander. The owner sells his speakers direct, and I was quoted a price for the floorstander more than the general price he quotes to everybody else for the same speaker, despite the fact I purchased the bookshelves from him before!(i know because a friend told me the price he quoted to him when he enquired via an email out of curiosity).

This really annoys me... why am i quoted a higher price for the same floorstander than other random web enquirer. It's enough to put me off his speakers despite finally deciding on it after a few month.

what should i do?
confused.gif

May 26, 2004 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by taoster
I have been trying different speakers for months and finally decided on a pair of bookshelves. After a month I decided it doesn't suit my needs and wanted to upgrade to a better model, a floorstander. The owner sells his speakers direct, and I was quoted a price for the floorstander more than the general price he quotes to everybody else for the same speaker, despite the fact I purchased the bookshelves from him before!(i know because a friend told me the price he quoted to him when he enquired via an email out of curiosity).

This really annoys me... why am i quoted a higher price for the same floorstander than other random web enquirer. It's enough to put me off his speakers despite finally deciding on it after a few month.

what should i do?
confused.gif

Hmm...that's not cool. I would casually ask if he'd made a mistake when quoting you the price as your friend had received a lower one. Chances are he'll probably agree that he did make a mistake and offer you the lower price, too; it's an easy escape route for him..
wink.gif

Ask your friend if he still has that email....

May 26, 2004 at 12:23 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
Hmm...that's not cool. I would casually ask if he'd made a mistake when quoting you the price as your friend had received a lower one. Chances are he'll probably agree that he did make a mistake and offer you the lower price, too; it's an easy escape route for him..
wink.gif

Ask your friend if he still has that email....

I've enquired whether there was a special running and i think he was smart enough to offer $100 off(same price as was quoted from my friend) but I am undecided if I still want to buy his speakers after this.

May 26, 2004 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 7
I wouldn't worry at all about what a seller says during negotiations. He wants as much of your money as he can get and you want to keep as much as you can. I make it a point never to mingle friendships or past dealings into my thought process. The price you pay at the end of the day is all that matters not how you get there. Also once a negotiation is over it is over, there should be no underlying resentment or hostility on either side.

May 26, 2004 at 2:05 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb
I wouldn't worry at all about what a seller says during negotiations. He wants as much of your money as he can get and you want to keep as much as you can. I make it a point never to mingle friendships or past dealings into my thought process. The price you pay at the end of the day is all that matters not how you get there. Also once a negotiation is over it is over, there should be no underlying resentment or hostility on either side.

True, but I know what taoster means. It does put your back up abit when you get a higher quote than the next person, especially if you're an existing customer; you rather hope that your customer status and the fact that you've already spent good money with that shop, will count for something..

I guess you should just drop your expectations of the shop a tad and coldly negotiate the best price you can. Just treat it as business is business and you won't find yourself so sensitive to the shopkeepers indiscrepencies..
wink.gif

May 26, 2004 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 7
It sounds like a normal business practice to me. It sounds like he started at a higher number and was leaving room to barter.

I wouldn't read anything into it. If he was trying to get an extra $100 he wouldn't have lowered the price $100 like he did. Sounds like he's trying to maximize his profits and doesn't keep such good track of how much he quotes people.

May 26, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #7 of 7
Ahh... The joys of price discrimination. I'd try to negotiate and get the best price. Don't take it personally. Of course, if this were a larger company, there might be Robinson-Patman Act issues. Yes.. yes.. Sue!! Sue!!

Sorry... I've been working too hard lately.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back