Problem regarding headphones: My left and right speakers play what the other should be playing
Oct 25, 2011 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Quado91

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

As the title suggests, I have a problem that I hope you can help me with.

Problem description:
My left and right speakers play what the other should be playing.

Notes: I used two different headphones and the problem is the same.

Thanks for taking the time to read this thread

Oct 25, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #2 of 23
You probably have the left out and right out from the source going into the right and left in on the amp.  Simply switch the L/R going into the amp and you should be good.

Example:
You are listening to a CD player.  It runs a left and right RCA cable into an amp's left and right inputs.  The left from the CD player is going into the right on the amp.  The same goes for the right from the CD player...it is plugged into the left on the amp.  Reversing this which corrects the problem should fix what you are hearing.

Did you conduct a left/right fade to make sure this is the case?  When you fade to the left channel the left speaker and left driver on the headphone should only be heard.

I guess it should be noted that it is possible you have the left speaker simply placed on the right side and the right speaker on the left side.  This of course does not explain why your headphones sound reversed, but it is also possible you are wearing those backwards, but I the probability of both of those things occurring is really low.

Oct 25, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #4 of 23

Quote:
You probably have the left out and right out from the source going into the right and left in on the amp.  Simply switch the L/R going into the amp and you should be good.

Example:
You are listening to a CD player.  It runs a left and right RCA cable into an amp's left and right inputs.  The left from the CD player is going into the right on the amp.  The same goes for the right from the CD player...it is plugged into the left on the amp.  Reversing this which corrects the problem should fix what you are hearing.

Did you conduct a left/right fade to make sure this is the case?  When you fade to the left channel the left speaker and left driver on the headphone should only be heard.

I guess it should be noted that it is possible you have the left speaker simply placed on the right side and the right speaker on the left side.  This of course does not explain why your headphones sound reversed, but it is also possible you are wearing those backwards, but I the probability of both of those things occurring is really low.

There is only one wire connected to my headphones and I am sure that I am wearing the headphone the right way.
Do you think there is another thing that causes this problem ?
Or can I just use a software that can adjust the sound output ?

Thank you sir for replying

Oct 25, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #5 of 23
Please describe exactly how you are listening to your music.

For example:
Foobar2000 ran into my m903 amp via USB then into the stereo out for headphones into a pair of DT990s.

Your example may be:
CD player via RCA connectors into a home receiver into speakers or through the stereo headphones jack.

Your setup is going to be the key unless you are using a PC and when you plugged your speakers in one at a time and you told the system that what you thought was the left channel was really the right.  If you are using a PC go and check your speakers setup.  You may have to reverse the process.  I had to do something like this with my first Logisys 4.1 system a while ago.

Oct 25, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #6 of 23

Quote:
Your setup is going to be the key unless you are using a PC and when you plugged your speakers in one at a time and you told the system that what you thought was the left channel was really the right.

Okey, first of all, I do not know so much about sound stuff, so please keep it simple for me :D

Here is how I am listening to music:
Using Windows Media player, while my headphone is connected throw the green plug behind the pc ( Audio jack - I do not have a separated sound card ) and its just ONE wire, there is no left and right wire. it plays music just fine, only problem is its reversed(Like I explained above). When I go to Realtek HD Audio Manager and go to speakers configurations and test the sound, when it shows that the left playing I hear my right one and vise versa.
Note: My headphones have no mic, not sure if this will help

I hope I explained the problem clearly, I am sorry if I lack the sufficient language skill.
Thank you again for your help sir.

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #7 of 23
http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_stereo.php

If the right cup goes on when you mouse over the left icon, then check your software settings. In some media player programs like VLC, you can use an effect called "Reverse Stereo". Disable this effect and it should be fine. I don't know if WMP has this feature but you can check. 

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 23

This is the likely culprit.  Dig around in the Realtek HR Audio settings and find "Reverse Stereo".

Quote:

If the right cup goes on when you mouse over the left icon, then check your software settings. In some media player programs like VLC, you can use an effect called "Reverse Stereo". Disable this effect and it should be fine. I don't know if WMP has this feature but you can check. 

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #9 of 23

Quote:

That is exactly the problem. and what you suggest would fix my problem unless i am running a game or something =/
Quote:
This is the likely culprit.  Dig around in the Realtek HR Audio settings and find "Reverse Stereo".

I looked everywhere in Realtek HD audio setting, I couldn't find anything called reverse stereo. I also did a google search and I couldn't find an appropriate software that could do that. My version of Realtek is 2.66 which is the latest I think.

I will keep searching for a software and I would really appreciate it if you could point out a software that you think will do the job.

Thank you again, I really appreciate your help.

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #10 of 23
Reverse stereo is like a plugin/setting in some media player software. Since you are running Windows Media Player and Realtek HD, check all the settings in WMP, Windows and Realtek. Do you have a black jack (headphone out) on your PC? Maybe try plugging into that... 

Oct 26, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #11 of 23

Quote:
Reverse stereo is like a plugin/setting in some media player software. Since you are running Windows Media Player and Realtek HD, check all the settings in WMP, Windows and Realtek. Do you have a black jack (headphone out) on your PC? Maybe try plugging into that... 

There is a black jack but its for rear speakers and when I plug my headphones there they don't work. I think what you are saying that I could fix this problem when I am listening via WMP or VLC or maybe any other program that has reverse stereo option in it. What I mean is, what if I am not using media programs, for example games that do not have such option available. What I would like to know is a way to fix the problem so my headphone is on reversed stereo ALL the time regardless of the program I am running.

Just to illustrate the severity of the problem:
For example, in a game called "call of duty", when I hear someone coming from the right, I direct my weapon to that direction while actually the person is coming from my left, then boom im dead =/

Thanks again for taking the time to help me

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #12 of 23

Quote:

There is a black jack but its for rear speakers and when I plug my headphones there they don't work. I think what you are saying that I could fix this problem when I am listening via WMP or VLC or maybe any other program that has reverse stereo option in it. What I mean is, what if I am not using media programs, for example games that do not have such option available. What I would like to know is a way to fix the problem so my headphone is on reversed stereo ALL the time regardless of the program I am running.

Just to illustrate the severity of the problem:
For example, in a game called "call of duty", when I hear someone coming from the right, I direct my weapon to that direction while actually the person is coming from my left, then boom im dead =/

Thanks again for taking the time to help me

Actually what I'm trying to say is that some media players have a reverse stereo option, so maybe you accidentally "tripped" it but it seems like your problem is system wide. If you still get the problem while gaming, then it's got to be in the drivers, sound system settings or maybe even a hardware problem. Similar topics created in computer forums all point to a hardware problem. When did you start experiencing this problem? 

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #13 of 23
3 days ago when I first used the headset. =/

Edit:
I used the same headset on another computer and the same problem happened. But both computers have Realtek drivers, so I'll uninstall it and test again and let you know what if it'll make any different.

Oct 26, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #14 of 23
And this happens with all your headphones... Ever since you plugged in the new headphones...

Did you install any drivers recently? 

Oct 26, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #15 of 23
Only this headphone, my other headphone is working properly.

Also, I have uninstalled realtek audio manager and the problem is still the same.

and there is no specific driver or program i installed before this problem appeared, it simply started when I first used this headphone.

The problem I believe is definitely with the headphones not with anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back