Prog rock
Dec 10, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #63 of 4,520
Maybe different, after all it is only a personal choice. I nominated 36 albums for my top 10-15 of 2015, more likely the second option, as the year was again outstanding for prog and related releases.

True.  But if Pfillion prefers Earthside over Wilson, well, then I got to get some Earthside!

And bring the knowledge of the great albums!!!  I'm in Grad school, and have very little time for exploring.  Or is there another Prog thread that I should be scouring?

Oh, and great to 'meet' you, Willy

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #64 of 4,520
I'm a bit of a 'stick in the the mud' when it comes to Prog.

Progressive Rock with a capital 'P' to me is a genre of music of a particluar time and place. Mainly the 1970s and mainly England. One of invention, originality and musicianship. No where else and no other time could produce for instance the whacky brilliance of the whole Canterbury Scene. there is no more British music than the Hatfields or Caravan etc. 

Modern progressive rock with a small 'p' I consider to be by bands like Radiohead and Sigur Ros. Original and unique. 

The new Progressive Rock groups that I've head (not many) like Porcupine Tree and even current Rush are far too more Metal. The music starts out promisingly but then is soon drowned out in the thrash of guitar. All very 'Samey' Just my opinion and probably wrong.

I do however have Spotify Premium this moth so will give some of the bands listed above a try see if I'm missing something.

I haven't actually bought much Progressive Rock this year as i have such a large and complete  collection of the groups I love. I've actually bought more Jazz and Classical this year.

But this is what I've bought Prog related in 2015 for what its worth:-

Van der Graaf- Generator  After the Flood
King Crimson- Live in Mainz/Asbury Park
Banco- BMS/ Darwin
Deutsche Elektronische Musik Vol 1 compilation
Soft Machine box set 3/4/5/6/7th
Captain Beefheart - Doc a the Radar Station (well it's weird as usual)
Pink Floyd - Endless River (if its prog)
a couple of Phil Manzaneras (clutching at straws) !

(note not much all British AND 70s there)

EDIT I forgot Matching Mole- MATCHING MOLE !!

AND Klaus Schulze - Timewind download (everything else CD)

As usual please feel free to ignore my odd ramblings and enjoy your music.

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #65 of 4,520

AND Klaus Schulze - Timewind download (everything else CD)

As usual please feel free to ignore my odd ramblings and enjoy your music.

+1000 on Klaus Schulze.  I need to find copies of "Dark Side of the Moog".  I've never heard it... 
redface.gif
frown.gif

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #66 of 4,520
+1000 on Klaus Schulze.  I need to find copies of "Dark Side of the Moog".  I've never heard it...  :xf_eek: :frowning2:

That is also available to download on Qobuz at a price!

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #68 of 4,520
I'm +1 this thread to be resurrected too.
I'm always on the look out for new music, especially Prog .....big or small P :)

To me Prog is a huge genre with lots of sub categories within it, ranging from Radio friendly rock through to Jazzy Nordics and on to hard metal progsters.
As long as it moves me in some way, I'll happily listen to it all.

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #70 of 4,520
True.  But if Pfillion prefers Earthside over Wilson, well, then I got to get some Earthside!

And bring the knowledge of the great albums!!!  I'm in Grad school, and have very little time for exploring.  Or is there another Prog thread that I should be scouring?

Oh, and great to 'meet' you, Willy
Nice to meet you too, let us keep this thread alive:wink:

Dec 10, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #72 of 4,520
I'm +1 this thread to be resurrected too.
I'm always on the look out for new music, especially Prog .....big or small P :)

To me Prog is a huge genre with lots of sub categories within it, ranging from Radio friendly rock through to Jazzy Nordics and on to hard metal progsters.
As long as it moves me in some way, I'll happily listen to it all.

I'm with you on the Scandinavian Jazz ( also moden British Jazz eg Neil Cowley Trio Etc) If you love progressive rock then you may appreciate 'progressive jazz'..with a small'p':-D

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #73 of 4,520
I'm with you on the Scandinavian Jazz ( also moden British Jazz eg Neil Cowley Trio Etc) If you love progressive rock then you may appreciate 'progressive jazz'..with a small'p':-D

A good source of progressive (and Nordic) jazz can be found on Soma FM's Sonic Universe Internet station. Of course Morow.com has a great mix of new and classic prog.

Dec 11, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #75 of 4,520
I may have gone a bit far with the Jazzy element.
I'm not a big Jazz fan but do like the "feel" of it, so by "Jazz" I mean the type of sound you get from bands like King Crimson or the Swedish Änglagård.

Mind you, I'm always interested in new artists, so will check out those mentioned above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back